Snarky Brides
Options

fifty days away

edited November 2015 in Snarky Brides
My wedding is 01/15/16.  My sister and her mom are event/wedding planners.  They have been involved this whole past year, basically knocking everything I planned.  I wanted to cancel the wedding at least five times because they had me so frustrated.  At First they tried to get me to wear my sisters wedding dress.  Using my love for family to try to guilt me.  Then they tried to take over the whole wedding, because they work in the wedding industry ( for the past two years) BUT its my wedding.  Not theirs.  Finally we are almost there I ignored most their vindictiveness , got my beautiful ball gown, decided on my décor and wedding favors regardless.  Now its almost time, I asked them if they had the design for the centerpiece to show me.  Her mom was all, um Its a surprise, this is our wedding gift to you, you have so much else to worry about, let use worry about the décor.....NO NO NO... Am I wrong for putting my foot down? I told her no you will show me what you are designing.  How am I not going to have any say in my ceremony and reception décor? Only the décor I picked, made or bought for the lobby.  So ready for this day to be here.  I just wanted to enjoy planning my wedding and its been a nightmare.  Plus the fact that they told my fiancé that he better get used to spending a lot of money if he is going to be with me because I have expensive taste, Yes I do, I work really hard to buy nice things.   I'm not going to apologize.

Re: fifty days away

• Options
    I don't know why you would even wonder if you're wrong to put your foot down. I also don't understand why you wouldn't have any idea what your centerpieces look like, though.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I

My wedding is 01/15/16.  My sister and her mom are event/wedding planners.  They have been involved this whole past year, basically knocking everything I planned.  I wanted to cancel the wedding at least five times because they had me so frustrated.  At First they tried to get me to wear my sisters wedding dress.  Using my love for family to try to guilt me.  Then they tried to take over the whole wedding, because they work in the wedding industry ( for the past two years) BUT its my wedding.  Not theirs.  Finally we are almost there I ignored most their vindictiveness , got my beautiful ball gown, decided on my décor and wedding favors regardless.  Now its almost time, I asked them if they had the design for the centerpiece to show me.  Her mom was all, um Its a surprise, this is our wedding gift to you, you have so much else to worry about, let use worry about the décor.....NO NO NO... Am I wrong for putting my foot down? I told her no you will show me what you are designing.  How am I not going to have any say in my ceremony and reception décor? Only the décor I picked, made or bought for the lobby.  So ready for this day to be here.  I just wanted to enjoy planning my wedding and its been a nightmare.  Plus the fact that they told my fiancé that he better get used to spending a lot of money if he is going to be with me because I have expensive taste, Yes I do, I work really hard to buy nice things.   I'm not going to apologize.

They sound immensely frustrating. My sister (not an event planner) has done similar things to me already - telling me she always pictured me having a small DW, pushing me to cut my guest list, to only look at the exact dresses I don't want, etc. I anticipate it getting worse by the time I'm as close as you are, but that's why my FI and I are the ones primarily planning.

You have every right to put your foot down. This is your wedding, and the decor should be what you and your FI want. Even if they're paying, I think you should at least know and have an opinion on the colors, tall vs short, etc.

• Options

yea, it's fine to have a general idea of colors, but I'm going to lean the opposite way. I was so happen when my mom would just choose certain things last minute. I had become wedding saturated and really appreciated the help. Especially for these design elements that aren't going to matter in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards