Budget Weddings Forum

No Wedding Party?

My fiance' has very few living family members (and not all of them will probably come to the wedding.) So I'm keeping our guest list to only family and mutual friends. I don't have any girlfriends in the area (moved here 1 1/2 ago) who I'd want as a MOH.

The easiest thing to do I figured was to just not have a bridal party. (There'll be a total of maybe 25 people.)

But ... now I'm wondering how that will logistically work?

Anyone doing anything similar? Or know of someone who has?

Re: No Wedding Party?

• What do you mean how it would logistically work? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Many brides opt to not have a wedding party. 

There really aren't a lot of functional reasons to have someone standing by your side during the ceremony.  If you carry a bouquet, you just need to have someone or something to hold them as you say your vows.  You can ask a parent or family member seated nearby to hold them.  You can arrange to have a vase nearby in which to place them, or a tabletop on which to lay them.  Your FI or officiant can hold onto the wedding rings.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Wedding parties are completely optional.  You are fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wedding parties are optional.  

• My friend and her H didn't have a WP, there really was no difference in the wedding itself logistically or otherwise. No one judged or tbh even really noticed.

If you've been lurking on here over the last few days you'll probably have noticed that we have had quite a few posters with very overly dramatic bridesmaid or MOH 'problems', so I commend you for not asking people for the sake of it. Only have one if there are people you truly want to honour and couldn't imagine getting married without them by your side. Otherwise it's for the wrong reasons.

Good luck with your planning!

• Just make sure to have a family member or friend be available to help you get into your dress (if you've got the kind of dress that needs help getting into). 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think having a wedding party has become 'normal' so I can see why you've asked the question. Have no fear, it is completely optional. I'm not having a wedding party and I will have my Mom help me into my dress and have someone in the front row hold my bouquet. We will ask two people (still TBD) to sign the registry with us. I'm looking forward to having my friends enjoy the ceremony with the rest of the guests. Good luck planning!
  • Thanks everyone!
  • My friend who got married this summer did not have a WP.

Their mothers, who sat in the front row, held and presented their respective rings when requested. Their mothers signed the certificate as witnesses. The bride handed her bouquet to her grandmother (also seated in the front row). No worries! 
  • I agree you don't need a WP, but the other responses reminded me of a friend's wedding.  She had her great-grandmother as her MOH as her whole bridal party.  Just another option to have an important family member take that role too.
  • I don't think @climbingwife had wedding party

• jenna8984 said:
    I don't think @climbingwife had wedding party
    We had a maid of honor and a best man. 
  • We didn't have a wedding party. My mom was in the first row and held my flowers during the vows. My husband had the rings in his pocket until the officiant asked for them. During photos the photog or second shooter took care of anything a moh might feel compelled to assist with. Our best friends, his sister and my brother, offered to do toasts at the reception - but they are not crucial to a wedding.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We didn't have a wedding party. Had approximately 50 guests - most family and a handful of close friends. My mom held my flowers, FIL brought up our rings, and our sisters signed our marriage license. 
  • Maid of Honor and Best Man for us. My future stepson will hold our rings. Our guest list is a total of 50 (including those in the ceremony). I agree with several other posts, hand off bouquet to a family member.

Best Wishes!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As everyone else has pointed out, totally optional and won't even be missed.  Just have someone hold the flowers (or have a vase on a table) when needed and have the DH hold onto the rings in his pocket.
  • Yeah, totally don't worry about it. I'm not having a wedding party. Just having my FBIL officiate and a former coworker, who introduced my FH and I, (awwww :p ) as my witness. IDK who FH's witness will be. Doesn't matter that much I don't think. I think it just can't be your parents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, totally don't worry about it. I'm not having a wedding party. Just having my FBIL officiate and a former coworker, who introduced my FH and I, (awwww :p ) as my witness. IDK who FH's witness will be. Doesn't matter that much I don't think. I think it just can't be your parents.
    I don't think there are any rules on this- besides having a legal consenting adult sign- at least not in Canada. 

As I said above, with my friends who got married without a WP, both of their mothers signed as witnesses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards