Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress shopping round 2

My first attempt at dress shopping went okay.  I have a dress I think I like in mind, but I had a hard time taking myself seriously as a bride and trying on gowns.  The first photo my sis took of me was when I initially saw myself in the first dress and I'm laughing hysterically.  

I also struggle between the cost of the dress and body issues.  I'd rather spend money on a dress that makes me feel good than regret my choice later, but I still get sticker shock!

I set an appointment for David's Bridal while at a bridal show just to get the chick off my back but I have decided to keep it.  So tomorrow I'm going to go by myself, have a cocktail first, and spend the day listening to music that gives me all the feels and am hoping this will help me get my head right.  

Aside from the importance of spanx, does anyone else have advice on tackling this?

Re: Dress shopping round 2

• Options
    David's Bridal has some beautiful dresses at reasonable prices.  They also have a wide variety of sizes for you to try on.  Enjoy!  However, the prices for accessories like veils and undergarments are inflated.  Buy those items elsewhere.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I know what you mean - I tried on dresses for the first time this past Saturday and it was such a surreal experience. I think I said "what" and "what am I doing" like a million times.

Did you try on dresses with veils? When I saw myself in various white dresses, I was like, wow, here I am, wearing a white dress. Then, when I put the veil on, I was like, oh, here I am, looking like a bride. It helped.

I had in mind the dress style I knew I would like best, and I was right. I did try on other styles to make sure, and, much to my annoyance, the people with me loved them. I mean, they knew I didn't want it and loved the dresses I am currently actually deciding between... my point is, while I wanted to make sure I was right about the dress shape/style I wanted, my gut was right, so I suggest just going with that. You know best the style that you feel most comfortable in. However, I thought I wanted a simpler dress, but one of the two I'm deciding between is actually more intricate/decorated than I would've thought I'd like, so maybe stick with the shape you like but be willing to be flexible with patterns/designs?

Not sure if any of that was helpful, but good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    nerdwife said:
    I know what you mean - I tried on dresses for the first time this past Saturday and it was such a surreal experience. I think I said "what" and "what am I doing" like a million times.

Did you try on dresses with veils? When I saw myself in various white dresses, I was like, wow, here I am, wearing a white dress. Then, when I put the veil on, I was like, oh, here I am, looking like a bride. It helped.

I had in mind the dress style I knew I would like best, and I was right. I did try on other styles to make sure, and, much to my annoyance, the people with me loved them. I mean, they knew I didn't want it and loved the dresses I am currently actually deciding between... my point is, while I wanted to make sure I was right about the dress shape/style I wanted, my gut was right, so I suggest just going with that. You know best the style that you feel most comfortable in. However, I thought I wanted a simpler dress, but one of the two I'm deciding between is actually more intricate/decorated than I would've thought I'd like, so maybe stick with the shape you like but be willing to be flexible with patterns/designs?

Not sure if any of that was helpful, but good luck!
    Very helpful!  And it's always good to hear you're not the only one.  I never really wanted a veil, but you're right, maybe adding the accessory will help me feel more bride like.

I had a similar experience too, I always thought I wanted something more plain, but when you're trying the dresses on, the bling catches.  Apparently I love illusion tops, who knew?!  

Thanks and good luck choosing between your two!

ETF stupid puncuation
  • Options
    Today's the day! Hope I don't miss you. Have you been to David's before? I had a really good experience shopping there, especially on a weekday when it was just me and one consultant with no other brides and none of my family or WP there. Their sample sizes range from tiny to size 24 so you can really get a good idea.

I would say try on a BUNCH of different stuff no matter the style you think you might like. All the dresses that I liked on paper weren't flattering or just didn't work. I walked out with a dress the opposite of the style I went in for! Open mind is the key. And the liquor of course ;)

Good luck and give us an update!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemitten Good luck today!

I went by myself for all of my initial shopping trips. After I had picked out some favorites at a few salons, I took my mom and sister back with me to pick out THE dress. Going by myself and having a clear head and an open mind really helped a lot.

You mentioned sticker shock - are you shopping with a specific price point in mind? I was very strict with what I was willing to spend and told all the salons "No dresses over x amount". That way when I was trying on I wasn't worrying about the cost, just about how I felt and how I looked.

• Options
    Very pretty!  I think half the battle is finding a silhouette you like and flatters your figure - then you know what to focus your search on.  I also think it's important to have someone close to you with you who will give you a completely honest opinion.
  • Options
    I love it Kim! You look awesome.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, you know how to make a gal feel good:).

@JoanE2012 You are so right!  After the last appointment I l discovered illusion tops and today I learned I like A Line tulle dresses.  Now to find a combination of the two that I like.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    While I'm at it I might as well show you my fave from my first appointment. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Crap, I LOVE that blush tulle skirt in the 2nd dress!!!! (2nd in terms of your posts I mean).

I love the lace bodice too, but I think the neckline and straps on the first one you posted are more flattering. You are blessed up top and on the blush dress the straps make you seem a tiny bit unbalanced in favor of your top half. Although the photo is sort of from an upward angle haha so that could be it.  o:)

If I was choosing between the two I like the blush tulle skirt dress the best. It's gorgeous.
  • Options
    I will say that I'm biased because my skirt is several layers of tulle too :)
  • Options

Crap, I LOVE that blush tulle skirt in the 2nd dress!!!! (2nd in terms of your posts I mean).

I love the lace bodice too, but I think the neckline and straps on the first one you posted are more flattering. You are blessed up top and on the blush dress the straps make you seem a tiny bit unbalanced in favor of your top half. Although the photo is sort of from an upward angle haha so that could be it.  o:)

If I was choosing between the two I like the blush tulle skirt dress the best. It's gorgeous.

Yeah the blush dress is a size smaller than we'd order it in because it didn't fit me properly in the top. I just wish the skirt was less poofy. And yeah the angle doesn't help (my sister was sitting with her 3 week old taking photos, so we'll let it slide this one time haha).

I do think it's still my favorite as well - they said they can cut the crinoline out to make it smaller, but I'm not sure how much that would help because I have no idea what I'm talking about:). Allure makes another dress with a similar top and a more a-line skirt that I may try to find.
  • Options
    I think crinoline is that hard, mesh layer, it's probably right after the inner lining of the skirt. Mine only has 2 layers of it and it's still pretty poufy. 
  • Options
    I think I like the top of the first one you posted and the blush skirt from the second! Both are gorgeous!

• Options
    loveeee the tulle skirt!!! you look gorgeous! love looking at pictures of other brides in their dresses!
  • Options
    I think both dresses are lovely, but that second one is gorgeous on you!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    While I'm at it I might as well show you my fave from my first appointment. Thoughts?
    Omg I LOVE this! You look gorgeous!!!

• Options
    looking at these photos of everyone else's dress shopping adventures makes me want to find the photos in my phone from when I went! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Blush skirt is my favorite!

• Options
    I really love the blush skirt but I definitely agree with everyone that the top just isn't as flattering as the top on the first dress is on you! I think I'd love it more with the shoulder straps just weren't as wide. Both dresses (and you) are gorgeous!

• Options
    I like the 1st dress better.  But that's because I'm not a fan of tulle, and the second one has lots of it going on.  :)
  • Options
    You look gorgeous in both dresses but I think you look better in the first one, but choose the one you feel right in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards