Wedding Party

Bridesmaids dress issue

My dear fellow brides, I am in desperate need of some advice. I have 5 girls in my bridal party and told them that I wanted a combination of blush and coral dresses. I gave them the option to pick their color and of course choose the dress that they liked the most as long as it was 3 corals and 2 blush dresses.I thought I was being reasonable and that they were all grown ups to come to an agreement on the color choice. Now it's turned into a disaster. At first it was the MOH and my sister in law stating they wanted coral because they are so pale and now I have 2 more bridesmaids that want to wear coral dresses. At no point have they asked me what I want. So my question is help, what do I do? How do I approach them and tell them again that I want 3 corals and 2 blush dresses? I didn't want to be a bridezilla by telling them what to wear. Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Bridesmaids dress issue

• If you're dead set on the mix of colours then just remind them and let them deal with it amongst themselves. To be honest if they all want to wear coral and feel more comfortable in it, is it really that big of a deal? What if you used the blush colour as a highlight - bouquets/necklaces, shoes maybe. Then you'd have the colours you want but all your girls get to wear the colours they feel best in.

• Also, I'm super pale (red hair and freckles!) so I'd probably be vying for the coral dresses if it were me in your WP, any pale colours (particularly 'skintone' type colours) make me look ill. I suppose I sympathise with where your girls are coming from!

• azenkic said:

My dear fellow brides, I am in desperate need of some advice. I have 5 girls in my bridal party and told them that I wanted a combination of blush and coral dresses. I gave them the option to pick their color and of course choose the dress that they liked the most as long as it was 3 corals and 2 blush dresses.I thought I was being reasonable and that they were all grown ups to come to an agreement on the color choice. Now it's turned into a disaster. At first it was the MOH and my sister in law stating they wanted coral because they are so pale and now I have 2 more bridesmaids that want to wear coral dresses. At no point have they asked me what I want. So my question is help, what do I do? How do I approach them and tell them again that I want 3 corals and 2 blush dresses? I didn't want to be a bridezilla by telling them what to wear. Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's a bit awkward to expect them to decide amongst themselves who wears coral and who wears blush. Are you sure that the coral dresses are all the same exact shade? If the shades vary from dress to dress, having that mix might look nice. Also, it sounds like you have 1 BM who seems to be okay with blush. Would she like to do coral and have them all in the same color? Has anyone actually purchased the dress?
  • Thank you for the feedback. It's good to hear from someone else's perspective. I've been a bridesmaid in 3 weddings now and know the pain of wearing something I absolutely don't like. I gave my girls the option to actually choose between 3 different color options and told them they could wear any dress they wanted that they thought would suit their body type. The dress we (meaning the bridesmaid) that they chose and like is the Jenny Yoo Annabelle dress. They liked it because the top is versatile and it is flowy. The dress is all one coral shade. They all agreed to the color combination in the beginning. I guess ultimately I am not dead set on the coral and blush combo because I want them to feel comfortable especially because they are paying for the dress. I guess I just had something specific in my mind and was hoping they would understand.
  • alice6915alice6915 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2015
    No one has purchased the dress. It would all be one shade of coral and one shade of blush. The dress we chose is this blush on the left and it also comes in coral. So it would be that dress with just the color combo. :smile:
  • Maybe consider what @holyguacamole79 say above, maybe because they have a choice it's difficult for them to make a decision - especially if they are only friends/connected through you. Is it possible to get them together to try on both cols? Maybe if they can see themselves in each shade they might be more open, the shade of a colour makes such a big difference. The colours do look lovely so I understand what you're going for. I've been bridesmaid quite a few times and if I'm not given a choice I will generally wear what I'm asked. However, if I'm given a choice I will definitely ask for what I prefer and feel most confident in, so I really respect that you are listening to your bridesmaids @alice6915.

• alice6915 said:

I guess I just had something specific in my mind and was hoping they would understand.

It sounds like you had something specific in mind and you have them leeway (which is awesome), hoping they'd essentially choose what you wanted.

I personally like the idea of mismatched dresses in a similar color palette.

• It was great that you gave them a choice. However, I think this is a risk you take when you do something like this. Not enough of them like/want the blush, and you're expecting them to decide among themselves who will be forced to wear the color they don't want. I think you should just let them all wear whichever dress they want and don't worry about how many of each there are. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The choice was nice but it sounds like they're making a choice. As someone so pale I've been called Casper I'd go for coral over blush in a heartbeat. Instead of forcing the ratio, I'd do it with other accents like flowers or shawls.
  • I too vote for let them all wear coral and just do blush flowers. The flowers will be different enough to stand out against the coral dresses and everyone gets to wear a color that they feel comfy in. I wanted my girls to wear sky blue or yellow.... until I realized that they're all really pale and don't look good in either one. So I let them each pick out a shade of blue that they like and I'll save the sky blue and yellow for my tablecloths and napkins. I'll be doing mostly yellow bouquets for them too, which will look great against the blues they picked.

• Let them all wear coral if they want; order blush bouquets.

This. Unless the fifth is dead set on wearing blush, they can all just wear coral.

ETA

Dammit, you beat me to it.*shakes fist*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards