Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite wording check please

I think this is correct, but it seems off.  I'll take any help! My mother is deceased so I can't list her as a host.

Mr (my step dad first and last name)
Requests the honour of your presence
at the Nuptial Mass at which
Clara (my full name)
and
(DF full name)
son of Mr and Mrs (father in law first and last name)
will be united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
on Saturday, the (date) of December
two thousand sixteen
at half past one in the afternoon
(Church information)

Re: Invite wording check please

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Mr. John Stepfather
    requests the honour of your presence
    at the Nuptial Mass uniting
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
    Saturday, the date of December
    two thousand sixteen
    at half after one o'clock
    Saint Anybody's Catholic Church
    123 Main Street
    Anytown, State (no zip!)

The groom's parents do not belong on the invitation unless they are hosting your wedding.  It is not a crime to put them on, but it isn't traditional, and there is no reason for their names to be simply "listed".  The invitation is a simple, formal note from the host (your stepfather) to the guests, telling them who, what, when and where.  It is not an honor to have your name on the invitation.  It does not include or exclude anybody.  Putting their name on the invitation without reason sort of implies that people won't know who the groom is without the explanation.
    If you are using a program, you would list your future in-laws there, and you should introduce them at the reception.  If you are having a receiving line, they could stand in it with you to greet your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks! I was looking at too many things trying to figure it out. Now to shut my otherwise lovely FMIL down on dress code on invites. It's not happening. It's on our website, I'll put shawls out for any guests who need them, but that's not on an invitation. And really, I suspect our very heavily Catholic guest list who are in this or more conservative diocese will know to dress in an appropriate fashion.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe dress codes for houses of worship are the exception to putting dress codes on the invites. (Although on an insert, not actually on the invitation.) But if it's on your website and you're putting out shawls you're probably OK.
  • From my understanding, the only dress code on invitations that's appropriate is to designate an event as black or white tie.   Plus, I'm not sure how to put the requirements on the invite without seeming snotty, even if it's accepted.  

I do figure having a winter wedding will help keep people covered more, and since the guest list is about 90% Catholic, they're going to know the requirements.  Plus, the wording from our parish is on our website, the family chatty types know the requirements (Grandma loves chatting up everyone, she's excellent to pass things along by), and we'll have shawls of some sort. Hopefully it'll work out fine.
  • Unless you're getting married at the Vatican, I've never really heard of a dress code for attendees.  Obviously, there is appropriate decorum and respect, but unless your guest is formally serving in your wedding as a lector or EMHC, I doubt there are any specific requirements.

@ClaraGrace, If you are interested, PM me.  I have (somewhere!) the template I used for my worship aid.  There is also an addititonal FB group for Catholic women who are preparing for marriage.  Let me know if you'd like for me to send it to you.
  • Unless you're getting married at the Vatican, I've never really heard of a dress code for attendees.  Obviously, there is appropriate decorum and respect, but unless your guest is formally serving in your wedding as a lector or EMHC, I doubt there are any specific requirements.

@ClaraGrace, If you are interested, PM me.  I have (somewhere!) the template I used for my worship aid.  There is also an addititonal FB group for Catholic women who are preparing for marriage.  Let me know if you'd like for me to send it to you.
    I assume the dress code is "covered shoulders" and things like that when inside the church.  If the ladies will have jackets they can leave on if they choose not to utilize your shawls, that would work too.  Then they can shake it out in their dress at the reception.  I would definitely not be nervous about mentioning the dress code to people who might not understand conservatism.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards