Snarky Brides
Options

Should I tell the bride about her cheating fiance?

I am the maid of honor in my good friend's wedding tomorrow. She got engaged to this guy very quickly because he is an immigrant and he wants a visa so he can visit his family in his home country and because she really wants to get married. I just met the guy for the first time yesterday. He's very quiet and speaks very limited English.

We hung out until late last night, just the three of us and had a good time, except one moment where I gave him a congratulatory hug and he put his hand on my butt and tongue kissed me, right in front of the bride . I pulled away and called him out and he and she said I was mistaken. My friend said she knew it wasn't his tongue because "he never uses tongue when he kisses." She told me it was just a wet kiss, which is a "Latino thing."

When I left to go to my hotel, she repeatedly insisted he walk me there, even though I told her I was fine and wanted to walk alone. He carried my backpack and when we got to the door of my hotel, he told me sorry for the kiss, but that I am just so "bonita." I awkwardly told him that is because his fiance is beautiful, inside and out, so of course she would attract beautiful friends. He gave me another hug, again putting his hands on my butt and pressing his crotch against me.

He spent the next half-hour telling me he is getting married so he can go home and all come back to the USA and all the issues and worries he has about getting married. I had trouble following because of his broken English, but I think he was trying to say he doesn't really want to marry my friend. He did that helps hug thing three or four more times during this.

I finally was able to break away and told him I was tired and going to bed and asked for my backpack. He wouldn't give it to me, telling me he wanted to walk me inside. Once inside, I again asked for my bag and he said he he would give it to me by the elevator. I started looking around for someone else, but it was late and there wasn't even someone at the desk.

Thank God there was someone waiting on the elevator. I again demanded my backpack and he said, "are you sure you don't want me to walk you to your room?" I said no, jumped in the elevator, and cried for an hour in my room.

I don't know what to do. I feel like, if I tell my friend, she won't believe me and will take his side. Even if she does, I am guessing she will still marry him and she will dump me as a friend. But I feel wrong standing up in her wedding knowing her fiance is a creep. I was charged on by my ex-husband and would love to avoid that pain and divorce for my friend.

No matter what I do, I lose. So what is the right decision?

Re: Should I tell the bride about her cheating fiance?

• Options

I am the maid of honor in my good friend's wedding tomorrow. She got engaged to this guy very quickly because he is an immigrant and he wants a visa so he can visit his family in his home country and because she really wants to get married. I just met the guy for the first time yesterday. He's very quiet and speaks very limited English. We hung out until late last night, just the three of us and had a good time, except one moment where I gave him a congratulatory hug and he put his hand on my butt and tongue kissed me, right in front of the bride . I pulled away and called him out and he and she said I was mistaken. My friend said she knew it wasn't his tongue because "he never uses tongue when he kisses." She told me it was just a wet kiss, which is a "Latino thing." When I left to go to my hotel, she repeatedly insisted he walk me there, even though I told her I was fine and wanted to walk alone. He carried my backpack and when we got to the door of my hotel, he told me sorry for the kiss, but that I am just so "bonita." I awkwardly told him that is because his fiance is beautiful, inside and out, so of course she would attract beautiful friends. He gave me another hug, again putting his hands on my butt and pressing his crotch against me. He spent the next half-hour telling me he is getting married so he can go home and all come back to the USA and all the issues and worries he has about getting married. I had trouble following because of his broken English, but I think he was trying to say he doesn't really want to marry my friend. He did that helps hug thing three or four more times during this. I finally was able to break away and told him I was tired and going to bed and asked for my backpack. He wouldn't give it to me, telling me he wanted to walk me inside. Once inside, I again asked for my bag and he said he he would give it to me by the elevator. I started looking around for someone else, but it was late and there wasn't even someone at the desk. Thank God there was someone waiting on the elevator. I again demanded my backpack and he said, "are you sure you don't want me to walk you to your room?" I said no, jumped in the elevator, and cried for an hour in my room. I don't know what to do. I feel like, if I tell my friend, she won't believe me and will take his side. Even if she does, I am guessing she will still marry him and she will dump me as a friend. But I feel wrong standing up in her wedding knowing her fiance is a creep. I was charged on by my ex-husband and would love to avoid that pain and divorce for my friend. No matter what I do, I lose. So what is the right decision?
    So your friend witnessed her FI kiss you, made up excuses and defended him? Then she lets him walk you back to your hotel after this, and you hang around with him for another half hour after he ass-grabbed and crotch-pressed you?

I call MUD on this.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Well, she's totally blind to this guy, obviously. She's making excuses for the guy because she wants to get married and she doesn't want to see the obvious signs this guy is a con artist.

And he had my backpack with all my stuff in it. I didn't want to leave my wallet with him and he wouldn't give it to me even though I kept asking. I kept thinking, "maybe I'm imagining him doing this. Maybe that's just where his hand naturally rests and he doesn't realize his crotch is touching me." Once it repeatedly happened, I knew it wasn't an accident.

Regardless, I didn't ask for this or encourage it, so I'm not sure what your criticism is supposed to help . I'm a shy person who was taught never to make a scene. I've always had trouble speaking up for myself and I've been working on it; I have a long way to go. If you think this is fake, feel free to skip past it. Trust me, there is nothing fun or funny about this situation.
  • Options
    Well, she's totally blind to this guy, obviously. She's making excuses for the guy because she wants to get married and she doesn't want to see the obvious signs this guy is a con artist. And he had my backpack with all my stuff in it. I didn't want to leave my wallet with him and he wouldn't give it to me even though I kept asking. I kept thinking, "maybe I'm imagining him doing this. Maybe that's just where his hand naturally rests and he doesn't realize his crotch is touching me." Once it repeatedly happened, I knew it wasn't an accident. Regardless, I didn't ask for this or encourage it, so I'm not sure what your criticism is supposed to help . I'm a shy person who was taught never to make a scene. I've always had trouble speaking up for myself and I've been working on it; I have a long way to go. If you think this is fake, feel free to skip past it. Trust me, there is nothing fun or funny about this situation.
    If this isn't MUD I personally would tell my friend, but I also would acknowledge that this would probably be a friendship ending move if my friend wasn't ready to hear what  I had to say. 
  • Options
    Well if this is true, then what the PP said. I would tell my friend, but be prepared for her not to listen and to possibly end your friendship for what she may see as you trying to ruin her marriage, despite your intentions being in her best interest. I would feel extremely guilty for the rest of my life if I didn't say anything to my good friend as to what was going on.

And I wouldn't get within a hundred feet of that guy. As far as I'm concerned, he sexually assaulted you by making sexual moves on you without your consent.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My boyfriend has agreed he will never be allowed in our house and I got one of the best-timed bouts of food poisoning ever, so I've been able to avoid him since the incident (although the food poisoning has been pretty awful). I do feel taken advantage of and slimy. I just thought he was being weird and creepy at first, but when he came inside and wouldn't take, "please give me my backpack, I want to go to bed," as an answer, I got really scared. If there wasn't a key scan on the elevator, I wouldn't have slept at all.

I wish the wedding was farther away. There is something so unsavory about telling a bride about this on her wedding day. My friend has never been happier and it breaks my heart to think of ruining that. It's so unfair; all I wanted was to go to bed and now I am punished no matter what I do, while he will get off with no ill consequences whatsoever.
  • Options
    Your friend obviously isn't going to believe you or care, seeing as how she didn't believe you or care when she witnessed it for herself.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Forget telling your friend, you need to tell the police. He sexually assaulted you. I know it can be very difficult to report when things like this happen you, especially if you've been raised to always be polite and not make a scene (this is coming from someone who could never bring herself to go to the police when she was assaulted), but please, please do this. This guy is scum. Your friend might be mad at you, might even end the relationship, but in the long run you'd be doing her a favor.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Forget telling your friend, you need to tell the police. He sexually assaulted you. I know it can be very difficult to report when things like this happen you, especially if you've been raised to always be polite and not make a scene (this is coming from someone who could never bring herself to go to the police when she was assaulted), but please, please do this. This guy is scum. Your friend might be mad at you, might even end the relationship, but in the long run you'd be doing her a favor.

This. Assuming the OP is true, you told your friend, she not only didn't believe you but sent you off with a guy who assaulted you. Your safety needs to take priority over her hurt feelings. She was a jerk to you.
  • Options
    You should probably get them a spot on that TLC show "90 day fiance" 
  • Options
    Alright, some of you are going to be disappointed in me, but I ended up not saying anything to my friend. However I did tell the bridesmaid who also officiated the wedding. She let me know that it's pretty easy to get an annulment for up to a year, so I'm not under the time crunch that I thought I was.

Yes, the groom made me feel very uncomfortable, but there was no one to see, so it would be a case of him vs me. Trying to bring in authorities would have resulted in nothing besides a lot of angry people. And he was so nice at the wedding and he and my friend looked so happy, it was almost hard for me to believe what happened did happen. But I know it did and I wrote it down in detail so I would remember better.

He did keep pestering me to dance (which I did not) and he was looking and smiling at me as much as the bride during the ceremony. He kept waving and saying hello during pictures. It was like he wanted to prove everything was okay or... I don't know. It was weird. I asked the other bridesmaid where his hand rested when he had it around her waist for pictures and she confirmed he does know the difference between a butt and a back.

Overall, I know this relationship is doomed. And I know it will cause my friend a lot of heartache. I'm going to give her some "honeymoon" period, then tell her what happened when she comes to me about a fight between them. She deserves at least a little bit of happiness from all this mess.
  • Options
    Alright, some of you are going to be disappointed in me, but I ended up not saying anything to my friend. However I did tell the bridesmaid who also officiated the wedding. She let me know that it's pretty easy to get an annulment for up to a year, so I'm not under the time crunch that I thought I was. Yes, the groom made me feel very uncomfortable, but there was no one to see, so it would be a case of him vs me. Trying to bring in authorities would have resulted in nothing besides a lot of angry people. And he was so nice at the wedding and he and my friend looked so happy, it was almost hard for me to believe what happened did happen. But I know it did and I wrote it down in detail so I would remember better. He did keep pestering me to dance (which I did not) and he was looking and smiling at me as much as the bride during the ceremony. He kept waving and saying hello during pictures. It was like he wanted to prove everything was okay or... I don't know. It was weird. I asked the other bridesmaid where his hand rested when he had it around her waist for pictures and she confirmed he does know the difference between a butt and a back. Overall, I know this relationship is doomed. And I know it will cause my friend a lot of heartache. I'm going to give her some "honeymoon" period, then tell her what happened when she comes to me about a fight between them. She deserves at least a little bit of happiness from all this mess.
    So wait. Not only did you not tell her friend that her now Husband cheated on her, but you told another one of her friends. Homeboy sounds like a controlling person, and probably won't willingly let you friend get a divorce if his past pushy/abusive behaviors are anything to show for it. His whole plan on getting married for the travel benefits will not stay if they get an annulment, causing him to probably not agree to the annulment. Also, considering she saw what he did to you and married him anyway he could argue that she was aware of his behaviors when they got married, nulling the annulment process......

Planning on telling her when they have a fight? Yeah I'm going back to calling MUD or you are very very young. 
  • Options
    Okay, I'm sorry I came here and asked for any advice. I'm tired of being called a liar.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm sorry I came here and asked for any advice. I'm tired of being called a liar.
    People gave you advice and you didn't take any of it, so that didn't do you very good either.....
  • Options

Alright, some of you are going to be disappointed in me, but I ended up not saying anything to my friend. However I did tell the bridesmaid who also officiated the wedding. She let me know that it's pretty easy to get an annulment for up to a year, so I'm not under the time crunch that I thought I was.

Yes, the groom made me feel very uncomfortable, but there was no one to see, so it would be a case of him vs me. Trying to bring in authorities would have resulted in nothing besides a lot of angry people. And he was so nice at the wedding and he and my friend looked so happy, it was almost hard for me to believe what happened did happen. But I know it did and I wrote it down in detail so I would remember better.

He did keep pestering me to dance (which I did not) and he was looking and smiling at me as much as the bride during the ceremony. He kept waving and saying hello during pictures. It was like he wanted to prove everything was okay or... I don't know. It was weird. I asked the other bridesmaid where his hand rested when he had it around her waist for pictures and she confirmed he does know the difference between a butt and a back.

Overall, I know this relationship is doomed. And I know it will cause my friend a lot of heartache. I'm going to give her some "honeymoon" period, then tell her what happened when she comes to me about a fight between them. She deserves at least a little bit of happiness from all this mess.

I understand not wanting to talk to the police. I've had situations like yours and the police weren't helpful and blamed me for everything. But I would recommend that you at least talk to a lawyer about your options (restraining order might be something that you want to look into).
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, if you would go to the police about what happened, or file a PFA/restraining order, what would happen to his alien status?  When my uncle and my boss married their wives (both from other continents), they had a lengthy/instense screening process.  to my understanding, depending on what is reported/filed, it may put a hiccup in his legal status.
  • Options
    I'm sorry I missed OP. I'm wondering why she didn't give him a quick knee to the groin.

• Options
    I got as far as "visa" and stopped.

either MUD or she should bail FAST
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards