Chit Chat

Acne scar removal pre-wedding?

Still new to all of this, but The Knot magazine (book...) I picked up the other day had some time lines in it, one of which was 'create your beauty regimen' (or something like that) so you're ready for your wedding.

It got me thinking, I have one large acne scar on my cheek I'd *love* to get rid of, and a few smaller ones on the side of my face, but I can live with those.
I asked my derm about it,  she said they could do a chemical peel, but I'm less than 6 months post- large 2nd degree burns on my leg, and the thought of any more of my skin peeling off is terrifying. 

Is there anything else that can be done? Microdermabrasion? How long do these things take? I've got 10+ months til 'I do'!

Re: Acne scar removal pre-wedding?

• It depends on the type of scar.  Vitamin E oil or Mederma lotions may help, but they probably won't make an extreme difference, especially for an older scar.  Your dermatologist is probably your best resource on more successful treatments.  Unfortunately, there isn't any quick, easy, and painless scar treatment.  And even the more extreme methods aren't guaranteed and can require multiple treatments.

• How long have you had the scar? I had lots of scarring from cystic acne that faded over time once I got rid of the acne completely.

• Talk with your derm again and ask about other alternatives. My cousin had all over severe cystic acne scars and the only fix for her was the chemical peel. Since this isn't right for you I'd just ask what else your doctor would recommend and go from there.

I've had some luck with scar zone cream for a large scar on my chest but I don't know if it's recommended for your face.

• Thanks all, it's been there a few years :( Derm said for other than a chemical peel (which she 100% supports me not getting due to my burns! ha!) I'd have to go to a 'cosmetic' derm for fillers or something... and that's definitely not covered by insurance :)

It has gotten a tad better with 6 months of coconut oil, I will have to try the vitamin E oil too!
  • is it something that a makeup artist could cover sufficiently?
  • I'm going to pop in here for a minute. 

I was looking for ways to help sores heal faster a week before my wedding, because I have an awful habit of picking at sores, and it's worse when I'm stressed out. I found a thread on a dermatillomania support board that RAVED about calamine lotion, both for helping to heal up sores and fade scars out. Since calamine is less than $2.00 at Walmart, I picked some up. And it works. Both on scabs and scars, although there's a gross disclaimer in a spoiler tag at the bottom of the post.

Just for scars you only need a light coat all over the area. Put it on a cotton ball and just wipe a thin layer on the whole area. I honestly just put it on my whole face, just barely thick enough to be visible. It dries white, so you look a little like you're wearing foundation that's too light for you. It can be pretty drying, but I put it on at night about an hour or so before bed, and then moisturize when I wash it off in the morning to combat the drying. It isn't necessarily a quick process - but after 5 weeks of using it, I'm definitely seeing a difference. It won't help you if you're a week out, but if you've got a little more time than that it's definitely worth the trip to your nearest Corporate Retail Hellhole. (Don't go to a pharmacy; it was about $6 more for the same product in a store-brand.)

For scabs (if anyone might ever need it) dab it on pretty thick with a q-tip, and keep it kind of fresh if you can, because of the issue mentioned in the spoiler tag.

BE WARNED that the calamine, when applied to the sores, gets thick and crusty as it dries just like if it had scabbed over. It also itches and pulls a little more than a healing sore typically does, because the calamine is drying it out on top of the new skin trying to grow. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Mederma works, but you have to apply it as directed (twice a day) forever. I saw some improvement on the scars on my hand after a few weeks, but when I stopped they wound up looking the same as before.
  • I've had acne since I was nine (I'm 26 now, though the acne isn't nearly as bad). I have scarred, rough skin. I'm trying a chemical peel next week (my wedding is 13 months away). I may try microderm abrasion, though I've heard it isn't the best for scarring. Mederma didn't much help me, nor did prescription creams for dermatologists. Everyone is different. I suggest starting with the cheaper/less intensive suggestions here and see if those work for you.

• I've had acne since my teens. I've tried all the prescription options- been on Accutane twice. 

The Accutane worked amazing for me while I was on it (like acne and scars GONE!), but my acne has come back both times a few months later and I still have it at 28... *sigh*.
    It also has some risks to it- it's a 6 month commitment, no getting pregnant, and you shouldn't drink, as it is hard on your liver (which most doctors require monthly blood work to monitor). HOWEVER- I would still recommend giving it a try if it's something you and your derm think would work for you. I've known some others who have been on it and it did work as a permanent solution for them (sometimes you need to do two courses). 

I'm looking at going the microdermabrasion or chemical peel route now. 

I've also tried lots of stuff over the counter, such as acne washes/creams and skin lightening creams (like Garnier spot remover). The Garnier stuff helps, but it is by no means magic. 

Thus, I'd stick with working with your dermatologist and see what they can offer. It might mean going to a cosmetic derm. 
  • I'm a little late to this post, but I absolutely recommend micro-dermabrasions!  Most derms say you need a series of 5-6 before you really see results, but I swear I notice a (slight) difference even after one.  I would definitely do one a month for the next six months if you can (budget permitting, of course).  Good luck!
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    I'm a little late to this post, but I absolutely recommend micro-dermabrasions!  Most derms say you need a series of 5-6 before you really see results, but I swear I notice a (slight) difference even after one.  I would definitely do one a month for the next six months if you can (budget permitting, of course).  Good luck!
    Thanks! I will have to look into this more I guess!

Regarding the accutane- I've thought of that, however, I thought it was only for current acne? I still have a little, but it's not bad, it's really the scars I want gone. Also, I don't always have the best reactions to meds soooo...
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    I'm a little late to this post, but I absolutely recommend micro-dermabrasions!  Most derms say you need a series of 5-6 before you really see results, but I swear I notice a (slight) difference even after one.  I would definitely do one a month for the next six months if you can (budget permitting, of course).  Good luck!
    Thanks! I will have to look into this more I guess!

Regarding the accutane- I've thought of that, however, I thought it was only for current acne? I still have a little, but it's not bad, it's really the scars I want gone. Also, I don't always have the best reactions to meds soooo...
    Yes- that is what the intent is, but I did find it helped clear up my skin really well, including the scarring. However, if you don't currently have acne, I'm not sure it's something you want to pursue as it is pretty hard on the liver. 
  • check out Rodan and Fields Unblemish- ive been using it and my acne is gone and my black heads are pretty much gone and my acne scars are pretty much gone too! they also sell at at home microdermabrasion thing too that I havent tried but i know people who have and love it. Its supposed to remove 5 millions dead cells in 5 min.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards