Chit Chat

Help me Christmas shop

My very precocious grandson is obsessed with his Mommy's new phone.  He loves playing games on it.  Daughter suggested we get him a child's tablet.  DH is an engineer, so he likes the idea.
Does anybody have any experience with these?  We are considering the Leapfrog Epic 7.
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Help me Christmas shop

• madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I don't have experience with Leapfrog, but I know my 3 year-old goddaughter loves my Kindle... And Amazon has a kid-version (click) that has a kid-proof case, a year of free Free Time (parental controls), and a two-year replacement warranty for if(when) a a kid breaks it. I have had my Kindle (the adult kind) for three years, and I love it. 

How old is your grandson?

ETF typo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • He is two and a half, but he is very advanced.  Daddy is an engineer; Grandpa is an engineer, Uncle is an engineer.  I think it is genetic.
    I like the Leapfrog because it has 16gb memory, while most of the others have only 8gb.  DH is sneering at it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Honestly, if going the tablet route, I would just go for an iPad mini. My niece and nephew had a leapfrog tablet and they outgrew it very quickly. There's plenty a toddler can do on it. I do realize the iPad has a higher price tag though.
  • I don't know too much about tablets for kids, but I do know someone who has the kid's version of the kindle for their child and really likes it.
  • My four year old has the leapfrog and loves it.

I can plug it into the computer and see what sort of stuff he is learning, pictures he takes, and for spelling games i can program which words i want him to learn.

Absolutely love it.

• Personally, I'd go with something like tickets to Disney on ice or take him to the zoo. If you want something concrete, board books or a costume of his favorite character would be fun.

But if you do go the tablet route, no way would I give a 2 1/2 year old an expensive tablet like an iPad mini. It would probably end up with the screen broken and in the toilet.
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragain said:
    There is also the idea hovering in my brain that there is going to be another grandchild in June.  Yay!
    Awesome!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Personally, I'd go with something like tickets to Disney on ice or take him to the zoo. If you want something concrete, board books or a costume of his favorite character would be fun. But if you do go the tablet route, no way would I give a 2 1/2 year old an expensive tablet like an iPad mini. It would probably end up with the screen broken and in the toilet.
    My daughter and her family live 2000 miles away.  Daughter is a stay-at-home Mom who is taking time out from teaching to start her family.  She has a master's degree in science education curriculum.  Grandson has already been to every science center, zoo and museum in the Washington-Baltimore area.  We are also funding a two day a week pre-school program for him to build social and language skills.
    At the age of two, he knows all his letters and numbers and is beginning to read on his own.  I am afraid he is going to be that weird little nerd kid, but then, I guess that must be genetic, too.  His Mom could read at three. 

The two tablets I am considering are the Leapfrog and Kindlefire for children.  They are designed for three-year-olds, and have breakage guarantees and toilet flush guarantees.  No, I wouldn't give him an adult tablet, either.  When he was one, he got the TV remote and ordered up a bunch of pay-per-view adult entertainment.  They have kept the remote out of reach since then.
    Thank you for your suggestions. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'd go with the Amazon fire for kids. 
  • I also suggest the Kindle Fire kids tablet. My dad got my nephew one when we was about 3 years old and he loved it.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    OT story:  Daughter is crying...so what's wrong?
    Simon!
    What did Simon do?
    I asked him where his other sock was.  He said "Gone.  Bye-bye."
    Where did the sock go, Simon?
    "Flush!  Gone."
    AAaaaaaaah!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • the Amazon Kid Kindle fire is on sale until 11/30.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My mom bought my kids each an RCA 7 inch tablet from Wal-Mart for $39.99 last year for Black Friday. They have been working just fine for games and skyping with their cousins out of state. We have parental controls on them so they aren't allowed to download anything without our password or access internet sites.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards