Attire & Accessories Forum

Can This Dress Be Altered for Me? - Need Advice!!

I am attempting to purchase a used wedding dress on a budget.  I came across a dress I LOVE for only $400.  But my mother & grandmother are saying that the dress is TOO big for me to even have it altered appropriately.

The previous bride is 5'10" & has measurements of 36x30x40. The dress is about an 8.
I am 5'2" & measure at 34x28x36. I am about a 4 or 6.

The concern is the height - they seem to think the waist will not lay at the correct spot on me.

THOUGHTS!?!?

Here is the dress: https://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/162070/Mary-s-Bridal-S15-6325-Size-8.html

Re: Can This Dress Be Altered for Me? - Need Advice!!

• My first instinct would be to say it's not going to work, simply based on the length.  That is a pretty big difference and the gown has a definite shape.  It would be different if it were an empire waist with a ball gown skirt.

However, I think you are missing some details (unless you have them but didn't include in your post).  Was she wearing heels, making her taller than 5'10" in the dress?  Or was she 5'10" in her shoes?  Also, will you be wearing heels, making you taller than 5'2" in the dress?  Right now, it seems like an 8" difference (5'10" vs 5'2"), BUT this could change in either direction.  Example - if she was 5'10" in her wedding shoes and that's how the dress was hemmed, and you are 5'2" but are planning to wear 4" heels, that makes you 5'6" in the dress and it may not be as big a deal to hem it.  However, if she's 5'10" but wore 2" heels making her 6' in the gown, and you're wearing flats, you have a bigger problem.  

My advice would be to see if you can clarify the height issue with the seller, AND ask her to take other measurements on the actual dress.  I'd see if she can measure from the top of the neckline (at center front) down to the waist/sash, and then from the sash (again at center front) down to the point where the skirt flares out at the knee.  If you can measure where these points hit you on your own body, it will give you a better idea if the WHOLE dress is going to be too long for you - or if you can simply hem it and maintain the shape with everything sitting in the correct spots.  Good luck - that dress is beautiful!

• I see the hem being a huge pain because the border lace will need to be taken off in front and around to the sides and then the lace appliques (that's the normal construction for a gown like that) on the skirt will need to be removed and repositioned.

Since it has a belt, some adjustments could be made at the waist for both bodice and skirt length.

It won't be an inexpensive job to have it altered. You could easily spend more than $400 just in the alterations and then it isn't a budget purchase anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards