Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Honeymoon Dance

WHat are the thought on this? Ive been to a wedding that it was done at, and ive been to weddings that it wasn't done at. Some people I heard think this is silly... I've had different opinions on it through the years. What do yall think?

Thanks for all your help!!

Josie

Re: Honeymoon Dance

• Is a honeymoon dance the same as, say, a dollar dance?  Or basically a dance where you charge your guests to dance with you?  If so, just say no.  It is tacky and greedy.  Your guests have most likely already given you a gift so to then basically beg for more money by having a "honeymoon dance" screams tacky.

• Yeah its the dollar dance. That's what I was thinking. I would think it would be fun to get to dance w other people- but without the $$. ANy ideas on how to do it w/o $$?
  • This sounds like a dance for money for your honeymoon - which is tacky, rude to your guests, and dare I say it? Silly. Nobody is responsible for paying for your honeymoon except for you and your FI. Your guests shouldn't be expected to open their wallets period at your wedding. Don't do it. I'd definitely side eye a "honeymoon dance" at a wedding and wouldn't participate.

• So what about this idea- instead of it being $$ for a Honeymoon- money goes to a charity- American Cancer Society in memory of those we have lost to cancer????!? 'Charity Dollar Dance'.
  • Thanks ladies. :)

Thinking about my FI- he probably would rather poke a fork in his eye than dance with a million people he doesn't know anyways.. haha.

• JosiePNP said:
    Yeah its the dollar dance. That's what I was thinking. I would think it would be fun to get to dance w other people- but without the $$. ANy ideas on how to do it w/o $$?
    Just grab the people you want to dance with and ask them to dance. You don't have to have an announcement or create some gimmick to get people to dance with you. You're the bride; lot's of people want to dance with you!
  • JosiePNP said:
    So what about this idea- instead of it being $$ for a Honeymoon- money goes to a charity- American Cancer Society in memory of those we have lost to cancer????!? 'Charity Dollar Dance'.

If you want to dance with your guests, just dance with them.  Money shouldn't change hands.

If you want to raise money for a charity, that's something you need to do separately from your wedding.

• JosiePNP said:

Yeah its the dollar dance. That's what I was thinking. I would think it would be fun to get to dance w other people- but without the $$. ANy ideas on how to do it w/o $$?

Just dance. It's not that hard. Was at a wedding this weekend where the bride was on the dance floor all night and probably danced with everyone there at least once. Have fun and people will join you. No need to resort to trickery or asking people to spend money at your party.
  • I'm so confused. You need a way to dance with your guests?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Nope. Nixed this idea. thanks for the input ladies.
  • I have only ever seen this at a Traditional Lebanese wedding and a Filipino Wedding -because the "Dollar Dance" is part of their traditional festivities, and they don't do gift giving the way Westerners may.

If there is no expected cultural tradition - then perhaps leave this idea behind.

On a slightly different note - I have seen couples do some type of dollar thing for their kissing requests. I have seen people pay a dollar to putt a golf ball or spin a wheel that relates to how the couple will kiss (instead of clinking glasses)....No sure that is any more appropriate but at least then people are not throwing money at you/on you.
  • I have only ever seen this at a Traditional Lebanese wedding and a Filipino Wedding -because the "Dollar Dance" is part of their traditional festivities, and they don't do gift giving the way Westerners may.

If there is no expected cultural tradition - then perhaps leave this idea behind.

On a slightly different note - I have seen couples do some type of dollar thing for their kissing requests. I have seen people pay a dollar to putt a golf ball or spin a wheel that relates to how the couple will kiss (instead of clinking glasses)....No sure that is any more appropriate but at least then people are not throwing money at you/on you.

That is way too many levels of inappropriate.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards