Attire & Accessories Forum

Fit and Flare question ... Feeling mislead?

Hey ladies.. question.
Back in January, I found my dress, a very sparkly Essense of Australia fit and flare dress (this one for anyone interested) and it just came in last week. 

In the months leading up to the dress coming in, a few people I am friends with on Facebook got married and of course I stalked the hell out of their wedding photos they posted for ideas and what not. Well, I came across a bride who had an ultimate luxury gorgeous wedding .. except the one thing that really stood out to me was her fit and flare dress. The dress did not "fit" her hips at all, it was nice around her waist then just completely lost shape at the bottom - and I literally said to myself "thank gosh mine gives me more shape". I'm super tall and thin and loved that my dress really would give me a curvier look.

When I tried on the floor dress in January, the lady at the bridal salon pinned the hell out of it so it fit me perfectly, and I was in love.
Fast forward to last week when I tried on my actual dress for the first time, just to start talking about the alterations needed .. and the lady tells me I shouldn't take it in around my hips/thighs at all as it will be super uncomfortable/impossible to sit. I can't help but feel slightly mislead. I guess it is somewhat my fault as I didn't ask the question about sitting down on purchase day, but I guess I assumed they pin the floor dresses to what the dress will look like altered. 

Did any other brides have a fit and flare that didn't hug your hips and thighs as you thought it would? Even in the photo on the model, the dress is super fitted. 

I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake with this dress! :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.

Re: Fit and Flare question ... Feeling mislead?

• I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is exactly why I didn't go with that style of dress. I did the "sit test" with every dress I tried on. The dress I ended up going with was tighter around the hip and thigh, but I was able to pull it up some to sit down comfortably. That looks difficult with this dress - have you tried that?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • It's going to sound silly - but what about "pinning" (clear snaps) it for those types of pictures on your wedding day (similar to a bustle but to lock it in for when you're going to be standing) so you get the look in pictures then let them out when it's time for things like sitting/dancing at your reception? 
  • I had a pretty fitted dress, mainly through the bodice and hips, not the thighs. Sitting wasn't comfortable, but I really only needed it through dinner. I was concerned about dancing so I practiced in the store.

If you want it really fitted go for it. Just know sitting and dancing might be difficult but only you know what you're willing to put up with on your wedding day. I like @MesmrEwe suggestion of clear snaps for the photos and letting it out to dance or sit.
  • My dress was fitted and I didn't have problems sitting.
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2015
    Your dress is gorgeous!  I just wanted to add that I'm tall and thin too (5'8" 120 lbs with zero curves to speak of) and I had a similar experience when my gown first came in. It was loose everywhere. After my first fitting it was so much better, and I could begin to see the fit and flare shape. She took it in to right above the knee (you can't tell in the picture but it was snug to the knee). The alterations lady had me do the sit test a few times and it was fine. Plus, depending on the fabric, it might give just a little while you're wearing it. Don't give up just yet!  Good luck!
  • I think maybe waiting until after your first fitting to see how it looks. Also I don't think I will be sitting much during my wedding, but who knows! Gorgeous dress by the way!! I am sure that you did not make the wrong decision. I bet you will look beautiful either way <3
  • I had practically the exact same dress by a different designer! Honestly, mine was pretty snug and I could basically only perch on the edge of a chair, not sit back. I didn't care at all...I could eat just fine sitting up straight, and spent the rest of the time standing and mingling and dancing. There was never a moment where I felt "man, I wish I could sit down and lean back!". And actually, 2 of my favorite professional photos of the day I'm sitting in! My posture looks fantastic. :-)
  • Thank you so much for the replies, ladies! I am feeling pretty encouraged. And you are right - I will be sitting probably just long enough to scarf down some tacos then back up to dance and mingle! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Same as Mandy - mine was fitted to just below my butt.  I pulled it up just a tad to make more room right before I sat down, then kind of perched on my seat (this was also to avoid completely unhooking my bustle).  Honestly, I barely sat down that day in my dress.  I wanted it to be very fitted, but my mom and seamstress convinced me to leave just a little bit of room right at the bend so I could sit down and actually breathe in it/not feel like I was going to rip it.  Work with your seamstress to find the balance between very fitted and too loose.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards