Favors
Options

Favors, yes or no?

I'm in the beginning phases of choosing favors for my wedding. I happened to look on this discussion board about different favors and it seems that a lot of people have commented "If you must have a favor" and say, go the edible route. Are favors going out of style? I was always under the impression that you should have favors. Any thoughts? 

I am thinking of doing butter mints. Since I am having an entire dessert table with various desserts. I also had the idea of getting mini pizza cutters since my fiance and I met at a pizza place. 

I understand that most people throw them away, or never use them and what not, so I'm trying to go with a drinkable or usable item. 

Thanks for the thoughts! 

Re: Favors, yes or no?

• Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I don't know about in-style vs. out of style.  I think with my crowd, favors stop around age 10 - they are things you have for little children's birthday parties, cute little games, pencils, toys for them to take home.  For adult parties, weddings specifically, I've seen them at maybe 1/3rd.  The few favors I've seen in recent days I could live without (although the one, which was edible, was appreciated since there was only one item on the entire menu I could eat).  But someone recently did cloth napkins with their initials and wedding date on them?  Most ended up on the floor at the end of the night. 

I think the trend is much more people paying for their own weddings, economies creating tighter budgets, and people realizing that favors aren't necessary and would rather that money go to something else (like another app or upgrading a bar package).  Honestly, it's about being smart with your money - why would you spend money on something you know most people won't use.  If you've got spare money burning a hole in your pocket, by all means go ahead.  At least with edible, most people are willing to take someone else's if there is someone who doesn't like them.  There are only so many trinkets or pizza cutters someone actually wants and since a favor is meant to be a token of gratitude or appreciation (rather than being something that shows off the bride and groom), you should be picking out something with the guests in mind and what would be most liked by the group as large.  As the entire reception is a thank you and expression of gratitude to the guests for attending the ceremony, the favor is just extra on top of that.

• Options
    kah1026 said:
    I'm in the beginning phases of choosing favors for my wedding. I happened to look on this discussion board about different favors and it seems that a lot of people have commented "If you must have a favor" and say, go the edible route. Are favors going out of style? I was always under the impression that you should have favors. Any thoughts? 

I am thinking of doing butter mints. Since I am having an entire dessert table with various desserts. I also had the idea of getting mini pizza cutters since my fiance and I met at a pizza place. 

I understand that most people throw them away, or never use them and what not, so I'm trying to go with a drinkable or usable item. 

Thanks for the thoughts! 

I think the big issue with non-edible favors is that many people don't have uses for them, so they don't take them or eventually get rid of them, especially if they've been personalized.  The problem is that those things just don't remind people of your wedding-they take up space.  And if they've been personalized, they have lower, if any, resale value.

Also, as the PP says, the money spent on favors can be otherwise spent on things that guests would enjoy.

• Options
    frenchiekinfrenchiekin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2015
    I've noticed a major decline in favors at weddings in my circle.  I rarely see them these days - only 1 or 2 weddings in the 15 we've been to in the past 3 or so years has had them, and no one even notices.  It's interesting, because I feel like weddings I went to as a kid or a teenager/very young adult ALWAYS had favors, and it would be odd to not see them.  As our peers have started to marry, I see them less and less often.  We did not do them.  

But yes, edible all the way if you're going to.  The pizza cutters are cute related to your story but we already have one, and how useful would a mini one be?  I think you'd have a ton left over at the end of the night.  Just something to think about.

ETA missing words.

• Options
    I think favors are going out of style for several reasons. I've noticed that a lot of people my age/in my circle have a real distaste for "stuff" that get's accumulated but adds no real value or serves no meaningful purpose. Most wedding favors will fall into this category, and many see them as a waste of money or a waste of space.

I rarely take favors. I know edible favors are popular here, but I highly recommend doing a photo booth. Those are consistently great hits in my crowd AND you can take a picture souvenir home, if you wish. I actually have quite a few photo booth film strips in my work cube that are all from weddings.
  • Options
    Oh thanks everyone for the responses! I've always felt the need to do them but hearing all of your thoughts has made me think that maybe I don't! :smile: 
  • Options
    My parents paid for the majority of our reception cost, and my mom expected us to have favors - it was "traditional" to her.  It was a small price to pay to make her happy and the least we could do considering they were already picking up a big piece of our wedding cost.  We did chocolates - we did not consider anything that wasn't edible.  
  • Options
    We aren't doing favours, that money will go towards extra for the bar as we are providing it ourselves. I don't think anyone in my circle has ever really bothered about favours at prior weddings we've been to with them, but by god they've made the most of a free bar!

• Options
    We are having a photo booth and are giving people little frames as a "favor." I'm not paying money for something people are going to throw away.
  • Options
    We are having a photo booth and are giving people little frames as a "favor." I'm not paying money for something people are going to throw away.
    Depending on what these look like, this is probably something I would throw away, FWIW.

• Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    My parents paid for the majority of our reception cost, and my mom expected us to have favors - it was "traditional" to her.  It was a small price to pay to make her happy and the least we could do considering they were already picking up a big piece of our wedding cost.  We did chocolates - we did not consider anything that wasn't edible.  

Yep, same with my mom. It was the little boxes with mints. Rather boring in my opinion, and that was the only thing I had to DIY.
  • Options
    I went back and forth on this topic for a while but I have finally decided to not do favors.  I could not think of anything that I was crazy about and felt I was stressing the topic too much.  We are having a grand wedding with lots of extra perks so I do not think people will miss not having favors.
  • Options
    I'm afraid you might be though.  There's a good chance that a little frame is not going to stay in my house, especially if it's cheap and/or doesn't fit in with my decor.
  • Options
    Photo booths (like others said) are a great favor without being a traditional favor. People LOVE taking pictures, and it really is the best souvenir for a guest. I've gotten shot glasses with the couples wedding details, which I thought was cute, and I use it all the time. But if it's not in your budget, then you can easily forgo it. 
  • Options
    Favours are generally given as a "thank you for attending"- but your reception is a thank you to your guests for attending your ceremony, thus, favours are not required.

The last few weddings I have been to, the favours were edible. One was hot chocolate mix with marshmallows and chocolate chips in a mason jar. Others were a small bag of candies or Hershey's kisses. The last wedding I went to didn't have favours but had take out containers for food from the late night buffet if anyone wanted to take some.

At our wedding we had a candy bar with baggies so guests could take candy home, but 75% of it was eaten during the reception! There was hardly anything left over when the reception was done (good!). 

The only time I've had a physical object as a favour was heart shaped cookie cutters. I kept them, as they are small and non-specific (I don't want something with someone else's wedding date on it), and I don't really have many cookie cutters, so they were nice to have. But I haven't really used them much. 
  • Options
    Photo booths (like others said) are a great favor without being a traditional favor. People LOVE taking pictures, and it really is the best souvenir for a guest. I've gotten shot glasses with the couples wedding details, which I thought was cute, and I use it all the time. But if it's not in your budget, then you can easily forgo it. 
    My brother and SIL did this at their wedding, but neither I nor anyone else I know has ever had occasion to use the shot glasses, and I personally think that the money spent on them could have been more usefully spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    My brother and SIL did this at their wedding, but neither I nor anyone else I know has ever had occasion to use the shot glasses, and I personally think that the money spent on them could have been more usefully spent elsewhere.
    That is a problem!

Just kidding.  Even though shot glasses are used in our house, I do not want to use one with someone else's wedding details (all our barware matches!)  I'd much rather have an edible favor.
  • Options
    I had a photo booth at my wedding but it made flipbooks instead of still photos...it was a hit, even with my husband's 85 year old grandparents
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    I will second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) that photo booths that print a copy for the wedding guests are pretty awesome. 

At a friends wedding, they had a photo booth that printed out two copies of the photos. The booth was maned by attendant. One copy was placed into a photo album where guests could add a little note along with the photos (this became the guest book), and guests got to keep the second copy. 

Pricey though. 
  • Options
    We didn't have favors at our wedding. I don't think anyone even noticed.
  • Options
    I think of favors as being a newer thing at weddings (last 20 years or so). When I was younger I never saw favors at a wedding. When my friends children started getting married was when I first saw them. We did caramels at DD's wedding. They were a huge hit - people were scavenging for ones that others had left, not many to be found. They were not very inexpensive-less than $2 per person (2 pieces/person) plus boxes from Oriental Trading Co. My SIL has a huge sweet tooth so it was an appropriate favor but not necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards