Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony Script- CC Welcome!

Hi all! I am getting married on Halloween this year, and I've just finished writing our ceremony script. I was hoping for some feed back. I'm worried it may be a bit long and have too many components. Here goes:

Processional

Opening Words and Introduction

Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here in the sight of God to join these persons in Holy Matrimony. Marriage is not to be entered into lightly, but solemnly and with reverence. Into this Holy Union, Groom and Bride, come together to be joined. Marriage is the joining of two hearts, bodies and two souls. The union of husband and wife is intended to provide support, love, and care in times of harmony and adversity. This joyous day celebrates the commitment and love with which Groom and Bride begin their lives together.

Giving Away the Bride

Who gives this woman to be married to this man?

Please face each other and join hands

Those with Us in Spirit

At this time, we’d like to take a moment of silence to remember those who are not here with us.

Even though they are not here physically, they are a part of the foundation that makes Bride and Groom the people they are today.

Reading/Prayer

Reading/prayer

Declaration of Consent

Do you, Groom, take Bride to be your wedded wife and live together forever in the estate of Holy Matrimony? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, and remain faithful only to her, as long as you both shall live? 

He answers, “I do.”

Do you, Bride, take Groom, to be you wedded husband and live together forever in the estate of Holy Matrimony? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, and remain faithful only to him, as long as you both shall live?

She answers, “I do.”

Song

Ava maria

Introduction to the vows

Today, your wedding day, is one brief day in time, and although your vows are spoken in a matter of minutes, they are promises that will last a lifetime.

Bride and Groom, as you stand here in the presence of God and these witnesses, I remind you, that love, loyalty and trust are the basis of a mature and fulfilling relationship.

Marriage is a serious undertaking; it is intended to bind your lives together forever and is not to be taken lightly.

Your engagement set into motion the interweaving of your lives – and we hope that you will continue to grow closer throughout your years together.

None of us knows what the future will bring.

Yet your love for one another, and trust in the strength of your union makes possible the act of faith you are making today.

As you exchange the vows, which will start you on your journey together, know that our love and support go with you.

As you make your promises to each other, we will remember promises we too have made and take this opportunity to make new our own.

Exchange of Wedding Vows

I, Groom, take you, Bride, to be my wife. I chose to marry you this day and grow old with you. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life. This is my solemn vow.

I, Bride, take you, Groom, to be my husband. I chose to marry you this day and grow old with you. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life. This is my solemn vow.

Introduction to the Rings

What token do you give of these, your wedding vows today?

“The Rings”

The wedding ring is a symbol of many things. It is made of precious metals to symbolize a marriage that is precious and enduring. It is a perfect circle to symbolize a love freely given, without end.

Ring Warming

As the guests were seated, they were asked to take a few moments to hold the rings Bride and Groom will exchange today. We asked that you, their family and friends, warm them with your love, and while holding them say a silent prayer or wish for this couple, for their marriage and future together.

Exchange of Wedding Rings

And, now, Groom, as you place the ring on Bride’s finger, please repeat after me:

“I give you this ring… as the pledge of my love…. and as the symbol of our unity.”

And, now, Bride, as you place the ring on Groom’s finger, please repeat after me:

“I give you this ring… as the pledge of my love…. and as the symbol of our unity.”

Blessing of the Rings

May these wedding rings be a reminder to Bride and Groom of the commitment they have made today and be as a testimony to all the world of their devotion in marriage.

Signing of the Marriage License

At this time Bride and Groom would like for you to witness the signing of the Marriage License. The witnesses, MoH, MoH, and BM will join us now to make this part of the ceremony official.

Blessing of the Marriage

Go into the world and fulfill your dreams.

Love, support, and help one another as you grow.

Seek out opportunities to be good to each other.

May the seeds of your love, now planted in marriage, continue to grow.

May your life together be as a pebble dropped in a pond — an example of love and unity spread outward to your family, your friends and to the wider circle of the world.

Pronouncement of Marriage

Bride and Groom, through their words today, have joined together in holy wedlock.

Because they have exchanged their vows before God and these witnesses, have pledged their commitment each to the other, and have declared the same by joining hands and by exchanging rings, I now pronounce that they are husband and wife.

Those whom God has joined together may He generously bless Forever.

You may now kiss the bride!

Presentation of Couple

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is now my pleasure to present for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Groom and Bride Last Name.

Recessional

Thank you for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond!

Re: Ceremony Script- CC Welcome!

• Options
    Well, this is me, but with the following exceptions, I think they're fine:

1) being "given away" (you aren't property)

2) the "ring warming" (I think only the couple should handle the rings. Otherwise they could be lost or damaged. Also it can take a very long time.)

3) I'm not a fan of "you may now kiss the bride" or the "presentation" at the end of the ceremony because I find them very cheesy. But that's me.
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick response! I appreciate you taking the time to read through everything. I agree that some the wording is a little antiquated, but my fiance has his heart set on an announced kiss. He can be a goofball sometimes!
    Thank you again, and I'll take your thoughts into consideration.
  • Options

Thank you for the quick response! I appreciate you taking the time to read through everything. I agree that some the wording is a little antiquated, but my fiance has his heart set on an announced kiss. He can be a goofball sometimes!

Thank you again, and I'll take your thoughts into consideration.
    You're welcome. I know announcing the kiss is common and whether or not that gets done is up to the couple. Best of luck!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Your introduction to the vows is very, I don't know, condescending.

Reading it, it sounds like your officiant doesn't trust that you take your marriage seriously and wants to reiterate over and over and over again that you are aware of what you are about to do.  Maybe one reference to this is okay, but there are 3 outright references and a few passive ones.

Introduction to the vows

Today, your wedding day, is one brief day in time, and although your vows are spoken in a matter of minutes, they are promises that will last a lifetime.

Bride and Groom, as you stand here in the presence of God and these witnesses, I remind you, that love, loyalty and trust are the basis of a mature and fulfilling relationship.

Marriage is a serious undertaking; it is intended to bind your lives together forever and is not to be taken lightly.

Your engagement set into motion the interweaving of your lives – and we hope that you will continue to grow closer throughout your years together.

None of us knows what the future will bring.

Yet your love for one another, and trust in the strength of your union makes possible the act of faith you are making today.

As you exchange the vows, which will start you on your journey together, know that our love and support go with you.

As you make your promises to each other, we will remember promises we too have made and take this opportunity to make new our own.

ETF formatting
  • Options
    I agree with the previous poster.  It seems kind of like a speech a snarky/disapproving priest would give at a wedding where the people had only known each other for a few weeks or months.  It's basically saying "you might wind up divorced, but we hope you don't."  While that is technically true--you DON'T know what the future holds, and you MIGHT wind up splitting up--I wouldn't want that to be the tenor of my marriage ceremony.   I would want my ceremony to be an affirmation of love and certainty.  

Other than that, do you have to do the richer/poorer, sickness/health part twice?  That seems unnecessarily repetitive.  
  • Options

I agree with the previous poster.  It seems kind of like a speech a snarky/disapproving priest would give at a wedding where the people had only known each other for a few weeks or months.  It's basically saying "you might wind up divorced, but we hope you don't."  While that is technically true--you DON'T know what the future holds, and you MIGHT wind up splitting up--I wouldn't want that to be the tenor of my marriage ceremony.   I would want my ceremony to be an affirmation of love and certainty.  

Other than that, do you have to do the richer/poorer, sickness/health part twice?  That seems unnecessarily repetitive.  
    I agree with you and the previous poster that the introduction overemphasizes the "taking marriage seriously" and comes off as too stern, like an adult scolding a child for making a bad choice. Beyond that, though, other than the qualifications in my post above, I think the vows are fine. I think it is pretty standard in Christian weddings that each principal says the richer/poorer, sickness/health part so it does get said twice.
  • Options
    SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    Duplicate post, sorry
  • Options
    SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    I agree with you and the previous poster that the introduction overemphasizes the "taking marriage seriously" and comes off as too stern, like an adult scolding a child for making a bad choice. Beyond that, though, other than the qualifications in my post above, I think the vows are fine. I think it is pretty standard in Christian weddings that each principal says the richer/poorer, sickness/health part so it does get said twice.
    I'm not reacting to it being said twice, once by each half of the wedding couple.  Here all that stuff is being said a total of four times: once each in the "Declaration of Consent" section and then all over again during the actual vows.  I think if I were a guest I would think to myself "haven't we done this part already" when they got to the second round of pretty much the same speech.  
  • Options

Jen4948 said:

I'm not reacting to it being said twice, once by each half of the wedding couple.  Here all that stuff is being said a total of four times: once each in the "Declaration of Consent" section and then all over again during the actual vows.  I think if I were a guest I would think to myself "haven't we done this part already" when they got to the second round of pretty much the same speech.  

Yeah, if that's being said four times, it's overkill. If it's required for the Declaration of Consent, then I'd remove it from the vows; if not, then I'd remove it from the Declaration of Consent.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards