Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Undergarments

tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited January 2016 in Attire & Accessories Forum
I have my dress. I have the under-skirt for the dress (on of my BMs, already married, is the same size as me and graciously passed it on).

What about the boobs? When I look up wedding dress bras etc., I find everything from super basic strapless bras to push-up bustiers to lacy corsets to shaping body slips. 

Wondering what experiences/ advice/ caveats ya'll have about managing the twins under a wedding dress, and whether it's worth trying to spring for something pretty, or just keep it as practical as possible.

(For reference, my wedding dress is the one from this picture, but I am still interested in hearing stories from other dress styles, also). 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Undergarments

• Options
    I haven't bought my undergarments yet, but my plan is to see what options there even are in my size (which is somewhat uncommon) and then choose between price, functionality, and prettiness. (I'm expecting a pick-two triangle because that's just how it always seems to work out.) Functionality is probably my top priority if I'm going to wear it for hours and hours and get so many pictures taken; I'm okay saving the pretty stuff for the honeymoon.

Specifically, I'm planning to look for a long-line strapless bra because I need the support. As far as my dress-shopping and non-wedding strapless-dress-wearing experience goes, I'd recommend long-line if you're a D cup or larger or if you just like the more secure feeling of it. Normal strapless bras did okay for me back in the days of B/C cups, and I use a normal strapless bra for normal strapless dresses, but I don't really feel secure in them now that my breasts are larger. I wouldn't go for a stick-on bra unless your breasts are on the small and perky side; no matter what sizes they come in, they just don't offer a lot of support. (Also, I have an adhesive allergy, so I might be biased.)

I'm planning to get a body slimmer separate, not combined with a bra, because I don't want to try to fit two parts of my body in one garment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had the worst time finding something that worked under my all lace, illusion back dress; I recommend starting early! I had a low back but need to wear a bra. I ended up with a very structured corset that I unhooked enough to not show through the back. In hindsight I really wish I had just had the entire corset cut off and sewed into the dress (my sister just did this and she was far more comfortable than I was). I wore spanks underneath the corset so I was smoothed out.

I didn't bother with fancy pretty lingerie, by the end of the night we were both way too tired to appreciate it. I saved it for the honeymoon (TMI?).
  • Options
    I really think it's going to depend on what you're comfortable with and the structure of your dress. My dress was a strapless sweetheart neckline with a zipper back. I was 100% convinced I would need a long line bra of some sort to help support my DD boobs. My dress came in and I actually felt 100% supported and more comfortable without a bra than with one. I made sure the bust was altered to fit and I didn't feel the urge to readjust or pull up on my dress once the whole night!

As for the rest I just wore a pretty thong and some high waisted Spanx. I don't think I really needed the Spanx or at least it wouldn't have made a difference but at least I wasn't worried about a moment where my gut might be sticking out.

• Options
    I personally wouldn't even worry about pretty, just get something as functional and comfortable as possible because, as you mentioned, you'll be wearing it for a long time. You can always change into something pretty when you get back to the hotel room.   ;)
  • Options
    agree, no need to find "pretty" just find something comfortable.  I have always had luck with Frederick's of Hollywood, they have a smooth long line strapless bra that is comfortable and affordable and worked great under my lace dress.  I bought three different styles to try on with the dress just in case.  I brought them to my first fitting and picked the one that worked the best. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    @lachattefatale, I also have a feeling it will be "here's three, pick two". I like the idea of having something pretty, but I would value comfort and price first, I think. 

@charlotte989875, that sounds like quite the insane get-up with the corset! And totally not TMI. Honeymoon time sounds awesome!

@labro, I love the idea of just not having a bra at all! I may have to look into that! 

@Ghostie625 -- thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I'd been wondering. Like, does anybody worry about trying to have something sexy on underneath, or is it just way easier to wait and change later (if at all)? I agree that comfort seems like a big deal since I'll be wearing the outfit for hours. 

• Options
    @erinlin25 , thank you! I will check them out!

• Options
    @tigerlily6 It was freeing for sure!! But it seriously isn't for every dress or every person! I did buy a long line bra as a back up and also bought a regular strapless bra when my dress arrived and it was obvious that I would be just fine without a bra because the structure of my dress was super supportive and having the bra just added bulk and heat! Anyway, I AM glad I did. And it was seriously a pleasant surprise to not need one for once in my life.

• Options
    Update: I just bought my bra, and while it's not the kind of pretty I usually go for on bras, it was among the cheapest I tried on (under $60) and it's got sort of an Old Hollywood feel that's amazing. The bottom comes down low in points to attach the garters that come with it, and the top has a row of subtle flower patterning. Otherwise it's pretty plain and is very cone-bra-ish but it turns out cone bra boobs look pretty good under my dress. (Or rather, the dress hides any sign of cone-bra and just looks really good.)

So my advice is now to prepare yourself to pay up to about $85 (that's where the boutique lingerie store I went to topped out, at least on the 8 or 10 styles they showed me) and then try things on and try them on with your dress. Or if you're shopping online, make sure they have good return policies so you can order more than one and get your best fit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about panties?  I have my fitting in 5 days and it didn't even occur to me that I will need "wedding undergarments."  Since my dress is an open back I am having cups sewn in so I just need the panties.  I was thinking about just dropping into Victoria's Secret to see what options they have.  My dress is true white and though very heavy and think, I would prefer to go white or nude to avoid any issues, though I guess that's what the first fitting is for :smile: 
  • Options
    stamacy said:
    What about panties?  I have my fitting in 5 days and it didn't even occur to me that I will need "wedding undergarments."  Since my dress is an open back I am having cups sewn in so I just need the panties.  I was thinking about just dropping into Victoria's Secret to see what options they have.  My dress is true white and though very heavy and think, I would prefer to go white or nude to avoid any issues, though I guess that's what the first fitting is for :smile: 
    I think your best bet if you're worried about it showing is to go with something as close to your skin tone as you can find. But if it's thick enough it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
  • Options
    stamacy said:

I tried my dress on with bright pink undies and they didn't show through so color wasn't an issue. I'm someone who sweats a lot, especially when nervous, so I got moisture wicking underwear lol. Very sexy!
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    stamacy said:

I tried my dress on with bright pink undies and they didn't show through so color wasn't an issue. I'm someone who sweats a lot, especially when nervous, so I got moisture wicking underwear lol. Very sexy!
    I am seriously considering my nude Under Armour workout underwear - super comfortable and designed for a no show.  Not exactly sexy but my husband to be probably wouldn't even notice (or care) anyways lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards