Military Brides

Ivory Dress Clash with Navy Whites?

My fiance is an officer in the Navy and decided he'd like to wear his "Full Dress Whites" for the wedding. I had been looking at ivory dresses, but will I need to go white (to not look dirty next to him)? Or into darker "blushes," "champagnes," etc. or will it not be obvious? I haven't found many examples online. 

Also, bonus question, we both have our sisters standing with us. His is in the Coast Guard and wants to wear her uniform (white) as well. At that point, do I just have my sister wear white so she isn't "sticking out"? Maybe I should be the only one in color! I'm probably overthinking this. 

Thanks for any thoughts! 

Re: Ivory Dress Clash with Navy Whites?

• My fiance is an officer in the Navy and decided he'd like to wear his "Full Dress Whites" for the wedding. I had been looking at ivory dresses, but will I need to go white (to not look dirty next to him)? Or into darker "blushes," "champagnes," etc. or will it not be obvious? I haven't found many examples online. 

Also, bonus question, we both have our sisters standing with us. His is in the Coast Guard and wants to wear her uniform (white) as well. At that point, do I just have my sister wear white so she isn't "sticking out"? Maybe I should be the only one in color! I'm probably overthinking this. 

Thanks for any thoughts! 
    I think what color you wear depends on how concerned you are about your whites being off.  I don't think it would make your dress look dirty if you weren't in a stark white dress, but it would be noticeable that your two whites don't match.  If that bothers you then I like your idea of going the blush route.

As for what your sister should wear, I would just go ahead with your planning like you would if his sister decided that she wasn't going to wear her uniform.  I doubt anyone would think your sister was sticking out because she was in a color while his sister was in white.  They would just be seeing someone in their uniform and someone who is not in the service wearing a BM dress.

• Ditto everything Maggie said. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I just want to add that bridal 'ivory' is really not that far off from white anyway. Also, have you tried on white vs. ivory vs. champagne or blush or whatever you might be considering? I was 100% positive I needed an ivory dress because I'm very fair. But when I tried on an ivory and then a white dress, it was completely obvious the white worked better with my rosy undertones.
  • Uniforms are considered neutral.  I wouldn't worry about trying to match anything.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the input! I went with an ivory dress (Maggie Sottero's Elka), but I don't think it will clash too much (and his sister is wearing a dress). Dumb crisis in my head averted =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards