Wedding Reception Forum

Help! Wedding reception layout?

I am looking for suggestions on how to do my wedding. We are on a budget and have chosen to do a ceremony and reception at this barn for an amazing deal. It is an open barn(as you can see in the photos). The dimensions of it are 24 x 40 feet. There is more then enough space outside (located on 23 acres). I am estimating around 75 guests. I'd like to do dinner inside the barn but there will not be room for a dancefloor with all the tables and chairs. I was considering doing a dancefloor just outside the barn entrance but am concerned it might feel disconnected. Any opinions/suggestions? All help appreciated!

Re: Help! Wedding reception layout?

• I am looking for suggestions on how to do my wedding. We are on a budget and have chosen to do a ceremony and reception at this barn for an amazing deal. It is an open barn(as you can see in the photos). The dimensions of it are 24 x 40 feet. There is more then enough space outside (located on 23 acres). I am estimating around 75 guests. I'd like to do dinner inside the barn but there will not be room for a dancefloor with all the tables and chairs. I was considering doing a dancefloor just outside the barn entrance but am concerned it might feel disconnected. Any opinions/suggestions? All help appreciated!
    When are you planning for? The indoor/outdoor set up would probably work really well on a clear day in June, but it may be too hot in August or cold in April - in those cases, I'd suggest trying to have the whole thing indoors, where you can control the climate.

To be honest, it sounds like this venue isn't big enough for your needs. What if it rains? You'll have to choose between getting a tent for dancing (another think to budget for), or foregoing the dance floor. Are there other options in your area? If so, I'd keep looking. 
  • I am looking for suggestions on how to do my wedding. We are on a budget and have chosen to do a ceremony and reception at this barn for an amazing deal. It is an open barn(as you can see in the photos). The dimensions of it are 24 x 40 feet. There is more then enough space outside (located on 23 acres). I am estimating around 75 guests. I'd like to do dinner inside the barn but there will not be room for a dancefloor with all the tables and chairs. I was considering doing a dancefloor just outside the barn entrance but am concerned it might feel disconnected. Any opinions/suggestions? All help appreciated!
    When are you planning for? The indoor/outdoor set up would probably work really well on a clear day in June, but it may be too hot in August or cold in April - in those cases, I'd suggest trying to have the whole thing indoors, where you can control the climate.

To be honest, it sounds like this venue isn't big enough for your needs. What if it rains? You'll have to choose between getting a tent for dancing (another think to budget for), or foregoing the dance floor. Are there other options in your area? If so, I'd keep looking. 
    I was thinking the same thing.

Some other things you'll need to consider if you're doing anything out-of-doors, are protection from bugs, sufficient parking for your guests, and the ground that everyone will have to move over.  Nobody will want to have to pass through or over mud, puddles, rocks, or gravel, so you'll need to make sure that the ground is smooth and dry.  This will be a particular issue for any guests with mobility issues.

One other thing:  Don't use your real name or any other personal information as your screen handle.
  • Thank you! The name was just the premade name that I got when signing up for the knot. Didn't know there was an option to change it.. Lol.

The wedding will be in September. Due to the bad drought in California this year would have been perfect for a September wedding but can't predict for next year. I have been going back and forth with my decision on this location
  • Ditto PPs. Where is the restroom?  Is there one in the barn?  It kind of just looks like an empty space so I can't tell.  Also, keep in mind that this September in Southern California it was around 95 every day. The location looks like it's a lot farther north, but if you're down near L.A., an open barn would probably be way too hot.  

• Thank you for suggestions. It is much farther north then l.a. even farther north from Sacramento.

There is no restroom, we would have a wedding toilet rental. Either one of the luxury trailers, or a wedding flusher portable restroom.
  • Thank you for suggestions. It is much farther north then l.a. even farther north from Sacramento. There is no restroom, we would have a wedding toilet rental. Either one of the luxury trailers, or a wedding flusher portable restroom.
    I went to an outdoor wedding in Cloverdale in September 2012 and we were sweating.  

Another question ... have you talked to your caterer about the venue?  Is there any electricity?  
  • PP's have asked great questions!  

When I looked for my venue, I chose based on which gave me the greatest amount of money for food after all was said and done.  This venue may be cheaper to rent, but after properly equipping it, may end up costing more than your other options.  Don't just consider the base price when determining value.
  • Also, please do the trailer!  The portable restrooms are gross, quite frankly, and almost impossible at night.
  • You could set up a tent over a dance floor facing the open side of the barn. If done correctly, this could create the illusion of a larger space and could work really well. You would need to get the tent with optional sides to protect from weather and you'll probably need to have some sort of fans or a/c.  

It is possible to equip a space like this with everything you need (please get the restroom trailer, not port-a-potties), but it's often a lot more expensive than just renting a fully equipped venue space. You say you're on a tight budget. Have you factored in the cost of renting everything you need and compared it to the cost of other venue options? 

I had a friend who got married last year who was looking at a rooftop space. She was going to be able to use the roof for free and could save money on catering, but the extra cost of having to bring in tables, chairs, dance floor, tents, linens, dishes, etc added up to about $3K more than she could save.  
  • I had to bring in everything.  It wasn't cheap by any means.   If you are on a budget I would run the costs first.     

Between tent, porta-potty trailer, tables, chairs, generators, extra tables for the catering, extension cords (yep, the I needed extension cords),forks, knives, dance floor, etc.  It was $8k.  

That did not include the food, staffing or beverages.

Sometimes DYI is more expense than an all-inclusive place.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If I wasn't emotionally tied to getting married at my mom's house, I absolutely would go to a regular venue that has all the rental-related stuff included. It definitely would have saved us money (and stress). 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks. Have already compared the prices though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards