Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress Cost - Real Talk

Okay, I need some like real talk right now - how much should I expect to be spending on a wedding dress? We are trying to keep costs down as much as possible, which we were able to do for our venue (after much hunting) and DJ (at least compared to others in the area). 

However, when we started looking at photographers, we were shocked by how expensive it can be. We've come around and are starting to accept that we have to spend at least $3000 (I found out that my brother paid four times that amount, so apparently that's not even considered expensive by lots of people around here) to get the kind of photos that we want (and have been advised by many people that photography is not the place to cut costs too much), but I don't want to feel blindsided like that with the next item. If it helps, we're in (northern) Jersey. 

I don't plan on buying a very expensive dress, but I just need some reference for what expensive and inexpensive even mean. Wedding planning has warped everything.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Dress Cost - Real Talk

• My dress was 700. It was the most I have ever spent on any dresses combined and I went to a lot of high school dances but compared to a lot of others I know my dress was cheap.
  • I bought mine pre-owned and it was $75; in store new it was $399. It really depends on the type of dress you want and what you're really ok with doing budget-friendly. If you are open you might be able to find something at the DB $99 sale they have once or twice a year, but some people are more picky or want something nicer than a cheaper DB dress and will spend thousands. I had also ordered a dress online from Macy's that was $99 that was more casual but still would have worked as a bridal gown had I not found another I liked better.

My boss helped her niece pick out her dress about a year before I was looking and I remember she was like yea you should check out XYZ store it they have nice dresses and are very reasonable, most aren't much more than $1,000 and I laughed to myself thinking no way I'm spending that much.

• Set a dress budget you are comfortable with and go from there, there is no price you should expect to pay. I set a $2000 budget for myself and ended up paying $1300 for the dress before alterations. It's very individual and the range for a wedding dress is huge. My advice is decide what you want to spend FIRST and then don't look over that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It really depends on what you're looking for and where you go. Gowns with intricate details, like beading, cost more because they are more labor intensive. Also, bigger or more well-known bridal salons may drive up prices. I spent $2750 on a somewhat simple Hayley Paige ball gown at Nordstrom's Bridal Suite.

There are places with affordable options, BHLDN has a good range, and as PP mentioned David's Bridal has $99 sales. Just be honest with your consultant (if you go to a salon) about your budget. Call ahead of time to see how many options they have in the price range you feel comfortable. You can definitely find great dresses without busting the bank. 

• It depends on what YOU want to budget for a dress. You can find a dress for under $100 if you can't afford more than that and you look at the right places during sales. However, most wedding dresses are going to be in the $1000 range or more. Set a budget and then look for anything around that figure or less. Don't think that just because you have a budget, you won't find anything less; you very well might and a good bridal shop will show you options up to and including your price point without going over.

My budget for my dress is $3500, but most of the dresses I'm loving are $2000 or less. I doubt I'm going to get up to the $3500 figure.

Also keep in mind that you have to figure alterations, which generally run several hundred for wedding dresses.
  • I would definitely add in about $400 (to be safe) for alterations. My budget was around $1000, and my dress was a little under that, but I did not anticipate alterations costing $300.

I got mine from David's, and don't consider it to be a "discount" or cheap dress at all. So whatever your budget is, own it, and go from there.
  • Just like most things, you can find dresses in pretty much every price range you can imagine.    

David's Bridal has the $99 sales once (twice?) a year or you can go to  Kleinfeld's and get $20,000 dresses.   

Set a budget of how much you want to spend and go from there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Like others said, you can find wedding dresses in almost any price range.

BUT... I would only caution you that you DO get what you pay for pretty much.  Don't expect to find a silk dress with lots of lace and ornate embellishments brand new for only $200.  Sometimes you find these chinese knock-off dresses that are supposed to be an amazing deal, when really they're a cheap piece of garbage.  

Go shopping, get a feel for what you like, and then shop around some more because you might find your dream dress for cheaper somewhere else, or a similar dress for less.  But just don't expect a couture gown at the $99 sale, you know?

SaveSave
  • Like all things wedding, figure out what you can afford.  You don't have to spend your entire or go over your budget to have a beautiful wedding gown.  The first step is in being comfortable with what you're going to spend.  Next, think outside of the box, JC Penny, Macys, Nordstroms have online options available for wedding dresses (which give you a limited return window).  With Prom season coming up there are going to be some beautiful white dresses coming on the market.  Don't go to Kleinfelds and expect a $200 dress.  Second hand, Goodwill, ebay! (be cautious!), Craigslist (again - be cautious) also offer a way to save on your dress budget but come with the challenge of you need to find an alterations person.  You could if you've got sewing skills make a gown yourself.  It really all depends on what you want. 

A few things - many bridal shops operate off of commission.  Wedding gown shopping is a very emotional sale, you WILL have a dress for your wedding if you don't purchase it from that shop today.  Order a dress that is as close to your measurements as possible to keep your cost of alterations down.  If you tell a bridal shop "I have a budget of $1000 they're going to do their best to spend every penny of it when there are other add-on expenses you're going to have which can almost double the cost of the dress.  If you tell them I have a budget of $500 with $500 for alterations, undergarments (petticoat and strapless long-line), tiara, veil, and shoes, you're giving them what they've realistically got to work with.  It's easier to go $100 over your budget when you've set aside money to pay for the add-ons than it is to finance the add-ons if you've gone over your total budget on just the dress itself.  Whatever you do, DO NOT even try on a dress that is over your budget!   

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    David's Bridal is a great place for brides on a budget.  They manufacture ALL of their dresses in their factories in China, so there is no middleman.  Check out their website, and don't overlook clearance dresses.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_wedding-dresses-all-wedding-dresses

Other less expensive manufacturers would be Alfred Angelo, Mori Lee, Da Vinci.  Stay away from internet Chinese sites.  These can be notorious rip offs!  Never buy a dress unless you have actually tried it on in person.  Never!  You can save a lot of money on veils by buying through some good internet sites, though.  Veils aren't all that complicated.

My daughter's dress in 2011 cost us $735, and it was her dream dress.  We ordered it through a reliable USA discounter after looking at it in a shop.  Daughter also skipped the DJ and used prerecorded music (IPOD). 
    The biggest expense for your wedding will be food and drink for your guests.  Go over to the budget board for help on wedding planning.  It doesn't need to cost a fortune.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks everyone! Of course I will go to a store with a budget in mind and not look at any dress above it. I just wanted a general idea of what that budget should realistically look like.

Thanks again!
  • As someone mentioned before, alterations and accessories can add up and you think you're paying $1200 for a wedding gown and then end up spending $2000 with alterations, veil, shoes, ect.  I am from NJ and I bought my gown at Hollywood Bridal in Kennilworth.  I specifically went there because my SIL had bought her dress there and I knew they did free alterations, which to me, was huge!  I borrowed my veil from my MOH, as well.  This saved a lot.  Just helpful hints to keep in mind!!  Good luck and enjoy the process!!! 
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    I set myself a $1,000 budget, even though my mom was willing to pay more.  I visited consignment stores before going into an actual bridal salon.  I found some nice stuff at the consignment places but still thought the prices were too high for a used dress.  

I ended up going to a fancy shop that my boss's sister owns, and told them my price point.  She told me "We will make that work no matter what dress you decide on".  The dress I ended up picking had a $1300 price tag, but she discounted it for me so it came in under 1k.  But then, I added a veil, and a belt, and then of course sales tax, so I ended up around $1300 anyway.  

The main costs that were sticker shock for me was alterations and steaming.  My dress was all lace, with no horizontal seams.  Despite ordering in a petite length, it was still about 4 inches too long and I wasn't willing to wear super tall heels all day/evening.  Hemming the dress alone was $250.  The rest of the alterations and the steaming, with the hemming, ended up being $600.

So, point is, if you're looking to save money, look for dresses without a lot of detail or that fit you nicely with minimal alterations. Corset back dresses will allow for flexibility without alterations as well.  

I also completely regret not visiting David's Bridal.  I had an appointment, but got swept up in the fancy salon atmosphere so I cancelled it and bought my dress.  In hindsight, while I love my dress, I feel like I could have found something nice at a lower price.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • My budget was as little as possible. I think I was thinking that I wouldn't go over about $400. I ended up spending less than $300, including alterations and shoes. There are gorgeous dresses in almost every shape and style for a few hundred dollars if you know where to look - David's Bridal or similar. I bought mine from simplybridal.com.
  • My dress has yet to come in but one tip regarding alterations that my bridal salon told me was due to the lace trim on the bottom of my dress it was a good idea to provide the designer with a hollow to hem measurement.  It cost a little extra to do so in my case but would save me money on alterations in the long run.  If you find a dress that is very detailed and does not have a waistline seam that is a good question to ask! 

Also, do your research with bridal salons.  They each can offer very different services in regards to alterations/steaming/storing your dress.  The salon I bought from stores and steams all dresses bought from them for free. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Totally depends on what you're looking for. I wanted lace and beading, so I found around $1,500 was a good price for a nice looking, quality made dress. But then alterations (changing the neckline, taking it in, bustling) cost me another $550! Ugh. But if you want a less intricate dress, you can go with a much lower price point. 

Keep in mind attire costs may also include veil (etsy has some great, quality low cost options) hair piece, earrings, necklace, shoes, bracelet, etc. I used a family members veil, and got my hairpiece, earrings and bracelet at a bridal consignment shop for $150, and shoes for $100, but it added up quick! 
  • I spent $1300 on my dress and $400 on alterations. It's certainly not inexpensive, but it's cheap compared to other dresses. As many have said, there are many ways to go budget friendly, and save money. But, it's really up to you.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • It all depends on what you want. They range anywhere from $99- $10,000+. And then you have to factor in alterations if you need them. My friend had her gown made by an esty shop and it cost her $300, but she had to add about another $450 in alterations. I bought mine at a bridal solan and it cost me just over $500 but I don't need any alterations. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't been able to go shopping yet, but I feel the same way you do!  This is one place I feel I can really control the cost and I intend to do so.  I found a day spa near me that sells dresses on consignment.  It is in a very expensive area and so the dresses are very nice designer gowns and the woman sells them for 80-90% off.  I found this through word of mouth, not published anywhere. So consider getting creative.

Also, look for sample sales.  I went to school in North Jersey and had seen a dress years ago in SoHo I loved.  I went back to visit friends and the shop was having a sample sale.  Turns out I hated the dress I thought I would love but did find another one I liked.  The dress would only have cost me $465 dollars... I ended up not buying it because I liked it but was worried it wouldn't match what I really wanted to look like, but that's a pretty solid deal I felt.  I think the gown was originally $1100 or $1200 dollars.

There are definitely ways to save!
  • I bought my dress at Camille La Vie in Northern NJ for ~$700.
  • If you are really strapped for cash, having a small budget wedding, etc., preowned could be a great idea. Or sample sales at places that carry some of the less expensive designers.

Less expensive doesn't always mean less desirable. Remember that. For instance, when my mother got remarried she at first bought this beautiful designer gown, thinking it'd look great once she had on the correct size. She hated it when it came in, ended up exchanging it for store credit ($200, a fraction of what she paid). But she found a $120 dress in the sale area in her size (someone hadn't wanted it after ordering it, I guess), so she used her credit toward that and shoes and a veil. She looked and felt amazing-- much better than the more expensive dress.

• I know I have mentioned this before.  If you need to go to some reliable discount stores, that are real stores there is Pearl's Place, and Netbride.  Both are very helpful and offer great discounts from good designers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards