Wedding Etiquette Forum

Inviting the boss

I work in a firm with a lot of employees, but I'm close to my boss of the past 5 years. The other day, she commented on my engagement ring and asked about my wedding. Then today, she asked again how the planning was going and if I ever need help/advice to ask her as she hated planning her wedding and loved brainstorming with others. It was very nice, not overwhelming or stepping over boundaries or anything.

My question is, is it okay to invite her to my wedding? She's very nice and I enjoy her company and if she wasn't my boss and was just a co-worker, I would definitely invite her. But I don't want people to think I'm doing it to suck up to her or anything because I'm not. I genuinely like her and would love to have her there.

Any advice?

Also, if I invite her, is it okay to not invite my other bosses in the department (like her supervisor)?

Re: Inviting the boss

• I think it's fine to invite just your direct supervisor
  • I work in a firm with a lot of employees, but I'm close to my boss of the past 5 years. The other day, she commented on my engagement ring and asked about my wedding. Then today, she asked again how the planning was going and if I ever need help/advice to ask her as she hated planning her wedding and loved brainstorming with others. It was very nice, not overwhelming or stepping over boundaries or anything.

My question is, is it okay to invite her to my wedding? She's very nice and I enjoy her company and if she wasn't my boss and was just a co-worker, I would definitely invite her. But I don't want people to think I'm doing it to suck up to her or anything because I'm not. I genuinely like her and would love to have her there.

Any advice?

Also, if I invite her, is it okay to not invite my other bosses in the department (like her supervisor)?

I'd invite her. I invited one of my former bosses to our wedding.
  • I'm all for inviting people to your wedding because you wan them there, not because you feel obligated, and for inviting people from work because you are friends with them, not just because they are co-workers you chat with in the break room.

If you want to invite your boss because you value the relationship with her- absolutely. No, you do not have to invite anyone else from work. 
  • Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers at work or make people think I had ulterior motives for inviting the boss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards