Honeymoon Discussions
Options

september honeymoon

Hello. First time posting here but hoping for some insight! I am getting married Sept. 17 2016. I would love a Caribbean all inclusive honeymoon. Has to have a lot of options for excursions since my fiancé gets bored being on the beach all day everyday. The problem is, hurricane season! Mexico is where I had been thinking, because the prices are very affordable. I am considering Aruba now, as its not on the hurricane path. Aruba is just much more expensive. I would love to do all inclusive but I have heard Aruba is better without. We like to eat and drink freely on vacation without worrying about costs so it would be ideal to have it. I just cannot afford the big expensive places there. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to stay or suggestions at all? Thank you!

Re: september honeymoon

• Options
    I would go where you want and what works for your budget. Hurricane season is something to consider, but with the purchase of trip insurance, you can protect yourself if and when an issue may arise. Having traveled to Mexico last month, and traveled during hurricane season previously, I have only had a trip canceled once and it was to Hilton Head. Hurricanes are not very frequent and in fact, this season has been somewhat quiet so far. So, it's  risk worth taking. Plus, if you boo with a travel agent and have the insurance, you can work with the agent to change your plans up until the day you depart! Having someone help you rebook, if it comes to that, is so helpful during all of the wedding hoopla!

• Options
    Thanks for replying! I have had mixed reviews. a lot of people told me they went and weather was perfect. I had an equal amount tell me it rained a ton and wouldn't recommend it. I cant decide if I want to risk it! Aruba looks amazing, its just pricier.
  • Options
    I definitely agree that Aruba is not the right place to do AI. I've been to several areas in Mexico and Aruba and prefer Mexico personally.

• Options
    The ABCs are no longer outside of the hurricane zone.  NOAH changed the criteria years ago. 
    It's a crap shoot as is all weather.  Would you consider a cruise?  If you pick one that has lots of on board activities, & is port intensive & offers a drink package you can get most of what you & your FI seek in an AI but the ship can change course to get away from a hurricane & possibly ride into the sun.  That is not always the case & it rained the last day on our last cruise in January because the storm cell was just too big. 
  • Options
    We took a 7 day cruise in September last year for our honeymoon and we did another 7 day cruise this September, both in the Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Mexico, Belize, etc).

We had great weather both times, but the ship would have changed ports of call to avoid a hurricane if there was an issue. Last year, we saw it start to rain on shore as we pulled away from every port. We happened to stay ahead of the weather and it was always sunny and beautiful during the day and warm at night. This year it was just gorgeous weather the entire time.

As PP said, I would get trip insurance, but I wouldn't let hurricane season prevent me from booking the trip outright.
  • Options
    EveningTooEveningToo member
    First Comment
    edited September 2015
    St Lucia is sort of below the hurricane belt and has gorgeous hotels for a honeymoon! There are a few all inclusives there. 

If you really want Mexico, I would go - and get insurance of course! The service and value are unsurpassed and there are so many new excellent resorts. 

Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards