Not Engaged Yet
Options

Dad told me, so should I tell bf

edited December 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
A few days ago my bf asked for my dad's phone number. I didn't ask why out of respect for his privacy. If he wanted to tell me what it was about fine but still it raised my suspicion. Today my father called to confirm what I thought. The bf was calling to get my father's blessing. I now kinda feel like the surprise is ruined even though we've been discussing the possibility of getting married for a year now. Question is do I let the bf know my father let me know his intentions, or should I just play dumb since the bf never told me why he wanted my father's number so he still thinks he's completely surprising me.

Re: Dad told me, so should I tell bf

• Options
    MissSIX said:
    A few days ago my bf asked for my dad's phone number. I didn't ask why out of respect for his privacy. If he wanted to tell me what it was about fine but still it raised my suspicion. Today my father called to confirm what I thought. The bf was calling to get my father's blessing. I now kinda feel like the surprise is ruined even though we've been discussing the possibility of getting married for a year now. Question is do I let the bf know my father let me know his intentions, or should I just play dumb since the bf never told me why he wanted my father's number so he still thinks he's completely surprising me.
    Act surprised ... you may actually be surprised!  I knew that my (now) husband had called my dad (my dad didn't tell me; I knew because my husband let it slip that he was trying to get a hold of my dad).  But the moment that he actually proposed, I was caught off guard. 

Don't tell the boyfriend that you know.
  • Options
    That he has asked also doesn't mean the proposal is imminent. H asked my dad a full 6 months before he popped the question.
  • Options
    Repeat after me.

It doesn't mean anything.

A proposal is not imminent.

Got it? Ok great. Your boyfriend asking  your father for permission or getting his blessing doesn't mean he's going to ask you tomorrow. I know it's SO tough to do, but lay back, try to forget about it or at least not dwell on it, and let your boyfriend ask on his own terms. I think it was at least 5 months after my H let my parents know he was buying a ring that he actually asked me to marry him. It'll drive you bat shit crazy if you just sit there and think about it constantly.

Focus on the relationship you have now and enjoy this holiday season with your boyfriend. You have forever to be engaged and to be married so you don't have to rush into it because your dad revealed the surprise.

• Options
    How old are you?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    That's sweet. Try not to think about it too much, a proposal could be days, weeks, months away. You don't know how he will propose or when. The surprise is still there. 

• Options
    And to answer your question, I wouldn't say anything to bf about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards