Chit Chat

Work Vent

So, for anyone who has read some of my posts you know that 1) my FI works out of the sate for about 7 months out of the year, and 2) I can't stand my new boss.

I'm taking the rest of the week off and meeting FI at his parent's house to do a family reunion and I'm super excited since I have only seen him 3 times since April. Every other week I have a 1:1 meeting with my boss (we all do) and it's always on Wednesday. I was thinking BONUS! I get to see my FI and I don't have to talk to my boss this week. When I do the drive down there I usually cut out of work around 3 so I don't get in super late and just start work early. WELL, boss man decided to move the 1:1 to TODAY from 4-5, instead of getting an extra night with FI I will be trying not to poke myself in the eye while talking to the boss. 

I could use any funny stories, or just fun things you want to share to get me through this!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Work Vent

• I dread 1:1s with my boss. She's a space cadet so she'll go off topic constantly. Anyways funny story. (To me at least)

I have chickens in my backyard. Raccoons are pretty bold in the neighborhood so we've got a live trap out and propped open all the time. I've had this thing out for months and let the ladies out to free range after I get home from work. Never have they messed with it until last week. Go to the dog out and low and behold there's a chicken in the trap. Let her out, prop it back open and go inside. 20 minutes later FI goes out to smoke. Caught another one. He let's her out. You'd think by that point they'd stay away from it right? No. Not at all. Not whatsoever. Go back out about an hour later and yet again we've caught another chicken. (FI propped it open again) At that point I had caught as many chickens as I have coons in it. I've left it closed ever since as they may be smart in some ways, but dumb in others.
  • A 1:1 with my boss usually ends up with us quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail for 30 minutes and forgetting what the meeting was originally about. I love my boss--she's  crazy.

A couple of months ago, our squad's secretary stopped me when I was coming back from the restroom. Keep in mind this lady, although very nice, has no sense of social norms or boundaries. She gives me this wide-eyed look and throws her hands up in the air and says, "Well??"

I blink and ask, "Well, what?"

She leans forwards and asks in a loud 'whisper', "Are you pregnant??"

I have NO idea where this assumption came from. I certainly don't look pregnant on any normal day….perhaps it was was billowy top I was wearing that day?? I dunno, but I was taken aback and kind of put off by that.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wow.  That probably is the best reaction to being laid off I've ever seen.  I guess you brought your umbrella for when the stuff hits the fan!  Sounds like you are ready for a change, and you've got the perfect attitude for it. 
  • Thanks all for the uplifting stories, they are awesome! I had the BEST 1:1 today, I am getting laid off! Yep, probably the strangest reaction to it but I'm freaking thrilled and it's the best timing! My last day will be December 3rd unless I can move back to the town we just moved from 2yrs ago (not going to happen) and then I get 10 weeks severance pay. So that gets me to 3 weeks after the wedding and on FIs benefits. After that I find out if the other job I have been doing will go to a full time position and it's actually something I have been enjoying. Looks like things will fall into place just fine :)
    Did your 1:1 get move again? Looks like you can leave early now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards