Wedding Woes
Options

Maid of Honor Difficulties

So....we recently got engaged a few weeks ago, and we are leaning towards a wedding date close to the end of this year in November if all goes well. We are planning a small wedding, and I only want two maids. The "clear" choice for my Maid of Honor is my childhood friend. We've known each other literally since we were 5. We have daughters the same age now, and we've maintained contact and Been close off/on. BUT she's not a very involved person and has a bit of a chip on her shoulder because she's not been in a relationship in a very long time. She also recently got fired. I was almost nervous to tell her about my engagement.

The person that I would ask to be my bridesmaid is the exact opposite. Newly married, a super planner, very positive and available. The bridesmaid person has been sending me all these ideas for the wedding and wants to plan my engagement party without me even asking.

It's putting me in an awkward spot because I feel extremely obligated and almost like it would be wrong not to ask my long time, childhood friend to be my Maid of Honor. At the same time, a part of me wonders if the one that I'm planning on asking to be my bridesmaid is thinking I'm going to ask her to be it? It's just awkward.

Is it ok for a bridesmaid to be this involved and helpful? I've been a bridesmaid 3 times, and I was only super involved once because the bride was a bit of a nut. Also, I feel bad almost asking my long time friend to be the Maid of Honor with her being unemployed, but she's made it very clear that she expects to be.

My plan is to formally ask both ladies to be in the wedding later this month.

Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

Re: Maid of Honor Difficulties

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2016
    My maid of honor was my BFF who was not very organized or motivated to plan anything. We were 23 and she just wasn't into it. I think if I got married today, it may be a different story.

My sister, on the other hand, is a super organized planner type person.  She spear-headed all the bridesmaid 'stuff' (shower, bachelorette, etc.)

There was no animosity or jealousy.  I think BFF was relieved to have someone else to put in all the work and it's my sister's thing to be a planner. 

I gave my sister a really nice and expensive bday present to thank her for all her help with my wedding stuff. 
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thank you!!! This is all a little new to me, so I just didn't want my long time friend to feel left out with the BM being so involved. This is great advice.
  • Options
    Is your childhood friend married?  If she is not, then she could be your Maid of Honor and the other married friend could be your Matron of Honor.  Or both women could be your bridesmaids.  The titles are in the end, rather meaningless.  No one, however, should be designated dependent on how "involved" they are with YOUR wedding plans.
  • Options
    My MOH isn't married, but I definitely believe that if I titled her a "Bridesmaid", she would be very upset. In addition, if I made the other girl a Matron of Honor (because she is married), my MOH would probably feel upset. She definitely feels like the title is important and has expressed on more than one occasion how she expects to be my MOH etc...etc...
  • Options
    Honestly, now that I'm thinking about things, in every wedding I've been in as the Bridesmaid--I always planned the Bachelorette party :smile: So hopefully my MOH will not make a big deal about the bridesmaid wanting to be so involved and plan things for me.
  • Options
    My MOH isn't married, but I definitely believe that if I titled her a "Bridesmaid", she would be very upset. In addition, if I made the other girl a Matron of Honor (because she is married), my MOH would probably feel upset. She definitely feels like the title is important and has expressed on more than one occasion how she expects to be my MOH etc...etc...
    Honestly, now that I'm thinking about things, in every wedding I've been in as the Bridesmaid--I always planned the Bachelorette party :smile: So hopefully my MOH will not make a big deal about the bridesmaid wanting to be so involved and plan things for me.
    I honestly think that your decision on "titles" should be independent of the childhood friend (MOH)'s possible reaction.  However, don't name your other friend as a MOH just because she will be more "willing" to do more work.

FWIW, I helped my SIL out with her wedding quite a bit (especially since we got married 3 months apart and I lived less than 5 miles from her at the time).  Her MOH wasn't as involved, and it didn't bother me one bit.  
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    You all offer great advice. I do have to say that the long term friend does have a teeny bit of an ego about it. I do like the idea of designating both of them as my Maid and Matron of Honor because honestly it's an honor to me to that they are going to be in my wedding. The one that is taking it upon herself to be so involved would not be offended at all I believe with the title of a bridesmaid though. I also don't want anyone to think that I'm going to "rank" them based on the work they put in. I'm fully ok with neither putting in any work and just being there for me on the day of my wedding. I understand they don't have some responsibility to me. I was just caught off guard by the enthusiasm of my one friend as soon as I got engaged versus my long term friend. It's new to me, and I don't want to make either of them feel uncomfortable about it with "titles" or some hierarchy.
    I don't want to make either of them feel excluded or less important. All that being said, I still cringe at the thought of telling my long term friend that I would also have a matron of honor. I'm pretty sure she will feel less important. :/ like I said, it is a bit of an ego thing for her. And wouldn't want still technically be "ranked" over the other? Doesn't the MOH hold the flowers and stand closer to the bride?
  • Options
    You all offer great advice. I do have to say that the long term friend does have a teeny bit of an ego about it. I do like the idea of designating both of them as my Maid and Matron of Honor because honestly it's an honor to me to that they are going to be in my wedding. The one that is taking it upon herself to be so involved would not be offended at all I believe with the title of a bridesmaid though. I also don't want anyone to think that I'm going to "rank" them based on the work they put in. I'm fully ok with neither putting in any work and just being there for me on the day of my wedding. I understand they don't have some responsibility to me. I was just caught off guard by the enthusiasm of my one friend as soon as I got engaged versus my long term friend. It's new to me, and I don't want to make either of them feel uncomfortable about it with "titles" or some hierarchy. I don't want to make either of them feel excluded or less important. All that being said, I still cringe at the thought of telling my long term friend that I would also have a matron of honor. I'm pretty sure she will feel less important. :/ like I said, it is a bit of an ego thing for her. And wouldn't want still technically be "ranked" over the other? Doesn't the MOH hold the flowers and stand closer to the bride?
    You are really making this into a bigger deal then it is.

If your friends ego gets bruised because she doesn't get to hold your flowers then she has issues.  And even if you make them both MOHs someone will still have to stand closer to you then the other.  Because unless they stand on top of one another, there is no way around it.

At this point you need to just decide for yourself what you want to do.  If your one friend gets butt hurt over whatever you decide then that is something that she needs to deal with and get over.

• Options
    Ok thank you! I've figured it out.
  • Options

Ok thank you! I've figured it out.

What did you decide?
  • Options
    I'm having a Maid of Honor and Matron of Honor. They are both good friends, and since I'm only having two in my wedding, it makes sense to me. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards