Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Man of Honor attire

Hi, I have a man of honor in my wedding (my brother).  The groomsmen are all wearing black vests and green ties to match the bridesmaids.  I was going to have my brother wear a black vest and pink tie to match the flower girls.  My FH is wearing white vest and white tie.... I'm wondering if it is inappropriate that my brother wear a different color tie than the other groomsmen/best men, seeing as he is not the groom and the groom should be the only one who stands out?  Or is it OK since he is on my side?  

Re: Man of Honor attire

• Options
    I will (likely) have 2 bridesmen. My plan is to have them dress in a similar style as the groomsman but have a different tie, boutonnieres, or maybe even a jacket to match the bridesmaids. I will discuss different options with them and FI before we decide.

I don't quite get why he would match the flower girls instead of the bridesmaids. Maybe you could make his boutonniere match the bridesmaid bouquets in a different way than the groomsmens do?

Really i think it's up to you, your FI, and your brother. Im not sure there is much precedent for bridesmen as far as etiquette and fashion guides go. Lol
  • Options
    You are overthinking. My concern though is: will your brother be comfortable in a pink tie, if that's what you choose? Or will he dislike the idea of matching the little girls instead of the other men?
  • Options
    What?  No jacket?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    I think you have a fine plan, as long as your brother is fine matching the flower girls. You could also possibly give him a different color green to wear, or a different boutonniere (as treehugginbride suggested). 

I have 4 bridesmaids and 2 bridesmen, and FI has 4 groomsmen and 2 groomsmaids (or whatever you want to call them). I'll probably have the ladies and gentlemen on my side wear black dresses & ties and those on his side wear blue.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  The groomsmen are matching the bridesmaids in green so I was thinking have my brother match the flower girls just so there is a differentiation (the wedding colors are green and pink) You are right artbyallie I am overthinking, that is what I do!  My main concern is my FI not feeling slighted by someone else standing out but it makes sense that since he is not a typical groomsman that he is a little different.  Yes, they will all be wearing jackets :) 
  • Options
    marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    Hi, I have a man of honor in my wedding (my brother).  The groomsmen are all wearing black vests and green ties to match the bridesmaids.  I was going to have my brother wear a black vest and pink tie to match the flower girls.  My FH is wearing white vest and white tie.... I'm wondering if it is inappropriate that my brother wear a different color tie than the other groomsmen/best men, seeing as he is not the groom and the groom should be the only one who stands out?  Or is it OK since he is on my side?  
    Ask him. Our groomsmen and the groom wore the same tux, with gold pocket squares. My brothers, who were on my side and also wore a tux, requested to use a navy paisley pocket fold so they'd match the bridesmaids more. They of course did this the day before wedding, but w/e. It looked good. Guys have opinions, so ask 'em! 

(my personal preference would be your brother match the other groomsmen since I think it's odd to match a child and almost makes him look like he's an over sized ring bearer, but honestly, it's SO NOT A BIG DEAL, so if you or your FI don't care, ask your brother!)
  • Options
    My brother is my Best Man and my groom's sister is his Maid of Honor. *No other members in the bridal party*

We are not doing anything matchy. My brother has a black suit that he's wearing and I bought him a blue/gray/white tie. My SIL is wearing a black dress of her choosing. 

Our flowers do define our family units and do blend the families together. My brother will have alstromerias in his boutonniere (which my mother and I will both have). My SIL's bouquet will have cream roses like her mother and stepfather's flowers.

Our's is a little easier since we are not having any other bridesmaids or groomsmen in the party so their places of honor will not be mistaken.
    11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
    10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
    11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards