Wedding Invitations & Paper

Multi-lingual save the dates?

Our wedding isn't for another year, but my FI and I really want to send out our STDs ASAP. I know it's normally far too early to send them, but most of our VIPs live abroad, so we want them to have enough time to book reasonably prised flights.

Anyway, the point is that we are probably going to have a trilingual wedding, Punjabi, Icelandic and English. Do you think it's better to and out trilingual STDs, so that it's indicated early that the wedding will be trilignual, or to send out three sets, one for each language to the relevant people?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Multi-lingual save the dates?

• It's not too early to send them. STDs should be sent a year to 6 months out. Why do you need to indicate the ceremony will be tri-lingual? Do some of your guests not speak English and therefore won't be able to read the STD unless it's in their language? If not, I would just use English on them if everyone speaks it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    It's not too early to send them. STDs should be sent a year to 6 months out. Why do you need to indicate the ceremony will be tri-lingual? Do some of your guests not speak English and therefore won't be able to read the STD unless it's in their language? If not, I would just use English on them if everyone speaks it.
    One set of FI's grandparents and a few other members of her family don't understand English at all, and only understand Punjabi.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess I would go for the trilingual STDs, then.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Do the Icelandic folks understand English?  Also, just curious how long your ceremony will be if you need to do 3 languages?
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Do the Icelandic folks understand English?  Also, just curious how long your ceremony will be if you need to do 3 languages?
    They do yeah, but it's important to for FI to have it included. It won't be any longer than a normal ceremony, just different parts will be in different languages. We'll have the translations in the program.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a similar situation. About 1/3 of our guests are from Italy and speak little to no English. It was imperative to now-DH that the invites include Italian. We opted to print 2 sets. It got very busy with multiple languages. Also, some of the printing companies (we bought our save the dates from minted) cannot directly print non-latin or accented characters. So, double check with them regarding characters from different languages before you purchase!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our wedding isn't for another year, but my FI and I really want to send out our STDs ASAP. I know it's normally far too early to send them, but most of our VIPs live abroad, so we want them to have enough time to book reasonably prised flights.

Anyway, the point is that we are probably going to have a trilingual wedding, Punjabi, Icelandic and English. Do you think it's better to and out trilingual STDs, so that it's indicated early that the wedding will be trilignual, or to send out three sets, one for each language to the relevant people?
    If you can narrow down your STD languages to two, you could do a two sided STD, one in English and the other in say Punjabi so they mirror each other and your guests will see it will be a tri-lingual ceremony and event.
  • I would just make them trilingual. No need to send out three different versions in my mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards