Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite Wording Check

Hi everyone, 

We are getting close to ordering invitations and I would love if you all would check my invite wording. Both sets of parents are hosting. My parents are divorced, FI's parents are still married. Here's what I have so far:

Mr. Bride's Father 
Ms. Bride's Mother

Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of
DallasBtoBe
and
Fiance
Saturday, the twenty-third of April
two thousand sixteen
at five o’clock
Venue
123 Main Street
City, State

Reception to follow

Thanks in advance!

Re: Invite Wording Check

• List the bride's mother first. Otherwise, looks good!
  • You don't need the year. If your reception is at the same venue everything else is fine. If not, you need a separate reception card.
  • You don't need the year. If your reception is at the same venue everything else is fine. If not, you need a separate reception card.
    Oh, thanks! I went back and forth on year. Just as a general question, I've heard that including the year is not necessary (guests will know we mean this April), but also not improper (in case someone in the family wants to save the invite as a keepsake, it would be nice to have it noted). Is this still true? I will probably remove it, just curious. 
    And yes, we will have separate reception cards included. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    You can omit the year if you wish.  "Honour of your presence" is only used for weddings that take place in a church.  It is a faux pas to use it for weddings taking place anywhere else.

Ms. Mary Bridesmother
    Mr. John Bridesfather

request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    at five o’clock
    Venue
    123 Main Street
    City, State

Reception to follow

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    You can omit the year if you wish.  "Honour of your presence" is only used for weddings that take place in a church.  It is a faux pas to use it for weddings taking place anywhere else.

Ms. Mary Bridesmother

Mr. John Bridesfather

request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    at five o’clock
    Venue
    123 Main Street
    City, State

Reception to follow

I should have mentioned, the ceremony is in a chapel. Thank you!
  • Is the reception also in the chapel?  If it is not, then you need a separate reception card, with the address of the reception venue.  If this is the case, don't use "Reception to follow, because it is redundant.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Is the reception also in the chapel?  If it is not, then you need a separate reception card, with the address of the reception venue.  If this is the case, don't use "Reception to follow, because it is redundant.
    No, the reception is offsite. I mentioned earlier that we will include separate reception cards. So, we will leave "honour of your presence" and omit "Reception to follow." Is this correct?
  • No, if your ceremony is in a house of worship (chapel) "honour of your presence" is needed.  Do omit the "Reception to follow", though, and use a separate reception card.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    No, if your ceremony is in a house of worship (chapel) "honour of your presence" is needed.  Do omit the "Reception to follow", though, and use a separate reception card.
    That's what I said :) Leave "honour of your presence" on the invitation and omit "Reception to follow" since we will include reception cards. I think we're agreeing, just reading differently.
    Oh, thanks! I went back and forth on year. Just as a general question, I've heard that including the year is not necessary (guests will know we mean this April), but also not improper (in case someone in the family wants to save the invite as a keepsake, it would be nice to have it noted). Is this still true? I will probably remove it, just curious. 
    And yes, we will have separate reception cards included. 
    We included the year.  No harm, no foul.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards