Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dilemma - Friday Wedding - Invite Co-Workers?

Our wedding is scheduled for Friday about 45 minutes away from the location where I live and work. I'm stressing out about inviting co-workers... I am pretty close with them at work... we go out to lunches and overall have a great vibe. There's 4 of them. Now, since it's a Friday wedding, if I invited them they would have to take off an hour or 2 early. I'm afraid my boss and their supervisors will notice it's for my wedding and will feel very sour about the whole ordeal. Now I don't want to invite my boss. She's overall nice but can be very b*tchy.  To invite them or to not? Invite only 2 or all?

Re: Dilemma - Friday Wedding - Invite Co-Workers?

• Agreed. 

You are not obligated to invite anyone to your wedding (i.e. boss), and adults need to act like adults. As long as you invite your co-workers by sending them their invitation to their home, and don't go singing from the rooftop about your wedding at work, it's none of your boss' business why your coworkers request vacation time. 

Invite your co-workers because you are close to them and want them there- whether that is only some, or all 4. 
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Do you need to keep this job? Etiquette wise this is perfectly fine, and your boss shouldn't care why they are taking time off and it shouldn't be a big deal. But you know your boss better than us- if she is going to make your life difficult at work over this is it really worth it? These sound like good work friends not good friends you work with. Lunches and a good vibe are much different that "I have to invite them we go out all the time, I see them on weekends."

It's all very well and good to say adults should be adults, but often they aren't and 40 hours a week with a boss who doesn't like you is rough, even if she is being completely unreasonable.
  • What time does your wedding start? Anyway of pushing it back to allow people (not just your coworkers) not to have to take time off of work?
  • I agree with @STARMOON44 ... this could make things sticky at work.   I had a colleague years ago who invited the members of the team that she socialized with, which did not include the supervisor.  Totally okay by etiquette standards, but the supervisor took offense to it and made a comment.  Granted, this supervisor was a total jackass ... but I'd tread lightly.
  • I had a Friday wedding and it was about 45 min from our work location, and at least 30 min for most attendees. We had a 6:30 ceremony time to (hopefully) lessen the burden it might place on someone having to take time off work. I think some people did but it was more of wanting to have an excuse to take some time off work vs having to to make the wedding. We had guests say they appreciated the later start time so they didn't have to worry about missing work.

I  know that isn't your original question but just saying that depending on the ceremony time you might be able to avoid anyone taking off work (or just an hour or so) in case you are afraid of how it would look

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards