Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

IPOD DJ?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there were any experiences of weddings where there was no DJ and the bride and groom created a playlist instead. My FH and I have been toying with the idea a little bit but I'm concerned that it may be more trouble than it's worth. Also, if you have experience, what did they do about announcements such as introducing the wedding party, mother-son dance, cake cutting, etc.?

Thanks!

Re: IPOD DJ?

• Options
    I've been to one, and for the most part it was a lot of fun. The music was pretty good throughout, and definitely the kind of thing that our friend group liked, so we were all up on the floor dancing after dinner. (Both the bride and groom put a lot of thought into the songs, though - I'm told it took hours to get the playlist right.)

They did need an emcee for the evening, but I believe they had a friend who's used to being on stage and in front of people in that role for the night. Without that, I'm not sure it would have been successful at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    This is what we are doing.  I was given some good advice from Knotties to at least try to arrange the music so that a "get up and dance" song doesn't come on during the dinner service.  Other than that, we are just going to let them play in whatever order.  That said, dancing is not a priority / focus for us.  We will have a dance floor available, but you probably won't find either of us out there much (we both have 2 left feet) after our first dance (if we even do one at all).  You may need to put more time/thought into creating and arranging a play list if dancing is a focus of your reception entertainment.

Our hired officiant has agreed to make a brief announcement when we join the cocktail hour- no big entrance for us.  We will likely walk right in and do our first dance, then cut the cake, so no worries about having to have someone speak on and off through the night.  We're having a buffet and I think my DOC will take on the job of calling up tables for food.  No toasts for us either.  If you're doing a bigger entrance or plan on having more "activities" and such during the reception or having them more spread out throughout the night, you might want to find someone who could emcee for you, or just bite the bullet and get a DJ.

Good luck.

Edited for clarity.
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm still up in the air about this! I'm so worried that the playlist will get messed up. We both love to dance, so it would be a big problem if the music was messed up. Maybe considering a DJ is a better idea.
  • Options
    We're doing this at our wedding and I've made a very detail-oriented playlist (when we're all eating soft music will be playing, etc.). I love to dance and you can be sure my FI and I will be on the dance floor. For us it's really just a matter of having someone in charge of the laptop to make sure things are running smoothly. Since we have a smaller budget and we're DIY-ing almost everything, not having a DJ is going to save us a pretty penny!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards