Chit Chat
Options

Mother-in-law Praise

Consistent with the cliche, my MIL can be a pain in the butt.  But she and FIL are also very warm, caring people who would do anything for their children and for me.  As much as I love my own parents, my in-laws offer so many things that I'd never experienced before.  Like "I miss you" "I love you" "how's your trip going?" texts and phone calls.  Anyway, instead of going on a rant or being negative I thought I'd give a shout out to my MIL who gave me a ride to work on Monday when my car wouldn't start (it was her day off) & treated me to fancy lunch today even though I insisted on paying.  And my adorable father in law who has essentially rebuilt our house (along with H).  My sister-in-law is pretty darn cool too and she sends lots of love from her temporary residence outside the country.

What praise do you have for your MIL?

Re: Mother-in-law Praise

• Options
    I'm calling MUD!

My FMIL is as equal parts generous and BSC.  Every holiday (including Halloween) she makes my parents little gift baskets, which is really, really sweet!
  • Options
    My H says that my MIL is "trying". Sorry, not buying it. Not interested. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I have great in-laws! My mom and my MIL enjoy hanging out with each other. My parents fit right into the in-laws' family gatherings. It's a dream scenario. 

My MIL is very caring and selfless (almost to a fault... like, lady, do what you want for once and don't worry about us). Shout-out to all the great in-laws out there! 

• Options
    My FMIL is fantastic. She is hard working, cheerful, a great listener, extraordinarily productive, caring, understanding, and thoughtful. She has been through a lot in her life but you would never know it. She has an amazing out look on life and is breath of fresh air. My mom is wonderful and loves us the best she knows how but she is inconsistent and can be judgemental, which makes it hard to be close to her.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    I'm pretty neutral about my MIL.    I only see her 1-2 times a year.  When we go to her.  She had never come to us.   I'm one of the few people who can say their MILs have never visited foot in their home.  

When I'm around her she is nice  and sweet to me. She knows I love and am good for her son.  I call her ever month or so to say hi.   

She is one of those people who likes to complain. So if we stay at her home she complains about DH being disruptive.  If we stay someone else, she complains we are not staying with her.   Can't really win  :p       Regardless of where we stay she will have a good few weeks of talking about the upcoming trip, then afterwards a good week recapping the stay to all of her friends.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I absolutely love my in-laws.  My MIL has a very similar personality to my mom... and my mom is one of my best friends. FIL is pretty awesome too. But, my parents live 2,000 miles away from me.  My in-laws live 10 minutes away. So, it's nice having family that I actually like that is nearby.  And our families get along really well, too.  My siblings are facebook friends with his siblings.  Both families have all gone on vacations together the last 2 years.  It's pretty great. 

• Options
    My MIL texted H yesterday to tell him she's proud of him. Which was a shocker, because my ILs never show much appreciation for H. He's the oldest of three and yet it's like he's invisible most of the time because SIL and BIL are BSC and thus their parents spend more time worrying over what they're doing than noticing that H has his shit together.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I'm pretty neutral about my MIL.    I only see her 1-2 times a year.  When we go to her.  She had never come to us.   I'm one of the few people who can say their MILs have never visited foot in their home.

This has become a running joke with my MIL because she hasn't visited us or her BFF at our new homes (we live close to each other and have had our homes for one and three years respectively). She retires soon, so I'm hoping that we can get her to visit for a good bit so we all get to share time with her!

I have great ILs but it's pretty clear we are closer to my fam than his. DH and I are way more laid back and go with the flow and his family are the entertaining type. Its lovely to visit but you always feel like you have to help with the prepping and the washing and the prepping and the washing. I am generally the type that if you come over, I'll make sure you have the beer/wine you like but then I'm making the easy peasy dinner and sticking it on paper plates. Boom done.
  • Options
    I love my in laws. Whenever I read these threads about horrible MIL's, I'm always so grateful for the ones I have.

I enjoy visiting with them, chatting with her on the phone. Just about everything. I am so happy that H and I both have wonderful families.
  • Options
    My IL's are awesome.  MIL is super sweet and cute and she cooks us amazing dinners.  She's always wanting to help us out with stuff too, but is careful enough to not stick her nose into our lives too much.  She's got a great balance going.  

• Options
    Definitely a shout out to my FMIL, she's the best.  I love her to bits, she's such an amazing lady, very generous to every one around her, always helping friends and family with rides to doctors offices, etc.  Once I spent time with her, it was obvious where FI and FSD got their awesomeness from (never met FI's dad, as his dad had passed away before I met him).  We spent 10 days with her in Nova Scotia this past May, and it felt like I came home, not sure how else to describe it.  REALLY looking forward to retiring there in a few years!  (FI has a home that he built himself, that renters completely destroyed, that we'll need to renovate before moving into it)
  • Options

H's dad and stepmom live across the country so I don't think I'll ever have to worry about having much of a relationship one way or the other. His mom died when he was in college and his dad remarried and moved across the country so he's always felt a bit abandoned and doesn't have a super close relationship with his dad bc of the distance. He has a few texts/fb every once in a while with his step mom but no other interaction unless it is in person (maybe once a year) so I don't think I'll ever have much of a relationship with them either. His stepmom has her own 2 kids out where they live who are married and one is about to have a baby so H feels like the afterthought in the family

I do hope he likes my parents though  We see them once a month or so, and he never says anything bad although mine are more conservative than his were but I think they have embraced him and treat him like a member of the family so I hope he appreciates it.

• Options
    Although my ILs can get on my nerves sometimes, I love them to death. They are like a second pair of parents to me and treat me like their daughter.

My birthday is coming up and growing up my favorite cake was a chocolate chip cake. My mom usually makes me and my brother one cake for our birthdays (1 day apart) and chocolate chip isn't his favorite so now she makes something different. MIL got the recipe and makes it every year for my birthday!

• Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have a MIL. She was killed by a drunk driver when DH was 4, and his dad never remarried. Based on everything I have heard about her though, I would have lots of good things to say about her. My engagement ring is her engagement ring, which is so special. I feel connected to her even though I never met her.

• Options
    My FMIL is pretty great; she cares so much about everything (sometimes a little too much) and she has a wonderful outlook on life. We don't talk much outside of Facebook - maybe a random text every now and then. It's nice having her in my life; sometimes the job takes its toll and she always seems to send her "random" text when I need it the most. She and FFIL live in Western New York and don't come down a lot to see us; we're usually the ones having to go there, which is hard with both FI and I working shift work but I definitely love going to visit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    My family isn't big on holidays, they usually get fast food or pizza for Thanksgiving and haven't put up a Christmas tree since I was probably 17. Yet they still guilt-trip me for not making the $400/4 hour-each-way flight home for each and every holiday.

MIL goes all out for holidays, especially Christmas. Completely decks out her house, makes a huge delicious Christmas dinner, buys us all a million thoughtful (and extremely generous) presents. It's just so fun to be involved in a "real" holiday celebration with DH's family. And they welcomed me with open arms at family holidays even before DH and I were married.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My MIL is awesome. She is super supportive of all of her kids, incredibly generous (we are going through some medical stuff, and she randomly sends us checks to help cover it, completely unsolicited), and kind. She has three sons - H is the only one who is happily married, and I know my MIL loves having a "daughter". 

She is also an RN, so we call/text her with all sorts of medical questions. We have a very open relationship with her, and we both talk to her on a regular basis. I definitely feel like I won the MIL lotto :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My IL's are awesome.  MIL is super sweet and cute and she cooks us amazing dinners.  She's always wanting to help us out with stuff too, but is careful enough to not stick her nose into our lives too much.  She's got a great balance going.  
    This is how my MIL is as well. She's also one of the most selfless people I've ever met. She just loves her kids and her family so much and encourages to come over and visit whenever we'd like. But she's also very careful to not butt in or get too nosey about what's going on in our lives. Plus she calls me beautiful every single time I see her, which is always a wonderful confidence booster :)
  • Options
    I complain about my MIL on here from time to time, but honestly I am so lucky. She is ridiculously generous, sweet caring woman who accepted me into their family the day she met me (H and I had been dating 2 months). I actually really enjoy hanging out with her. She's fun, likes to throw back a cocktail or 4 and gossip about reality shows.  She takes us on trips, offered to pay for our entire wedding with no strings attached, and generously helps H develop his business (they are in the same line of work).

Sure I don't trust her not to tell everyone she knows that we are expecting, so we are hiding this pregnancy from her as long as we possibly can. But this is no different than some of my best girlfriends. I am lucky enough to say if I had the chance to pick my MIL, I would pick her!  
  • Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    chloe97 said:
    I complain about my MIL on here from time to time, but honestly I am so lucky. She is ridiculously generous, sweet caring woman who accepted me into their family the day she met me (H and I had been dating 2 months). I actually really enjoy hanging out with her. She's fun, likes to throw back a cocktail or 4 and gossip about reality shows.  She takes us on trips, offered to pay for our entire wedding with no strings attached, and generously helps H develop his business (they are in the same line of work).

Sure I don't trust her not to tell everyone she knows that we are expecting, so we are hiding this pregnancy from her as long as we possibly can. But this is no different than some of my best girlfriends. I am lucky enough to say if I had the chance to pick my MIL, I would pick her!  
    Congrats on the pregnancy!

ETF disappearing text
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I kind of adore my in-laws! My FIL and step-MIL are sweet. Actually ... first time I met my FIL, he said "If H gives you issues, just hold a pillow to his face. He'll stop struggling." I knew he was joking, and now it's become a family joke :)

My MIL and step-FIL are so different than my ex's families. Funny enough, when i was diagnosed with anxiety/depression, I had zero issue telling my MIL because she understands. It's definitely a different relationship. H said she wasn't a huge fan of his ex, so I made sure I put the effort in to show her I wasn't the same.
  • Options
    My MIL (and FIL) goes way over the top every times she doggy sits. She takes him on extra walks and even comes home on her lunch break to let him out and play with him if it's a weekday. She bought a baby gate to make sure he's not getting into the cat's litter and pretty much leaves it up all the time now "just in case doggy is coming over." She also built an extra fence around her backyard shed to make sure that our dog can't get behind it and get hurt (or get into something!). She LOVES seeing my dog when she visits and my dog gets SO excited whenever she walks in the door. I honestly can't wait for her to be a grandma to a human because I just know she is going to be fantastic at it!
  • Options

I don't have a FMIL either, she died when we were in high school from cancer. FFIL never remarried (or even dates).

FFIL is....interesting. I love him, but in that way that feels forced, if you know what I mean? He's not a very good person and doesn't treat FI well, he has said some really negative things about myself and my parents (not to my face, to FI, who shared the emails with me). But he has also done some very generous things for us (like pay for FI's half of our Disney trip, pay for our honeymoon, and go all out on the rehearsal dinner).

FBIL and FSIL are AMAZING though, FSIL is one of my BM and also one of my best friends, so I feel like I get the payoff with that.

• Options
    missa011 said:

I don't have a FMIL either, she died when we were in high school from cancer. FFIL never remarried (or even dates).

FFIL is....interesting. I love him, but in that way that feels forced, if you know what I mean? He's not a very good person and doesn't treat FI well, he has said some really negative things about myself and my parents (not to my face, to FI, who shared the emails with me). But he has also done some very generous things for us (like pay for FI's half of our Disney trip, pay for our honeymoon, and go all out on the rehearsal dinner).

FBIL and FSIL are AMAZING though, FSIL is one of my BM and also one of my best friends, so I feel like I get the payoff with that.

That's awesome!  Kinda makes up for FFIL's negativity, though you may see his attitude change for the better during and after the wedding.  Who knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards