Registry and Gift Forum

Unclaimed Gift; How to Ask Someone If It's From Them

I will try and make this as clear as possible. My wedding was on Halloween (I see I am not the only one on here) and we finally got around to opening gifts last night, our work schedules don't give us a lot of time where we are both off at the same time. Of course it would be our luck, there was one gift on the table had no card, gift receipt, or any indication to figure out who it was from. We had about 200 guests, and if the gift was left by someone there, there are only about 6 people it could have been (soley based on those who didn't give cards, but this could be a bad determining factor, but seemed logical to start here). The wrapping was different than everything else on the table, so I don't believe it was part of someone else's physical gift. If it was given by a guest who was unable to attend by had a friend or family bring it, well then it's going to get even stickier in figuring out who it is from, but I doubt that is the case.

My gut is telling me it could be from one of my co-workers, but I do not know how to bring up the subject in the event it is not. But here is why I think it might be her. She had asked me the week prior to the wedding would I prefer her to bring my gift to the wedding or to work because she had already bought it. I told her the wedding just so things didn't get lost in the shuffle and I'd rather keep all my gifts together. She said great. I did not get a card from her and all of the other gifts were not from her either. She flat out told me she had already bought a gift, so I am thinking the unmarked one is from her. I by no means expected anything from anyone, so in the event she came and decided not to bring a gift, I could care less, but this is a matter of I need to write thank you's and I don't want to have my tail between my legs by not giving her one, especially when I owe it to her. I also don't want to write on hers "Thank you for the lovely glassware" if it wasn't from her. I don't see myself writing that unless I'm sure who it's from, but you guys get the point.

I'm sure these situations are never pleasant, but what is the best way to bring it up at work? I think I have a small fear it was from someone else still and then I'll sound gift grabby or it'll just be awkward from there on out. But based on my story above, I think I have a fair reason to believe it is from her.

Re: Unclaimed Gift; How to Ask Someone If It's From Them

• Was the gift purchased off your registry or can you check to see if it was? Most registries have a Thank You Note manager type of tool now that allows you to see who bought what so you can track who you've sent a thank you note to. I'd check there first before approaching anyone.

There were some people who told me they got me a gift as well - and I never received a gift from them....or one came 6 months later, so it isn't necessarily from your co-worker.

• labro said:

Was the gift purchased off your registry or can you check to see if it was? Most registries have a Thank You Note manager type of tool now that allows you to see who bought what so you can track who you've sent a thank you note to. I'd check there first before approaching anyone.

There were some people who told me they got me a gift as well - and I never received a gift from them....or one came 6 months later, so it isn't necessarily from your co-worker.

Thank you so much! I didn't know this tool actually existed. I just logged on and was able to figure out one gift that I was unsure about. I had received another in the mail with no note or anything and figured out who sent it no problem. However, still didn't help with the gift I originally wrote this about (it says "no name" in the purchased by column). But it was a great suggestion!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards