Beverages:
Sparkling cider
Sparkling fruit punch
soda and mineral water
coffee and tea
light beer
microbrew
white and red wine

We have the option of adding three other side options to the dinner, by not adding them we do save some money and I felt like it might be rounded enough without them. Would you want more options at dinner or does this sound like enough?

Side note: no vegetarians or vegans, only one person with a gluten allergy and she will have her own meal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Food!

• Sounds great to me!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Sounds like a fantastic menu to me!
  • sounds like a nice menu.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks everyone, good to know I'm on the right track! Forgot to mention we will also be bringing in pizza for a late night snack!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My only criticism would be that you don't have anything at cocktail hour for your gluten allergy friend. The salmon mousse could easily be done in cucumber cups, hollowed cherry tomatoes or mini sweet peppers, or on endive to be gluten free (assuming the mousse itself is gluten free). Otherwise I would consider adding something like fruit and cheese skewers or a roasted (or raw) veggie tray.
  • jacques27 said:
    My only criticism would be that you don't have anything at cocktail hour for your gluten allergy friend. The salmon mousse could easily be done in cucumber cups, hollowed cherry tomatoes or mini sweet peppers, or on endive to be gluten free (assuming the mousse itself is gluten free). Otherwise I would consider adding something like fruit and cheese skewers or a roasted (or raw) veggie tray.
    This is a good point, they do offer a fruit and cheese platter as well that we could add to the cocktail hour food, or we could swap out one of the options for jumbo shrimp? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jacques27 said:
    My only criticism would be that you don't have anything at cocktail hour for your gluten allergy friend. The salmon mousse could easily be done in cucumber cups, hollowed cherry tomatoes or mini sweet peppers, or on endive to be gluten free (assuming the mousse itself is gluten free). Otherwise I would consider adding something like fruit and cheese skewers or a roasted (or raw) veggie tray.
    This is a good point, they do offer a fruit and cheese platter as well that we could add to the cocktail hour food, or we could swap out one of the options for jumbo shrimp? 
    I feel like a fruit and cheese platter is usually a crowd favorite.  I would think of adding that, especially with your other, less mainstream, appetizers.

Everything sounds tasty to me though!
  • Thank you everyone for the opinions! I'm having trouble with the cocktail hour food because I love EVERYTHING so I'm not sure what will be crowd favorites! Now for some more help from everyone on here.. I'm going to list out a sampling and please (especially picky eaters) list out your top 3 crowd pleasers!!!

Lodge smoked salmon mousse on balsamic crostini

Brie en croute with huckleberry preserves

Serrano ham and melons

antipasto skewers

jumbo shrimp

endive stuffed with smokey blue mousse and hazelnuts

caramelized sweet onion tart with olive and asiago cheese

spinach and goat cheese crostini

cheese and fruit platter

thai chicken satay

mini crab cakes

wild mushroom strudel

stuffed mushrooms

bourbon bbq meatballs

steak bite skewers

Note: For those of you that don't know what brie en croute is: brie wrapped in a puff pasty topped with preserves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the opinions! I'm having trouble with the cocktail hour food because I love EVERYTHING so I'm not sure what will be crowd favorites! Now for some more help from everyone on here.. I'm going to list out a sampling and please (especially picky eaters) list out your top 3 crowd pleasers!!!

Lodge smoked salmon mousse on balsamic crostini  It's whipped fish. Even people who like salmon probably don't like salmon the texture of pudding.

Brie en croute with huckleberry preserves  Personally, I love it, but feel it's better for a dinner party at home instead of a large crowd mingling.

Serrano ham and melons

antipasto skewers

jumbo shrimp

endive stuffed with smokey blue mousse and hazelnuts  I realize blue cheese can be just as polarizing as olives (and I like, but don't love both), but this actually sounds interesting to me.  Risky, but interesting.

caramelized sweet onion tart with olive and asiago cheese  Honestly, the idea of olives in it made it a no.  I've had plenty of delicious onion tarts and I don't hate olives, but in this?  No.

cheese and fruit platter

thai chicken satay  You already have chicken as a main.

mini crab cakes

wild mushroom strudel  I'd pick one mushroom app and pick stuffed over strudel, personally.

stuffed mushrooms  Stuffed mushrooms are one of the first things to go at every cocktail/apps party my friends have thrown and depending on what they are stuffed with can be gluten-free for your friend.

bourbon bbq meatballs

steak bite skewers  You already have prime rib as a main.

Note: For those of you that don't know what brie en croute is: brie wrapped in a puff pasty topped with preserves.

Well, the truly picky eaters in my life probably would only eat the steak bite skewers and maybe the fruit and cheese platter.  The slightly less picky would probably eat the shrimp, possibly the stuffed mushrooms and chicken satay if the sauce was on the side and the bbq meatballs.  They wouldn't touch runny or stinky cheese, olives, or whipped fish. 

I personally, would eat the hell out of stuffed mushrooms, the blue cheese mousse, and ham and melon.  However, I probably would pick the stuffed mushrooms, meatballs, and either the crabcakes or shrimp, and add fruit and cheese platter.

• I think you've got lots for your main, and it all sounds great.

I think the crab cake are a better option than the mousse for your seafood, and the jumbo shrimp are probably even better than that if you have a GF friend who couldn't eat the crab if it was bound together by breadcrumbs.  Don't get me wrong; FI and I love a good salmon mousse, but we noticed we were the only ones eating it at parties and so we stopped bringing it.

Keep in mind both brie and blue cheese can be problematic for people with mold allergies, the brie because of the rind and the blue because of the veining.   If there's a chance of this being an issue for guests, maybe the goat cheese or the fruit and cheese would be a better dairy option.

If the antipasto skewers include artichokes then I'd say have them, but I would live on artichokes if possible! 
  • I'm a very adventurous eater FTR. I think for events you should err on the side of "safe" choices for the masses even if they're a little less exciting than what you'd personally order at a restaurant. Unless you have the budget to cover the safe stuff and then add some less popular items. For example, when I got married my now ex-H had a food hookup so we were able to afford a lot more than if we had to pay a caterer the way they normally charge, so we were able to add things like a sushi bar, but if most of our guests hated sushi, there were still a ton of other apps. 

If I were you, I'd pick the cheese and fruit platter, jumbo shrimp, and meatballs or one of the skewers. 

My coordinator told us there was never enough shrimp at any wedding ever. So we brought in a shit ton of shrimp. I don't remember the exact amount but a stupid amount, along with a TON of other food and the shrimp was indeed all gone. 
  • Thanks everyone, this is really helpful! Food is a difficult one for me because of appealing to the masses, with the amount of money we are spending on the food I hate to spend it on a meatball but if that's what most people will eat then so be it! I'm now thinking the shrimp and stuffed mushrooms, add the cheese and fruit platter, and maybe meatballs.. nothing I'm overly excited about but if most people will like it that's what matters!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with the safe, people-pleasing options.  For apps, I'd do crabcakes, stuffed mushrooms and meatballs.  I'd also do the cheese and fruit tray you mentioned earlier - it's always nice as a guest to have something to walk up to and munch on rather than waiting for a server.
  • All sounds really good! I think you have it nailed.

We're in the middle of planning our menu right now, its such a minefield. I think your ideas sound great, and if in doubt err on the safe side so that the majority are well catered for.

And I agree about the shrimp - no such thing as too much shrimp!

• jacques27 said:

The menu as it is now sounds delicious. I think you can add the fruit and cheese platter to it seamlessly and it'll be that much more delicious.

Serrano ham and melons

antipasto skewers

jumbo shrimp

cheese and fruit platter

thai chicken satay

mini crab cakes

wild mushroom strudel

stuffed mushrooms

bourbon bbq meatballs

steak bite skewers

A lot of them sound delicious. I bolded the ones that I think sound like they will be the most popular and go the best with your menu.
  • Jen4948 said:

Thank you everyone for the opinions! I'm having trouble with the cocktail hour food because I love EVERYTHING so I'm not sure what will be crowd favorites! Now for some more help from everyone on here.. I'm going to list out a sampling and please (especially picky eaters) list out your top 3 crowd pleasers!!!

Serrano ham and melons

antipasto skewers

jumbo shrimp

cheese and fruit platter

thai chicken satay

mini crab cakes

wild mushroom strudel

stuffed mushrooms

bourbon bbq meatballs

steak bite skewers

A lot of them sound delicious. I bolded the ones that I think sound like they will be the most popular and go the best with your menu.
    I picked the meatballs instead of the shrimp to get one meat option (and one seafood option).  
  • The menu sounds yummy, what time & where should I show up?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards