Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Help! Need All(or most)-inclusive wedding venues for $50 per person!

Okay, so my fiance and I have decided to get married on June 22nd, 2016 (our 6 year anniversary). We are on a budget, so we figured that a weekday wedding would save some money. However, most all-inclusive places that we have seen aren't going below $65-70 per person. That's not the worst price ever, but if I could get it lower, I would be very happy! I still need to factor in the DJ, photographer, favors, decorations, transportation, hotel, and other miscellaneous things. I would love to pay for the entire wedding in 20-25,000 (closer to 20). 

Also, we have quite a large guest count (around 200-250). I have always wanted a large wedding, and now I'm afraid that I won't be able to have my vision come true within my price.

I have seen large DIY weddings done for around 30-40 per person, but as a PhD student, I'm always busy and I don't really have the time to put in all of the planning that would be necessary. However, if you can recommend any good, inexpensive caterers that can serve alcohol, I'd love to hear about them! I am open to venues that allow outside caterers. I just want to avoid renting tables, chairs, forks, etc. I'd rather it all be included in a package.

Because it will be a summer wedding, I really want the venue to have an outside component. I'm envisioning an outside ceremony and a reception that's either tented, or in a room with a patio, big windows, etc. 

I've been looking at places like Celebrations and Pen Ryn (Bensalem, PA) which have given me the best all-inclusive prices so far. I just haven't found that perfect place yet. Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I think I just need more suggestions so that I can really find the right venue for our perfect day. 

If you have any suggestions, questions, or advice, I would love to hear them!!!! 
Thanks in advance <3

Re: Help! Need All(or most)-inclusive wedding venues for $50 per person!

• Options
    I

Okay, so my fiance and I have decided to get married on June 22nd, 2016 (our 6 year anniversary). We are on a budget, so we figured that a weekday wedding would save some money. However, most all-inclusive places that we have seen aren't going below $65-70 per person. That's not the worst price ever, but if I could get it lower, I would be very happy! I still need to factor in the DJ, photographer, favors, decorations, transportation, hotel, and other miscellaneous things. I would love to pay for the entire wedding in 20-25,000 (closer to 20). 

Also, we have quite a large guest count (around 200-250). I have always wanted a large wedding, and now I'm afraid that I won't be able to have my vision come true within my price.

I have seen large DIY weddings done for around 30-40 per person, but as a PhD student, I'm always busy and I don't really have the time to put in all of the planning that would be necessary. However, if you can recommend any good, inexpensive caterers that can serve alcohol, I'd love to hear about them! I am open to venues that allow outside caterers. I just want to avoid renting tables, chairs, forks, etc. I'd rather it all be included in a package.

Because it will be a summer wedding, I really want the venue to have an outside component. I'm envisioning an outside ceremony and a reception that's either tented, or in a room with a patio, big windows, etc. 

I've been looking at places like Celebrations and Pen Ryn (Bensalem, PA) which have given me the best all-inclusive prices so far. I just haven't found that perfect place yet. Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I think I just need more suggestions so that I can really find the right venue for our perfect day. 

If you have any suggestions, questions, or advice, I would love to hear them!!!! 
    Thanks in advance <3

Typically catering and venue is roughly 60% of your budget. If you're inviting 250 at $50pp that would put your budget around $21,000. At $60pp that ups your budget to $25,000. Now there are other ways to keep it down, mainly cutting the guest list, having a brunch/lunch or off meal time reception. I don't have suggestions about your specific location, you may want to visit your local board for that, but if you're looking for an evening wedding, during the summer (peak wedding season), with everything included you may have a tough time at $50pp with an indoor/outdoor component might be difficult.
  • Options

Thanks in advance <3
    You need to rethink your priorities.  Your "vision" does not fit your budget.  What is most important to you?  Guest list?  Alcohol?  Dancing?  Time of day?
    It is not going to be "our perfect day".  Forget the word "perfect" when planning a wedding.  Repeat to yourself, over and over, "There is no such thing as a perfect wedding."

There are many ways for you to have a lovely wedding within your budget:

1.  Cut your guest list.
    2.  Cut the alcohol.
    3.  Have a morning or early afternoon ceremony with a brunch reception.
    4.  Cut the DJ and use an IPOD.
    5.  You don't need a limousine.  What transportation costs?
    6.  What hotel costs?
    7.  Cut the favors.  They are optional, anyway.

I would suggest that you ask some all-inclusive venues about brunch weddings.  They do all the work for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

First - you should post this to your local boards as they'll be able to give you recommendations on specific locations. 

Your budget and guest list aren't the problem - your champagne tastes are...  IMO, that's a reasonable budget to work with for that many guests for many parts of PA as long as you keep your expectations in check.  Have you done a real-world who's invited from both sides list yet to come to that number or are you pulling that number out of the sky?  You never know, your guest list might be closer to 100 than 250 or it could be closer to 350.  It's entirely possible to be under your budget, but you aren't going to get there at $50/pp., something needs to give.  I'd start with looking for simpler venues that aren't necessarily all-inclusive, or look at simpler meal options (chicken and mashed potatoes & veggie is perfectly fine!).  There's nothing wrong with the local large Community Center or KC Hall as long as you're still hosting everyone properly.  Or for that matter a local hotel might offer space at a reasonable rate and be more flexible if you have 100% yes RSVP's or 20% yes RSVP's. 

It's also a Wednesday vs. a Friday or Saturday.  You can ask yourselves "do I really NEED a DJ?" because it's not likely that people are going to stick around late into the evening.  Same goes for a consumption vs. a per person bar.  Also, many places charge the same rates on a Saturday as they do a Tuesday so ask when you're doing your booking.  If you want more guests to attend, don't plan a weekday event.  Your budget is going to potentially fluctuate a lot if you're during the week because RSVP's can be all over the map.  What happens if your all-inclusive venue has a 200 person minimum and you only have 75 that RSVP "yes" because it's a Wednesday, these are real-world things to ask.  Looking for a venue that can adjust if the need arises is also something to consider so you don't have to pay for more guests than you actually have.  Really differentiate between a "need" vs. a "want". 

Finally - I'd check with the Caesar's Resorts out there and see what they'd run depending on the composition of your guest list.  They're an actual all-inclusive down to the smaller details (photography, entertainment, decoration, etc.) and not too far from the Philly area (we flew out of there on our Honeymoon at the resort).. 

• Options
    MesmrEwe said:

It's also a Wednesday vs. a Friday or Saturday.  You can ask yourselves "do I really NEED a DJ?" because it's not likely that people are going to stick around late into the evening.  Same goes for a consumption vs. a per person bar. 

I think this is a huge factor - it sounds as though you are planning a big 'blow-out' wedding (not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you want) but I'm not sure you're going to get that effect on a Wednesday night. I'm concerned that you may be very disappointed because this will (presumably) impact how many people are willing to travel and how late they will stay if they are working the next day/have kids at school etc. 

I would definitely go with a consumption bar on a Wednesday night wedding and I'd think very carefully about whether you do need a DJ. 

What time is the ceremony going to start? It would really have to be after 7pm at least unless you're expecting people to take time off work to get there in time. Even if you have a short ceremony and then a short cocktail hour so that dinner is served at 8 (which I guess would necessitate a first-look), you probably wouldn't finish a sit-down dinner until 9.30pm. My guess is that many people would then start drifting out between 9.30-10.30pm in order to get home in a decent time for work the next day, in which case a DJ may be wasted money. 
  • Options
    On a Wednesday? I would assume you don't care if I can come and would RSVP no unless you are my sister. What makes you think 200 people are going to show? Are they all local?
  • Options
    Ditto PP, I think it is highly, highly ambitious to think you are going to have 250 guests on a Wednesday. If I was invited to a Wednesday wedding, I certainly wouldn't be staying for dancing, so things like a DJ aren't necessary. Also, most people will be working during the day, so even if your venue had an outside component, you really shouldn't start your ceremony before 6:00pm (so your reception wouldn't start until 7 at the earliest) making an outside portion obsolete.

I think you have 2 main options here:
    1.) intimate Wednesday high-end formal dinner with close friends/ family at a nice restaurant (think around 50 people- I doubt you would get more than your super close friends and family on a Wednesday- it is awfully inconvenient).

2.) Saturday casual reception with 250 people where you serve BBQ or other inexpensive buffet food and have a much more of a casual party atmosphere. You could have a DJ or iPod and dancing, but it would be a much more casual affair. This is also where you could have an outdoor component.

I would definitely prefer option 2. I really dislike midweek weddings. Nothing would send the message of "we don't really want you there but we want gifts" to me faster than having a Wednesday midweek wedding during the standard work day.
  • Options
    I hope none of those 250 are OOT guests? I'd only be using my precious holiday allowance if it was for family or really close friends, sorry OP. Plus with most of your guests coming from work and getting up for work the next day I think it will be hard to get the party atmosphere it sounds like you want.

I'm always surprised with such large guest lists though, are all 250 really must have guests? With a smaller guest list you could host everyone so much better, have a great party and keep within your budget on a day of the week that is much more convenient for everyone!

Since you haven't booked anything I'd have a chat with your FI about what are the most important things you want from your reception and go from there.

• Options
    As someone who had a weekday wedding (Monday) be prepared for a lot of declines of people who just can't get off work and for a lot of people to leave early, like right after dinner early. We had our reasons for having a Monday wedding, it worked with the majority of our guest list. Our guest list was also much smaller (65 invited, 40 came). Personally I'd find a Monday or Friday much easier to attend than a Wednesday, because it kind of rolls into the weekend so see if they will give you similar pricing for a Monday or Friday. Still you will see a lot more declines than a Saturday/Sunday. There's a reason they are more expensive.

Don't let your anniversary date decide your wedding date, it honestly doesn't matter if it's a few days before or after (or a few weeks or months). Pick a date that will work for your guests. It sounds like you want a large wedding so it'd be really sad if you set your wedding for a Wednesday and then a large number of your guests declined... I was really stressed for the weeks leading up to our wedding wondering if we were going to hit the 40 minimum! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards