Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Bridal Party Woes

So bridal makeup and hair do is very expensive in my location. I'm looking at 250-400 for makeup alone. My FH and I are paying for everything ourselves, so I told my bridesmaids that I have no preference on how they do their hair and makeup for our wedding day, but I don't want anyone to feel left out if they can't afford to pay for hair/makeup or both. I love each of these girls and I hope that we will have room left in the budget to pay for at least one, but what else can I do?

Re: Bridal Party Woes

• alhaley88 said:
    So bridal makeup and hair do is very expensive in my location. I'm looking at 250-400 for makeup alone. My FH and I are paying for everything ourselves, so I told my bridesmaids that I have no preference on how they do their hair and makeup for our wedding day, but I don't want anyone to feel left out if they can't afford to pay for hair/makeup or both. I love each of these girls and I hope that we will have room left in the budget to pay for at least one, but what else can I do?
    A. Yes that is a crazy amount of money for makeup.

B. Let them do their own hair and/or makeup or give them the option of getting it done. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Since you aren't requiring anything specific then you do not have to pay for anyone's hair and makeup.  Tell your BMs the prices and then let them decide if they want to have it done.  If some can't then they can't.  But don't feel bad if someone chooses not to because of the price.  You can only do so much and you shouldn't have to stretch yourself thin budget wise to cover their costs, especially since it isn't a requirement but rather a voluntary luxury.

And FWIW I have never been in a wedding where the bride covered the cost of hair and makeup since having it professionally done was never a requirement.  We also weren't required to use their chosen hairstylist/MUA.  We could go elsewhere if we wanted and then met up afterwards.

• Just curious, where do you live that your makeup alone will cost hundreds of dollars? 
    Married 9.12.15
  • alhaley88 said:
    Are you talking about makeup alone for the bride? Or for BMs? Or is the $250 - $400 for everyone to get their makeup done in your bridal party? I live in DC, and my makeup and hair is $500 (this includes a trial run, but is still pricey). For BMs it's $95 for hair, and $95 for makeup. This was pretty standard in my area. 

Also, I wouldn't pay for just one if you have room in your budget - I would do across the board or none at all. I think telling them that they can do their own hair / makeup however they want is perfectly fine. If you have room in the budget it's a nice gesture, but not necessary.

Since I only have 2 bridesmaids, I reached out and offered to have their hair and makeup done at the hotel when mine is being done. I have no preference what hair style / makeup style they want. They are from OOT, and wouldn't know any salons in the area. Both of my bridesmaids wanted the hair, but only 1 wanted the makeup. She is picky about her own makeup and wanted to use her own products. I thought this was awesome! So just saying that even if you offer it, some BM's may feel more comfortable doing their own thing.

• Salons can be expensive, but in my experience, do a great job, especially for the make-up challenged such as myself. I believe the original poster meant total for all her girls (I hope). The salon where I go charges $65 a girl for make up. This is the salon I have gone to get my hair done for years so they are doing both my hair ($120) and make up ($65) the day of the wedding. I had a make up trial already with them, and I must say, even if it was pricy, it stayed exactly the way it was supposed to for 12+ hours and I at least know that I will look the way I want. I told the girls they can get their hair done anywhere/anyway they would like for the wedding, but since they all chose to come with me, I have decided to pick up the cost of their hair styles ($75 a girl) and have let them know what make up costs if they would like to get that done as well. I think they all chose to do their own make up which is fine by me. But if I had to pay for all the girls' make up it would've cost me $390 total.
  • alhaley88alhaley88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I'm talking about makeup JUST FOR THE BRIDE. For some reason, any decent, highly rated MUA is super expensive. The lowest quote for makeup and trial (airbrush and lashes included) is $250. Then its $75/bridesmaid,MOB, etc to have just their makeup done. Hair just for me is anywhere between 100-150 for an updo because it's bridal. And that doesn't include travel fees to come to us. Hair for bridesmaids are around $65/each. So I'm looking at roughly $1100+ for everyone to do hair and makeup. (5maids, not including MOB and MOG in totals if they want anything done).

Edit: I can't type today. Lots of typos
  • alhaley88alhaley88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Indianapolis, Indiana! Which is crazy! It's not like it's Chicago or NYC! I'm surprised as well about how expensive it is....

I'm still searching for other options but I'm not having much luck. I've looked at the local top rated and gone through the list to the bottom. I've looked through google. I've checked out Salons....They are all that expensive, if not more.

EDIT: Missing a word
  • alhaley88 said:
    I'm talking about makeup JUST FOR THE BRIDE. For some reason, any decent, highly rated MUA is super expensive. The lowest quote for makeup and trial (airbrush and lashes included) is $250. Then its $75/bridesmaid,MOB, etc to have just their makeup done. Hair just for me is anywhere between 100-150 for an updo because it's bridal. And that doesn't include travel fees to come to us. Hair for bridesmaids are around $65/each. So I'm looking at roughly $1100+ for everyone to do hair and makeup. (5maids, not including MOB and MOG in totals if they want anything done).

I just want to say that I think it is f-ing ridiculous that a bride is charged $250 for makeup but a BM is only charged $75.  What exactly is the difference in quality that is being done to make such a difference in price?!  I just...that is crazy!!!!

Ok, rant over.  My advice still stands in my previous post.  Just tell them the price and then let them decide if they want to go professional or not.  They could even pick just hair or just makeup if they want.

• ^^^^ AMEN TO THAT! I think I'm just going to have to do that. When it gets closer to wedding date, if there's room left in the budget I will just give it to the pros and tell them to take the balance and divide it up so the BMs fee is reduced. That's the only thing I can think of.
  • alhaley88 said:
    ^^^^ AMEN TO THAT! I think I'm just going to have to do that. When it gets closer to wedding date, if there's room left in the budget I will just give it to the pros and tell them to take the balance and divide it up so the BMs fee is reduced. That's the only thing I can think of.
    I think that is a really good idea.  That way it is evenly distributed.  But only do it if you can.  Don't feel like you have to if you are tight in the budget area.

• alhaley88 said:
    Indianapolis, Indiana! Which is crazy! It's not like it's Chicago or NYC! I'm surprised as well about how expensive it is....

I'm still searching for other options but I'm not having much luck. I've looked at the local top rated and gone through the list to the bottom. I've looked through google. I've checked out Salons....They are all that expensive, if not more.

EDIT: Missing a word
    God that is insane!  I'm in the outer reaches of Denver (bordering on Northern CO) and My total cost to get makeup done by an Aveda trained MUA and hair person is $150... which I thought was crazy haha.  Bridesmaid charge is $100 and charges for moms is like $80.  And, she's coming to me.  My hair trial was like $65.00 and she came to my house for that.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Those rates are crazy! I was quoted similar when I looked at salons.  Try to find someone independent.  They are less likely to charge an arm and a leg because if you go with a salon, the salon has to be paid, as well as the stylists.  Try Thumbtack.  I used it for trying to find someone to do alterations and dance lessons, and I got responses.  Even craigslist would be fine if you ask for references.  Someone's always looking to make $$.

• Seriously? Walk into Sephora, find someone who looks good, and ask if they would do wedding make up and for how much. I don't think you need someone who is a critically acclaimed make-up artist.
  • Is this to have someone come to you? I know where I live it's less expensive to get hair & makeup at a salon compared to having someone come to you.
  • alhaley88 said:

I just want to say that I think it is f-ing ridiculous that a bride is charged $250 for makeup but a BM is only charged $75.  What exactly is the difference in quality that is being done to make such a difference in price?!  I just...that is crazy!!!!

Ok, rant over.  My advice still stands in my previous post.  Just tell them the price and then let them decide if they want to go professional or not.  They could even pick just hair or just makeup if they want.
    The highlighted part is why it's so expensive, it's the makeup on the wedding day and the trial in her price. So most likely it's 150 for day of and 100 for trial, neither of those sound ridiculously high for bridal makeup. That's about what mine is going to be in New Hampshire and I checked around that's a fairly normal price for the area. 

OP as long as you don't require your bridesmaids to get it done then just do yours and don't worry about it. If they want professional hair/makeup they can choose to pay for it themselves. It's not a ridiculous price as you're going to be taking a lot of the stylists' time for a trial and for the day of. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually got a referral from a coworker who had her hair/MU done as a bridesmaid in her friends wedding. The stylist charge's $80/pm total for both hair and makeup. I'm going to look into that and heed all the advice given if that doesn't work out. Thank you everyone!!
  • alhaley88 said:

I'm from Indy too. I don't know about make up but that sounds reasonable according to the gal that does my hair. My daughter got married in Chicago last month. I was complaining about those prices to my stylist and she told me what prices were around here and that sounds about right. I paid $80 for make-up in Chicago (it wasn't airbrush and didn't include eyelashes) so $75 doesn't sound too bad I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards