Wedding Etiquette Forum

Block of Rooms

Hello! Wasn't sure where to post... I assumed this is a good place to start.

We don't have many people traveling very far for our wedding, about 6 guests are 3 hours away. The rest of our guests are within a 30-45 minute drive from the venue. Recently, I've had friends and family that live close to our venue ask if we would be doing a hotel block or had recommended hotels. I didn't think anyone would want hotel rooms, but I understand that we're getting married at a winery and will have an open bar and people want to enjoy themselves.

I looked into reserving a block of rooms at the closest hotel, which is about 15 minutes away. The group rate they offer is $139 per night, compared to the average of $150-$200 per night.

Here are my two questions/concerns:

1.) Does $139 seem too pricey? Most of the time when we've booked a room for a wedding as part of the block its been about $100. I've checked with other hotels in the area and its all $139 & up, unless I go with a hotel that is in the next town, but that's about 30 minutes away and much closer to most guests homes.

2.) If I book a block of rooms and a large amount of our guests do stay at the hotel, are we required to book a shuttle or provide some sort of transport for our guests to the venue? (We will be providing transport for our wedding party)

Re: Block of Rooms

• 1) it's fine it's just a courtesy.

2) it would be nice, and many hotels will provide a complimentary shuttle, but it isn't required.
  • 1) If that is the price they offer, that is the price they offer.  If your guests don't want to pay that then they will look elsewhere.  A room block is just a nice gesture.  It is not a requirement for you to have one or for your guests to use it.

2) Again, a shuttle is a nice gesture but in no way a requirement.

• I think $139 is fine, especially if that seems to be the norm for the area. The rooms we reserved for our wedding were $150 for the discounted rate. If it's too much for some people, they will find something else.

You are certainly not required to provide a shuttle, though one would surely be appreciated by your guests.

• I'm assuming your friends are asking for a room or accommodations because of the shuttle. I would ask around at different hotels and see which ones, or if any of them, provide complimentary shuttles if you block off rooms with them - and go with that one.

You are not obligated to provide a shuttle, but it IS nice, and your guests are not obligated to stay in a specific hotel if it is out of budget.
  • The hotel we blocked with offered a free shuttle if we had 10 or more rooms booked. I would call around, since that's a good factor in selecting where you book.
  • Mine was $129 which was on the lower end of things... I think $139 is fine if that's the cheapest around... not much you can do about the average pricing in the area.  

Only a few people used our block because they either decided to go with a cheaper hotel (and less nice), or they preferred to stay at a different brand.  If you have the block, just make sure you aren't responsible for any unused rooms.  The Hampton Inn that was closest to my venue required a credit card because of that.  The Marriott we ended up using did not.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Thanks everyone! I did call around to the local hotels and sadly they no longer offer shuttles. Thanks again for the feed back!
  • Neither of the hotels I booked blocks with gave the option of a shuttle.

We went with two hotels, one at a higher price point than the other. I couldn't tell you how many guests actually used the blocks. Not many I think. But it was fine because we were not required to put down a deposit or anything, the rooms were released at a certain date. 

Since you have guests asking, it might be nice to get a block (as long as you aren't responsible for any rooms), and it's up to your guests to go with it or not. Otherwise, accommodations of your guests is not your responsibility. 
  • You can also talk to your venue, they should know the closest hotels and they may even know which ones shuttle to their location! Definitely utilize that venue coordinator, they often no more than we ask from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards