Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

copyrights

"copyrights to prints/photos/digitals" have been brought up lately.  I have read that some photographers have added an extra fee for anyone who wants that.

Mine come with the flash drive and the rights to copy and reprint....what is the main difference of the two?  I don't see myself needing rights to the digitals as long as I can print out any that I'll have on the flash drive. Is it a common practice where the photographer has the rights to the images, but we, as clients have the rights to copy and repint as needed?

Re: copyrights

• Options
    So I emailed the photographer and got the answer.   That seems normal.  They own them.  They took them....clients get to use them.  So am I reading that some places charge extra to use your own photos?

• Options
    I believe some want to keep the rights to the photos so they can sell you the prints. So instead of being able to assess them at anytime and get as many prints as you want, or print pictures in different sizes, you'd have to go through the photographer and they will have the prints made for you based on your order. If you ever took pictures in school its similar to that I'm thinking, you get to see the pictures your paying for but order different packages depending on the photos you want. 
  • Options

Some photographers will put a watermark on all of your photos and to get them without the watermark you have to order the photos through them compared to getting photos without the photographers watermark that you can go to Walmart to print for a fraction of the cost the photographer will charge you.

• Options
    Thanks :)  It makes sense to me I guess I never even thought about it though, until it was brought up in some posts.

• Options
    AussieCat42AussieCat42 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2015
    "copyrights to prints/photos/digitals" have been brought up lately.  I have read that some photographers have added an extra fee for anyone who wants that.

Mine come with the flash drive and the rights to copy and reprint....what is the main difference of the two?  I don't see myself needing rights to the digitals as long as I can print out any that I'll have on the flash drive. Is it a common practice where the photographer has the rights to the images, but we, as clients have the rights to copy and repint as needed?
    It depends on your photographer. As PP have said, some will retain all printing right so that you have to purchase prints through them, and the ones you have will have a watermark on them. More frequently now, though, what it means is that the photographer retains the copyright (i.e. they own the photos), and they will give the couple the rights towards printing.

In practise, this means you can print whatever photos you want, give them to whatever family you want, create your own photobooks, etc. What you can't do is either a) sell the photos yourselves (to a magazine or wherever), b) give them to someone hoping to make money from them, or c) prevent your photographer from doing either a) or b) with your photos. If these are things that are important to you, you should speak about your concerns directly with the photographer. 
  • Options
    My photographer includes in her packages that we receive the rights to print and depending on the package, you get different CDs. My package includes:
    Archival quality disk of all images in high resolution
    Rights to Print and Share
    Convenience Disk with all edited images ready to print and share also
    (The last disk is not included in her smaller package but everything else is)

One of the reasons I went with her is because I know her work, have been previously photographed by her, and because of the Rights to print and share my photos.

She does state in her contract that she can use any photograph she takes for her business (advertising, public display for business purposes, ect). It was really fun to log into FB one day and see a pic of my step-son from a family session she did for her Throwback day ad.
    11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
    10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
    11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

It depends on your photographer. As PP have said, some will retain all printing right so that you have to purchase prints through them, and the ones you have will have a watermark on them. More frequently now, though, what it means is that the photographer retains the copyright (i.e. they own the photos), and they will give the couple the rights towards printing.

In practise, this means you can print whatever photos you want, give them to whatever family you want, create your own photobooks, etc. What you can't do is either a) sell the photos yourselves (to a magazine or wherever), b) give them to someone hoping to make money from them, or c) prevent your photographer from doing either a) or b) with your photos. If these are things that are important to you, you should speak about your concerns directly with the photographer. 
    QFT.

The bolded is important for anyone who cares about privacy, especially if there are safety reasons for your wedding not being widely advertised (ex: restraining order on a violent ex). If your photographer has copyrights, they can generally put your photos out there as marketing materials without your knowledge or consent. Most of the time, that's not a big deal, but if it's something that can be dangerous for you, make sure you get the copyright of the images. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards