Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wording for Wedding invites- Complicated Family Dynamics

Question- I am looking at invitations now and not sure how to word things. My Mom is deceased and my father is not in the picture. My Fiancee's Family is wonderful and I am so lucky!His parents are divorced and each parent is remarried. They are paying for our wedding and I want to honor them and show respect with the right wording. Do I right My & Mrs. Blank and Mr. and Mrs. Dash invite you.........or do I write We invite you......

Re: Wording for Wedding invites- Complicated Family Dynamics

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Well, take who's paying out of this, because it's not relevant to how wedding invitations should be worded. Your wedding invitation isn't a playbill and who's paying for what is none of the guests' business. Its purpose is also not to "honor" anyone other than those whom you are inviting to attend the wedding. The purpose of a wedding invitation is to convey a request from the hosts to the recipients to be their guests at the wedding.

In order to determine how your wedding invitations should be worded, ask yourself the following: Who are the hosts?

Answer it by determining: Is each one of your parents issuing the invitations, receiving the replies, greeting the guests at the wedding, and making the arrangements that ensure that the guests' needs are met? If each one of your parents is doing this, then all should be listed as hosts. If not, only those parents who are doing these things should be so listed. (Honor all your parents by listing them in a wedding program if you are going to have one.)

If all of your parents are hosting along with you, you might use "Together with their parents" and just your names. Otherwise, you could use

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents 1
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents 2
    request the pleasure of your company (request the honor of your presence if the wedding is at a house of worship)
    at the marriage of
    Bride
    and/to
    Groom
    on Day, Date
    at time
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State/Country

or:

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    request the pleasure of your company (request the honor of your presence if the wedding is at a house of worship)
    at the marriage of
    Bride
    and/to
    Groom
    (son of
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents 2)
    on Day, Date
    at time
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State/Country

This second version with "son of" is not traditional.
  • Options
    Thank you ! I hope I didn't sound horrible I just want to make sure I'm doing this right, Thanks!
  • Options
    Oh, I just realized: In your case, because your mom is deceased, she wouldn't be listed on the invitation. Your father would be listed, if he were in the picture, as Mr. Bride's Father, but since he isn't, if both sets of your FI's parents are hosting, I would use either "Together with his parents" or use

Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents 2
    request the pleasure of your company (request the honor of your presence if the ceremony is at a house of worship)
    at the marriage of
    Miss/Ms. Bride's Full Name
    to
    their son
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    etc.
  • Options
    Can you just do, Together with their families? It seems like a bit much to list every parent.
  • Options
    I agree, good idea @ADK19
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Mr. and Mrs. John Groomsmother
    Mr. and Mrs. George Groomsfather
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of
    Miss (Ms.) Brides Full Name
    to their son