Chit Chat

A little help please :)

My son is entering kindergarten this year and I have no idea what I'm going to do.
Since he was 6 weeks old he has come to school with me, I have always been there. This is the first year to be apart.
My fiancé and I work long days and he is full time in school traditional half day kindergarten is not going to work for us. Plus we are moving (we are purchasing his parents home) and will be in the new house next January) I have 3 options for school.

1. Send him in district we are in now. 1/2 day kindergarten for free plus I need to pay before and after care for him. (Maybe not both but planning for both). Move to new district next January and switch schools. Pray there is a full day spot and still probably have to pay for full day and before care but not after. Or take half day and find care for after.

2. Apply for him to be a Tuition student in new district at beginning of year. This will be half day. Pay before and after care. May be able to have full day if spot open but chances are slim and can't count on this spot. Also won't find out if accepted till August 1.

3. Send to private school. One price for all day care. Most expensive option though.

Sigh.

Re: A little help please :)

• If you are buying the house from his parents, why can't you just start using that address as a non-tuition student in the new district?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We will not be actual residents of the house so we can not.
    The school has been in a lot of trouble for non residents using addresses of house in the district so they are super strict with checking residency.
  • is there a chance you are not buying the house?    

If there isn't then I would change what I could so I could be considered a resident.  Change your licences, have bills sent to that address.

Anyway, I would try and keep him in the same school all year and start him off in the new district.      But I do not think option #1 is bad either.  I switched schools in the middle of the year.  No big deal.  Only you can know how your son might react to the switch.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with @lyndausvi. If you know for sure about moving, you could set up driver's license and non-utility bills for that address. In our school district, we have to show a utility bill as proof of address. Does your son have the same last name as your in-laws to help show residency? Also, if you have a signed contract on the house, the district might accept that as residency. I know when we built our house, it meant our daughter would be attending a different middle school. Since we had a signed contract the district let her start the year in the MS for the new house. Otherwise, I would just switch schools mid-year. Kids are pretty resilient.

• He does not have the same last name. Biologically he is not his son. He will be adopting after wedding but there is a lot of channels we have to go through to make that happen.
  • edited January 2016
    Could you delay kindergarten another year and just keep doing what you're doing now? When you move in Jan, get him on the waiting list for full day kindergarten for September 2017.

The school district may allow him to start kindergarten this year if you have proof that you'll be buying the house. 

• They won't when I say the district is super strict about residence I mean it. Home visits the works. And I have no plans to delay kindergarten.
  • Do you have any day care centers that offer accredited kindergarten?
  • Idk why so many people are suggesting that you commit fraud!

I'd keep him where you live now and move him when you move.
  • Idk why so many people are suggesting that you commit fraud! I'd keep him where you live now and move him when you move.
    Well I think there is a difference is using someone's address and actually knowing you are buying a place.  Since they are buy his parents I'm going to assume it's pretty much a done deal.  Unlike if they are just planning possible moving to the area.  

However, if it's not a done deal and just a possibility I would not be advocating him starting at the new place sooner than the move in.

• Marsupalami, I have no advice for you but I loved that cartoon your name refers to. I used to watch it every Saturday.
  • Fraud can be very expensive!
    Go to the school in your parent's district and explain the situation to them.  They may have suggestions that will help you.  For instance, If you have a signed contract for the purchase of the house, this could get your foot in the door for the new school district.  It all depends on the country rules and how flexible the administration wants to be.
    Are your parents living in the home you will be purchasing?  Sometimes you can make child care arrangements with relatives that will allow your child to go to the school in the district.
    What you do not want to do is lie to the school.  I used to work in a Maryland school where District of Columbia parents would try and lie their way into our school.  When caught, they school district sued them for tuition costs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Idk why so many people are suggesting that you commit fraud! I'd keep him where you live now and move him when you move.
    I don't think people were suggesting fraud - I certainly wasn't. However, like @lyndausvi said if the house purchase is a done deal the school district might be more flexible. It never hurts to ask. That is what we did when we were building our house. We didn't just send our daughter to the new school. We went through the proper channels. 
  • Can you apply for an out of cachement exemption? I don't know how it works in your district but I know in our area that in certain cases such as impending moves, you can apply for exemptions. Contact the school board and see if this is an option. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards