Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Saving/Freezing top layer of cake when not getting married close to home...

Anyone done it? Getting married in NYC and then going directly on our honeymoon, but we live in Texas... Any ideas on how to have our cake and eat it (next year) too? ;)

Re: Saving/Freezing top layer of cake when not getting married close to home...

• We got married in NJ, went on a 3 week HM and lived in the islands.   I didn't even bother with the cake top.   I can honestly say we didn't miss the "tradition".      

The only thing I can suggest is if someone from Texas can take it back with you, but I think that is asking too much.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • AW3380 said:
    You could always have a local bakery recreate the top tier of your cake for your one year anniversary.  

This is your best option!!!

The challenge is getting it to where you live in one piece.  Airlines are a PITA when it comes to transporting cake of any type.  If someone's driving directly from point A to B, then there are options (dry ice in a cooler), but otherwise, really, probably not worth messing with trying to save the top tier... Just plan a real budget for a local backer back home to recreate the top tier at your 1-yr anniversary and it'll be a fresh cake to boot! 

• My mother saved my cake top for our first wedding anniversary.  It tasted like cardboard, after a year.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    My mother saved my cake top for our first wedding anniversary.  It tasted like cardboard, after a year.

We had the last of the layer of our display cake for our third anniversary - it actually tasted like it should because my Mom froze it right away in the deep freeze the next day when she got home with it.  Then again, it was pound cake, that stuff can be frozen forever and still taste like pound cake... 

Fyi - we DID NOT order white pound cake, it was suppose to be spice, but with as many things as that baker messed up, what kind of peeved me the most was she didn't offer us anything in good faith because of it (she messed every dang detail of the cake up from the flavor, to the decoration, to the tiering what was suppose to be a stacked cake, to the color she used for a ribbon around the top tier that wasn't even close to our wedding colors... AND her hand prints were all over the thing to the point you can see them in the pictures!  Really - how hard was it to make a smooth-iced, stacked 3-tier spice cake with snowflakes all over!).. 

• Bummer, I'd hoped to hear an easy solution! haha

Maybe I'll have my parents fly it home to Florida and then bring it home at some point later in the year...

The idea of recreating the top layer is a good one, and I might do that if this doesn't work out, but I really would like the original top layer- cardboard taste and all!
  • simcal18simcal18 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2015
    The bakery I used gives couples a chilled mini-cake for freezing instead of saving the top tier because according to them, what makes frozen cake taste terrible is not necessarily the amount of time it's been sitting in the freezer, but the amount of time it's sat out and been exposed to temperature changes and other elements before being frozen.  The more it sits out before it gets to the freezer, the worse it will taste. 

There is no way that you are going to be able to get this cake halfway across the country and have it be in any condition for decent freezing.  It will not just be cardboard when you take it out to try and eat it.  You will have taken all these pains and gone through all these logistical hurdles to move it from NYC to Texas, and then it will be disgustingly inedible.  You will take two bites of it and then throw it in the trash.  There is no point to doing it.

This tradition is left over from the days when sweets were an expensive rarity, and not easily and cheaply available from any neighborhood bakery.  It is not appropriate or applicable for your particular situation.  Let it go.

• We had a similar situation and honestly we just decided we will get a new yummy cake on our anniversary. There were some slices of cake left over and my MIL saved them for us and we ate them after we got back from the honeymoon. It was awesome since I was so excited during our wedding that I only ate a couple of bites then!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2015
    Yah I tried to get mine from NY to NC and it definitely didn't work. We ate wedding cake for the next week and it was glorious. We'll get a new cake for our anniversary.
  • From what I've heard about year old freezer cake...it's not that good.  I would just skip it and make life easier for yourselves by getting a [fresh] recreation for your anniversary.  

• I would just have a nice fresh cake for your anniversary rather than trying to freeze the top layer.  It's just more practical and most likely will taste much better than the top layer once it's thawed.
  • Would your baker be willing to make a small cake and ship it to your home a few weeks after your wedding?  Then you can have cake from the same baker that did your wedding cake and it can sit in your freezer all year.

We got married on a cruise ship, and taking food off ship is prohibited, so taking home any of the cake was not an option.  Honestly, I was fine with that idea since the idea of year old cake didn't seem that appealing to me. There are always sacrifices with a destination wedding.  The year old cake may be one of the sacrifices that you have to make.

• That's a good idea, I will have to bring that up at our meeting :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards