Attire & Accessories Forum

I really dislike my dress & need opinions...

I need some opinions. It's been 4 months since I bought my dress and from the day I bought it, I've been second guessing myself. It has satin, which I don't like for myself and I'm not crazy about the pattern on the bodice. I also don't like the neckline so I'm going to have them deepen the sweat heart if possible. I was told by the consultant the day I bought it they could, and was just told when I went in it'll be difficult to do. Anyway, I had been shopping with my mom, found a dress (Maggie Sottero Haven) that I loved, but it didn't have enough "bling." She lives 2 hours away so I took my personal attendant with me 3 days later to try it on again. I tried on the Maggie with belts, and didn't like it much. I was ready to buy the Maggie but then the consultant brings out a dress, Alfred Angelo 2448. It had the tulle of the Maggie, but also had some of the bling I was looking for. After trying it on, I got caught up in the moment and bought it. My dress came in and I went to try it on again 2 weeks ago and I didn't like it. I was scared to try it on because I was just hoping I'd like it more than the Maggie. Then, the first thing my mom said was "I'm trying to decide if I like it more than the other dress," which I knew she was disappointed I didn't get the Maggie but I didn't expect her to say that as I was standing there wearing my dress! A couple days ago I told my mom I wanted to go buy the Maggie, the store is having their annual sale on Maggie gowns so I can get it for a good price, but she isn't too happy with me & rightfully so. I could squeeze it into the budget, especially if I could sell my dress for even half of what I paid. My mom is now insisting that she likes this one more than the Maggie. I really do like the Maggie more, but I also could get past it and make mine work if I have to. I'm trying to make a rational decision because I only have until Monday to get the Maggie on sale & I'm coming up on 9 months til the wedding. I wondered what you guys thought. Should I go get the Maggie or keep the one I have?

Re: I really dislike my dress & need opinions...

• The #1 thing I see is a slight fit issue because the dresses really are very similar.  The good news is that with the right undergarments/support/steaming out the dress it should take care of itself (it looks like a long-line would make a difference). 

Instead of the extra dress, I'd pay for the alterations to make the deeper cut to be how you want the dress to look.  "Difficult" doesn't equal "can't be done".  But, that said, you need to know how much that'll cost you as far as which are you better off doing (it sounds like your seamstress doesn't want to do it, because it is work, which usually adds to the price of the alteration for "PITA factor").  One thing that I do like in the Maggie is that the detailing is more an even pattern through the entire top but I don't know if that's a deal breaker, only you can answer that.  That said, before you even think to purchase another dress, the one thing you need to ask is which dress do YOU feel like a Bride in?  If you can't answer this for any of the dresses, don't keep settling, buy the dress you can't imagine not wearing that day.  Also, try it on again, but this time add the extras (put your hair up, veil, tiara/fascinator/etc., jewelry) and see if that alters things on a different level for you as well. 

• The dresses are similar, but I see why you like the Maggie more -- the fit. I'm wondering if once the other is altered to fit you and you're wearing undergarments, if you'll like yours just as much. If the answer is no and you can afford it, then consider the Maggie. But make sure you have the money for it, even if your original dress doesn't sell.
  • They're practically identical. Don't be silly and waste your money buying a new one. You look great in the dress you have.
  • I need some opinions. It's been 4 months since I bought my dress and from the day I bought it, I've been second guessing myself. It has satin, which I don't like for myself and I'm not crazy about the pattern on the bodice. I also don't like the neckline so I'm going to have them deepen the sweat heart if possible. I was told by the consultant the day I bought it they could, and was just told when I went in it'll be difficult to do. Anyway, I had been shopping with my mom, found a dress (Maggie Sottero Haven) that I loved, but it didn't have enough "bling." She lives 2 hours away so I took my personal attendant with me 3 days later to try it on again. I tried on the Maggie with belts, and didn't like it much. I was ready to buy the Maggie but then the consultant brings out a dress, Alfred Angelo 2448. It had the tulle of the Maggie, but also had some of the bling I was looking for. After trying it on, I got caught up in the moment and bought it. My dress came in and I went to try it on again 2 weeks ago and I didn't like it. I was scared to try it on because I was just hoping I'd like it more than the Maggie. Then, the first thing my mom said was "I'm trying to decide if I like it more than the other dress," which I knew she was disappointed I didn't get the Maggie but I didn't expect her to say that as I was standing there wearing my dress! A couple days ago I told my mom I wanted to go buy the Maggie, the store is having their annual sale on Maggie gowns so I can get it for a good price, but she isn't too happy with me & rightfully so. I could squeeze it into the budget, especially if I could sell my dress for even half of what I paid. My mom is now insisting that she likes this one more than the Maggie. I really do like the Maggie more, but I also could get past it and make mine work if I have to. I'm trying to make a rational decision because I only have until Monday to get the Maggie on sale & I'm coming up on 9 months til the wedding. I wondered what you guys thought. Should I go get the Maggie or keep the one I have?

Since mine is still too big, this is the sample dress pulled tight:

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the personal attendant part.  Please, please, remove this "job" - no one should be a slave to you.
  • Thanks everyone! I am going to keep it, there's a reason I bought it in the first place.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I need some opinions. It's been 4 months since I bought my dress and from the day I bought it, I've been second guessing myself. It has satin, which I don't like for myself and I'm not crazy about the pattern on the bodice. I also don't like the neckline so I'm going to have them deepen the sweat heart if possible. I was told by the consultant the day I bought it they could, and was just told when I went in it'll be difficult to do. Anyway, I had been shopping with my mom, found a dress (Maggie Sottero Haven) that I loved, but it didn't have enough "bling." She lives 2 hours away so I took my personal attendant with me 3 days later to try it on again. I tried on the Maggie with belts, and didn't like it much. I was ready to buy the Maggie but then the consultant brings out a dress, Alfred Angelo 2448. It had the tulle of the Maggie, but also had some of the bling I was looking for. After trying it on, I got caught up in the moment and bought it. My dress came in and I went to try it on again 2 weeks ago and I didn't like it. I was scared to try it on because I was just hoping I'd like it more than the Maggie. Then, the first thing my mom said was "I'm trying to decide if I like it more than the other dress," which I knew she was disappointed I didn't get the Maggie but I didn't expect her to say that as I was standing there wearing my dress! A couple days ago I told my mom I wanted to go buy the Maggie, the store is having their annual sale on Maggie gowns so I can get it for a good price, but she isn't too happy with me & rightfully so. I could squeeze it into the budget, especially if I could sell my dress for even half of what I paid. My mom is now insisting that she likes this one more than the Maggie. I really do like the Maggie more, but I also could get past it and make mine work if I have to. I'm trying to make a rational decision because I only have until Monday to get the Maggie on sale & I'm coming up on 9 months til the wedding. I wondered what you guys thought. Should I go get the Maggie or keep the one I have?

Since mine is still too big, this is the sample dress pulled tight:

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the personal attendant part.  Please, please, remove this "job" - no one should be a slave to you.
    She offered herself to be my "personal attendant." Don't worry, she's not going to be waiting on me hand & foot. She is just going to be helping with the final touches the day of while I am getting ready & directing guests after the ceremony inside while we finish up pictures. Again, she offered, I didn't ask her or suggest anything to her.
  • Just because she offered doesn't mean you had to accept. You don't need a personal attendant. Are you the Queen of England?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards