Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Question on when to cash checks

Hi All,

My FH and I just received our first wedding check in the mail.

Is the proper etiquette here to send a thank you note immediately, but to not cash the check until after we are married (6 weeks away!!)?

Thanks!!

Re: Question on when to cash checks

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    That would be the proper etiquette with non-cash gifts, but with cash gifts, you need to cash them right away.  (Go ahead and send the thank-you note immediately; that's still proper.)  But don't spend the money until after your wedding.
    Yup, cash the check so the gift giver can balance their checkbook and send the thank you out now too.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!! :)

• Options
    Pupatella, you reminded me that my mom mailed me a check for wedding stuff almost 2 weeks ago and I still haven't cashed it... so thanks! XD 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Adding to this question...would it be ok to use the money towards an excursion for your honeymoon and booking it with this money?  We had someone send us a check also and I already mailed them a thank you note and was going to cash the check tomorrow.  But wasn't sure if we could use it for something we planned on doing on the honeymoon
  • Options

Adding to this question...would it be ok to use the money towards an excursion for your honeymoon and booking it with this money?  We had someone send us a check also and I already mailed them a thank you note and was going to cash the check tomorrow.  But wasn't sure if we could use it for something we planned on doing on the honeymoon

You are not supposed to use the money until after the wedding, bc if (God forbid) the wedding is cancelled, you must return all the gifts and cash. Cash the check, but don't spend it if you Don't have the funds to cover it.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

Of course! Spend it however you like! Just make sure you can repay the money if, god forbid, the wedding doesn't take place.
  • Options
    thank you for the feedback...we could pay for the money if god forbid the wedding wouldn't take place. 
  • Options
    Pupatella, you reminded me that my mom mailed me a check for wedding stuff almost 2 weeks ago and I still haven't cashed it... so thanks! XD 
    I took out my spring jacket this week and found a check inside. For a second I panicked and thought I had left a check in my jacket all summer. Luckily it was a voided check I had shoved in there during wedding craziness. Whew!
  • Options
    We plan on cashing our checks and writing our thank you notes a day or two after the wedding. Then our parents will going to send them out when we are on our honeymoon. 

Just make sure that the checks CLEARLY state your name, his name, or both.

My sister ran into issues where her bank would not cash the check because it was filed out to "Mr. & Mrs." 
  • Options
    If I were the guest that sent you the check I would prefer that you cashed the check immediately. If you waited until after your wedding I would be concerned after about 2 weeks that you didn't receive it and possibly put a stop payment on it and issue another check or be concerned that the mail was compromised & that some stranger has my bank information. There is probably a good reason it was sent to you early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards