Pre-wedding Parties

Gift for Engagement Party?

Hi All,

We were recently invited to an engagement party for a couple planning a late 2016 wedding.  The groom's parents are hosting the party at their house and it seems to be a fairly casual event (it was an e-vite).  Just want to figure out if proper ettiquette is to bring a gift for this?  Obviously we will be getting them a wedding gift as well but not sure where Engagement parties fall in the gift-giving scale.

Thanks!

Re: Gift for Engagement Party?

• Hi All,

We were recently invited to an engagement party for a couple planning a late 2016 wedding.  The groom's parents are hosting the party at their house and it seems to be a fairly casual event (it was an e-vite).  Just want to figure out if proper ettiquette is to bring a gift for this?  Obviously we will be getting them a wedding gift as well but not sure where Engagement parties fall in the gift-giving scale.

Thanks!
    They don't (fall in the gift-giving scale).  I'd bring two bottles of wine, one for the hosts, one for the couple.  Done.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake Beyond the Wall member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    Wine is usually the safe gift if you want to give something. I've only ever been invited to one engagement party. I opted not to attend but included a movie gift card in a congratulatory card that I sent, and I wish I hadn't, honestly. I don't really consider engagement parties to be gift giving events. The couple will get gifts when they actually get married. I don't really understand the reasoning behind giving a gift for simply officially deciding to discuss wedding plans.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    ShesSoCold
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Engagement parties are held to offer congratulations to the newly engaged couple. Gifts are not necessary. I do, however, typically bring a hostess gift when going to a house party. My typical "go-to's" are wine, flowers, or candy, depending on the host and what I know about them.
  • I've been to one engagement party ever, and I brought a bottle of champagne and a nice card.
  • i feel like if you are invited to a party, you bring a gift. never show up empty handed. in my neck of the woods and culture, cash is the most widely done gift. my engagement party was this weekend and 90% was cash. only one person showed up without a gift. at least bring a card. lol.
  • i feel like if you are invited to a party, you bring a gift. never show up empty handed. in my neck of the woods and culture, cash is the most widely done gift. my engagement party was this weekend and 90% was cash. only one person showed up without a gift. at least bring a card. lol.
    Based on what your wrote on a zombie e party thread it seems like you are treating an engagement party like a freaking jack and jill.

nerdwife[Deleted User]InLoveInQueens
  • Aaaand it's probably too much to hope for that Knottie#s sent thank you notes for those cash gifts, isn't it?
    levioosasparklepants41InLoveInQueens
  • At our engagement party we got gifts/cards with checks from ~40% of guests, which was was more than I expected. Engagement parties aren't gift giving events and we were shocked by how generous our guests were. It was a lot of fun opening the gifts, mostly because they were so unexpected.

Bringing a gift is not expected at all, but if you feel so inclined a small household gift for the hosts and a card for the couple would be appreciated, I'm sure.
  • I have been to several engagement parties and usually bring a small gift (wine is a good suggestion). I don't think it expected though; at all these parties only a portion of the guests brought something so I think you are fine either way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards