Pre-wedding Parties

Gift for Engagement Party?

Hi All,

We were recently invited to an engagement party for a couple planning a late 2016 wedding.  The groom's parents are hosting the party at their house and it seems to be a fairly casual event (it was an e-vite).  Just want to figure out if proper ettiquette is to bring a gift for this?  Obviously we will be getting them a wedding gift as well but not sure where Engagement parties fall in the gift-giving scale.

Thanks!

Re: Gift for Engagement Party?

• Hi All,

We were recently invited to an engagement party for a couple planning a late 2016 wedding.  The groom's parents are hosting the party at their house and it seems to be a fairly casual event (it was an e-vite).  Just want to figure out if proper ettiquette is to bring a gift for this?  Obviously we will be getting them a wedding gift as well but not sure where Engagement parties fall in the gift-giving scale.

Thanks!
    They don't (fall in the gift-giving scale).  I'd bring two bottles of wine, one for the hosts, one for the couple.  Done.
  • Wine is usually the safe gift if you want to give something. I've only ever been invited to one engagement party. I opted not to attend but included a movie gift card in a congratulatory card that I sent, and I wish I hadn't, honestly. I don't really consider engagement parties to be gift giving events. The couple will get gifts when they actually get married. I don't really understand the reasoning behind giving a gift for simply officially deciding to discuss wedding plans.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Engagement parties are held to offer congratulations to the newly engaged couple. Gifts are not necessary. I do, however, typically bring a hostess gift when going to a house party. My typical "go-to's" are wine, flowers, or candy, depending on the host and what I know about them.
  • I've been to one engagement party ever, and I brought a bottle of champagne and a nice card.
  • i feel like if you are invited to a party, you bring a gift. never show up empty handed. in my neck of the woods and culture, cash is the most widely done gift. my engagement party was this weekend and 90% was cash. only one person showed up without a gift. at least bring a card. lol.
  • i feel like if you are invited to a party, you bring a gift. never show up empty handed. in my neck of the woods and culture, cash is the most widely done gift. my engagement party was this weekend and 90% was cash. only one person showed up without a gift. at least bring a card. lol.
    Based on what your wrote on a zombie e party thread it seems like you are treating an engagement party like a freaking jack and jill.

• Aaaand it's probably too much to hope for that Knottie#s sent thank you notes for those cash gifts, isn't it?
  • At our engagement party we got gifts/cards with checks from ~40% of guests, which was was more than I expected. Engagement parties aren't gift giving events and we were shocked by how generous our guests were. It was a lot of fun opening the gifts, mostly because they were so unexpected.

Bringing a gift is not expected at all, but if you feel so inclined a small household gift for the hosts and a card for the couple would be appreciated, I'm sure.
  • I have been to several engagement parties and usually bring a small gift (wine is a good suggestion). I don't think it expected though; at all these parties only a portion of the guests brought something so I think you are fine either way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards