Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination wedding/cruise-ish

My finace and I are considering taking a cruise the the Dominican republic with our guests (75-100 people) and having our ceremony on the beach and reception at a nearby resort. Unfortunately we are having a hard time finding a cruise line that includes the DR in its wedding package options. 

I'm thinking about coordinating the wedding with local vendors in DR and hoping and praying that everything works smoothly and we'll be able to have our ceremony and reception during the stop in the Dominican Republic. 

Has anyone done this before? Or have any tips for how I can execute this? 

I really appreciate it 

Re: Destination wedding/cruise-ish

• Options

Honestly, I wouldn't do it.  I do not cruise, but have an acquaintance who blogs about all of hers (and she's been on dozens). 

1. If they don't offer DR, there is probably a good reason, such as not having the amenities within a reasonable distance from the port.  Some of the ports I've seen her go to are actually quite industrial and require a lengthy cab ride to get to areas of interest.  I'm not sure what port in DR you would be going to, but La Romana is used for lots of the Carnival cruises and it has very poor ratings on Cruise Critic, noting nothing at the port itself.

2. Booking on your own means you have no safety net whatsoever.  Much like excursions, if you book through the cruise line, then you're at least guaranteed the boat won't leave without you.  On a privately booked excursion, you're SOL if you don't make it back to the boat in time.  What happens if things get off to a later start?  Or not all your guests make it back?  And you're coordinating this for 75-100 people?

3. What happens if your cruise gets rerouted due to weather or mechanical issues?  I know my friend has had at least three cruises where they missed planned ports of call at the last minute due to various issues.

Honestly, I would either book whatever the cruise line offers (even if that means not DR), pick another spot to get married and do it at either the departure port or final arrival port (this has the added bonus of people who can't commit to the money or time off for the full time period to still join you if you they can without the larger commitment of a cruise), or if you are dead set on DR but can't find any cruises that depart from there, then have a "traditional DW" in the DR and fly to somewhere close to depart on your cruise (again, allowing those that can join you to do so, but others who can't to feel free to leave).

• Options
    Why not just plan a DW to the DR and nix the cruise?

• Options

I agree with the above. I haven't heard of cruises stopping in the Dominican. Though, I don't cruise a lot. I was married in Cozumel, and there are many people who getting married while on a cruise during a port stop there. My wedding planner does many of these short wedding/receptions. Doing it at port also allows those who aren't into cruising attend the wedding without going on a cruise.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Like others said, there is likely a reason why DR isn't included as an option. 

Also, cruise weddings, due to higher cost and time requirements, tend to have higher decline rates. I had cruise wedding at port in US, so people could attend the wedding without having to cruise.  I invited around 80 people.  25 attended the wedding and only 14 of those joined us on the cruise. The cost and time was just too much for most people. So, if you do plan for a wedding that requires actually going on the cruise, be prepared for declines. And 75-100 people is a lot to expect them to shell out that amount of time and money.  I typically figure that if you are going to require high cost to your guests for attendance, you should limit the guest list to those few that are closest to you.

• Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts! In the short time since I posted this question I've realized that this wedding idea isnt going to work because of the planning that would go into it. The trips to the Dominican Republic prior to just to speak with vendors and ensure all of the i's are dotted and t's are crossed would not be a great idea financially. 
    We were not interested in having a typical destination wedding primarily because my best friend is having a destination wedding. 
    Back at square one I guess...
  • Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts! In the short time since I posted this question I've realized that this wedding idea isnt going to work because of the planning that would go into it. The trips to the Dominican Republic prior to just to speak with vendors and ensure all of the i's are dotted and t's are crossed would not be a great idea financially. 
    We were not interested in having a typical destination wedding primarily because my best friend is having a destination wedding. 

Most people who have DWs do NOT make trips to visit the vendors they have hired. They just rely on the resort wedding coordinator, or hired wedding coordinator, to work through things. This is because DWs are thought to be a less stressful alternative. I personally did not want to plan some elaborate wedding, and I travel frequently and had no guests, so a DW was a no-brainer. If you want to be super involved in planning, then you are making the right decision.

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Sorry but I don't see how going on a cruise and getting married at a port is any different then a typical destination wedding.  I mean you are staying on a big ass floating resort instead of a resort on land.  Same difference.

And to not have a 'typical' DW just because that is what your friend is doing is kind of silly.

• Options

Most people who have DWs do NOT make trips to visit the vendors they have hired. They just rely on the resort wedding coordinator, or hired wedding coordinator, to work through things. This is because DWs are thought to be a less stressful alternative. I personally did not want to plan some elaborate wedding, and I travel frequently and had no guests, so a DW was a no-brainer. If you want to be super involved in planning, then you are making the right decision.

This.  I got married on a cruise ship while at port in New Orleans.  I had never been on this cruise ship.  DH had never been on a cruise at all. Neither of us had ever been to NOLA. My first time in NOLA was 3 days before the wedding. We planned the wedding by communicating solely via e-mail with the ships wedding coordinators. I hired hair/makeup vendor without ever meeting them. I did a trial 2 days before my wedding, just so we could change anything if I wasn't happy with the result.  But, I did the destination wedding so that I could depend on the wedding coordinators to do all the planning and work.  I chose not to customize much, because I was looking for a simplified wedding with little planning on my part. The coordinators did most of the work and I never had to travel.  

• Options
    thanks again...and in regards to me not wanting to have a typical destination wedding being silly because that is what my friend is doing... I cant find anything silly with it! Our weddings will be months apart, we have lots of mutual friends and we both want memorable weddings. We do not want any ideas duplicated. But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    thanks again...and in regards to me not wanting to have a typical destination wedding being silly because that is what my friend is doing... I cant find anything silly with it! Our weddings will be months apart, we have lots of mutual friends and we both want memorable weddings. We do not want any ideas duplicated. But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond
    I have attended dozens of weddings. Honestly, they all have the same things. I don't remember what the flowers looked like, or what my favor was, or what the bridesmaids dresses looked like. I remember if I was properly hosted, and if I had fun. That's what you should focus on, instead of trying to pull off a "memorable" wedding by not duplicating ideas. That just seems incredibly juvenile. 
  • Options
    @jells2dot0 what is with the new siggy?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @KatWAG it is in reference to a post on this board. The OP kept throwing out her financials and it made me think of Dave Chapelle.

• Options
    spockforprezspockforprez member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    @KatWAG it is in reference to a post on this board. The OP kept throwing out her financials and it made me think of Dave Chapelle.
    Was that a recent one? I remember one where it was like, "Oh please, my parents have six houses and my FH and I make 8 figures" or whatever but I thought I was way back in the archives reading old posts when I saw that. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Was that a recent one? I remember one where it was like, "Oh please, my parents have six houses and my FH and I make 8 figures" or whatever but I thought I was way back in the archives reading old posts when I saw that. 

It was two weeks ago or so. I changed my siggy back then. Not really sure why it's such a big deal?

• Options
    It was two weeks ago or so. I changed my siggy back then. Not really sure why it's such a big deal?
    Your siggy? It's not...? I was wondering if we had read the same post or if there was another one that could entertain me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It was this thread, which is located a few posts down from this one on the DW page:

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    If you are being married in a port, then you make your wedding arrangements in the port.  You have your wedding according to the laws of that port.  The cruise ship has nothing to do with it.

If you are having your wedding on the ship before the ship sails (from Florida, perhaps?) the ship will make the arrangements, but it will not be cheap.  Your guests will be allowed on board for your morning or early afternoon ceremony, followed by a brief reception.  The ship's event coordinator will explain your very few options.  Large weddings do not fit this plan.  Evening ceremonies are not possible because the ship will be at sea.

If you want to be married onboard a ship while at sea this is possible with a few cruise ship lines.  Princess Cruises has been doing it for a few years.  However, you must pay for the cruise fare for your guests.  You cannot invite them to an event for which they must pay admission.  There will be a substantial charge for the ceremony and reception.  This usually only works well for very small families, or very wealthy ones.

WARNING!!!  There is no guarantee that your cruise ship will stop in any port on its itinerary!  Weather and sea conditions can cause the ship to miss your port.  Imagine having your guests gathered, waiting for you in DR, and then being told that you can't make it to your own wedding!

Domincan Republic marriage laws require a lot of advanced preparation.  Here it is:

http://www.puntacana.com/wedding-requirements-in-dominican-republic.html

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards