Snarky Brides

Holiday Rant

So this is 100% ranting...it's over, I bean dipped already, but it still makes me so mad.

Thanksgiving was at my sister's this year. FI stepped out for a while to drive my mom home, because he's the sweetest DD, and she wanted to go home early.

While he was out, my sister started asking me questions about our future: where we would buy a house, if we would have kids, etc. Some of those questions are not 100% answered (example: we will adopt unless I decide I can handle pregnancy, which I have a phobia of- something we've discussed already), so I told her we'd figure that out in the next 3-5 years. Because that's all she needs to know.

Her response: "Oh, do you think you'll be with him in 5 years?"

Ummm, yeah. I've been with FI for 4+ (living together for 3+), and plan to be with him for the rest of my life. 5 years seems like a pretty short time in comparison. Also, WTF?

I told her as much, then changed the subject. But seriously, who says something like that?

What about all of you? Any similarly terrible holiday stories from this thanksgiving?

Re: Holiday Rant

• What the hell, Elizabeth????? That was totally NOT cool. And where did it come from, anyway? That is such a bizarre question to ask.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Well we found out DH's family decided to have Thanksgiving without us. Which he is pretending he doesn't care about but I think is just plain awful.

5, 10, 50 years, I'll take 100 if I can get it with my husband. Hopefully your sister just can't handle her drink and was trying to make a joke that didn't come off well.
  • APDSS22 said:

Well we found out DH's family decided to have Thanksgiving without us. Which he is pretending he doesn't care about but I think is just plain awful.

5, 10, 50 years, I'll take 100 if I can get it with my husband. Hopefully your sister just can't handle her drink and was trying to make a joke that didn't come off well.

Thinking back now, I think that was it. That, or her own commitment issues coming out. I was so unprepared for it though.
  • So not okay! I don't understand people. Why would anyone think that is funny? Ugh.

Can we just rant about our holidays on this thread? My FMIL called Tuesday morning to cancel coming to dinner at our house because she didn't want to drive. (Okay, whatever. But this is the second holiday she's tried to change the plans at the last minute and make everyone come to her house. Issue is, she has no table and we end up having to eat on the floor. Wouldn't be a huge issue except she has four dogs who are not trained who are all over you and your food.)

Anyway, she cancels, then asks us to bring her a turkey. So against my wishes, FI does. THEN she starts calling and bitching asking us what she's supposed to do. Is she supposed to clean and cook a turkey? WTF is wrong with us that we won't come do it for her? (We had other guests coming to our house.) I don't do emotional blackmail/manipulation well, so she's already learned not to start this crap with me. I told her to come over or not, she's the one causing issues, and I'm done playing her games.

• JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Update....kinda drunk update....

Same(twin) sister came over tonight for my friendsgiving. She mentioned she doesn't believe in marriage. 

I said FI were getting married, and it would be a wonderful party. (Jovially...the wedding will be, but again, I hope the marriage will last a lifetime. Obviously.)

She said, "And your divorce will be even more fun!"

Fuck that. 

ETA: Lesson learned about bringing up the fact that FI & I are getting married to my sister. Too bad she'll probably bring it up on her own to say things like that.
  • So what did you respond when she said that?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ouch! What a thing to say to anyone, least of all your twin sister! Sounds like she has a chip on her shoulder about something. I assume she hasn't been married before or had some awful experience with marriage or you would probably have mentioned that..I think if it were my sister I'd be really tempted to just tell her to STFU!

• AddieCake said:

So what did you respond when she said that?

I just said "I'm done," and left the room. I couldn't even be polite.

She left soon after. I have no idea if/when we'll talk about it.
  • I'm sitting here in my parents' house on my last day visiting (gotta go to the airport super early tomorrow).  Thankfully, nothing terrible happened, but FMIL and my dad both brought up wondering when they would get to be grandparents at some point in the last 72 hours.  The answer is "um, not yet, can we please move back up north and be a bit closer first?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2015
    Ours was tame, thankfully.

When my sister called my uncle to tell him that she was pregnant, his wife (I refuse to use the title "aunt") made this comment:
    Sister: "guess what"
    Reply: "You're getting a divorce?"

(They had been married for 6 months at that point).
  • I hate when people always default to this explanation but in your case Elizabeth I think it is true... YOUR SISTER IS JEALOUS!!!
  • fyrchk said:

So not okay! I don't understand people. Why would anyone think that is funny? Ugh.

Can we just rant about our holidays on this thread? My FMIL called Tuesday morning to cancel coming to dinner at our house because she didn't want to drive. (Okay, whatever. But this is the second holiday she's tried to change the plans at the last minute and make everyone come to her house. Issue is, she has no table and we end up having to eat on the floor. Wouldn't be a huge issue except she has four dogs who are not trained who are all over you and your food.)

Anyway, she cancels, then asks us to bring her a turkey. So against my wishes, FI does. THEN she starts calling and bitching asking us what she's supposed to do. Is she supposed to clean and cook a turkey? WTF is wrong with us that we won't come do it for her? (We had other guests coming to our house.) I don't do emotional blackmail/manipulation well, so she's already learned not to start this crap with me. I told her to come over or not, she's the one causing issues, and I'm done playing her games.

Next year don't invite your FMIL to your house for dinner.  If you do, she cancels, and she calls to demand help, tell her that she's on her own.  "Sorry, FMIL, but our plans are limited to our dinner here.  If you're not coming, we can't help you.  Happy Thanksgiving! Buh-bye!"
  • More power to you, Elizabeth. I think I would have slapped someone if they said that to me. 

Was she drunk at this event too? 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • MegEn1 said:

More power to you, Elizabeth. I think I would have slapped someone if they said that to me. 

Thanks! I literally just said "I'm done," and walked out of the room. I haven't really talked to her since.

I don't actually think she was drunk...she stopped by for like 10 minutes on her way home from another party, but I'm pretty sure she was the designated driver.
  • edited December 2015
    More power to you, Elizabeth. I think I would have slapped someone if they said that to me. 

Thanks! I literally just said "I'm done," and walked out of the room. I haven't really talked to her since. I don't actually think she was drunk...she stopped by for like 10 minutes on her way home from another party, but I'm pretty sure she was the designated driver.
    How are you guys handling Christmas?  I'm assuming you have to see her.  

ETA - sorry for just assuming you celebrate Christmas!  We're hosting 18 people so I'm knee deep and have severe tunnel vision.

• More power to you, Elizabeth. I think I would have slapped someone if they said that to me. 

Thanks! I literally just said "I'm done," and walked out of the room. I haven't really talked to her since.

I don't actually think she was drunk...she stopped by for like 10 minutes on her way home from another party, but I'm pretty sure she was the designated driver.

How are you guys handling Christmas?  I'm assuming you have to see her.  

ETA - sorry for just assuming you celebrate Christmas!  We're hosting 18 people so I'm knee deep and have severe tunnel vision.

No problem! I'm not a believer, and my FI's Jewish, but my family is Catholic, so usually we'd celebrate.

No one's doing a big meal this year, so FI & I are going to see my family Christmas Eve, then dinner with friends on Christmas Day. Hopefully my sis will see everyone Christmas Day. It just worked out that way, but I glad to get some more time to get perspective.
  • I have  a new rant.  Every year for Christmas Eve my parents come over for dinner at 6.  We eat, facetime my sister in Florida and open presents together.

She just texted about an hour ago in our group text to say that 6 was really late because my niece (adorable, beautiful baby that I love) goes to bed at 7 and takes a bath first.

We've been talking all week about our plans.  She's known all week I intend to finish Christmas shopping and go grocery shopping before my parents come over.  Never once did she mention that Baby C is on a schedule and we may need to alter our plans.  So now I can host earlier and just scramble during the day or keep my plans and be accused of "ruining Christmas" because she's the golden child and everything in my dads world revolves around her.  

She says I should have asked her when our parents could come over so I knew it was a good time!  Thank god for happy hour with my best friend in a couple hours.
  • I have  a new rant.  Every year for Christmas Eve my parents come over for dinner at 6.  We eat, facetime my sister in Florida and open presents together.

She just texted about an hour ago in our group text to say that 6 was really late because my niece (adorable, beautiful baby that I love) goes to bed at 7 and takes a bath first.

We've been talking all week about our plans.  She's known all week I intend to finish Christmas shopping and go grocery shopping before my parents come over.  Never once did she mention that Baby C is on a schedule and we may need to alter our plans.  So now I can host earlier and just scramble during the day or keep my plans and be accused of "ruining Christmas" because she's the golden child and everything in my dads world revolves around her.  

She says I should have asked her when our parents could come over so I knew it was a good time!  Thank god for happy hour with my best friend in a couple hours.

So this is a bit late (and I'm mostly a lurker, but I had to come out for this one) but that's plain rude. I have 18mo twins, and we were hosting Xmas eve for 30 at my parents house (where we live). I made it a point to touch base with everyone and request that we move plans up from our usual 6pm start time to accommodate bedtime WEEKS beforehand. You were totally in the right to be miffed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards