Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thank you note help

FI and I received a wedding gift in the mail this weekend and I'm stuck on what to say in the thank you note other than "Thank you so much for the flatware set."

The woman who sent it is someone I've only met once- she's a close friend of FI's aunt from work. (FI's aunt is like a mother to him.) I only figured out who she was because the initials of their company were after their names on the card. She and her husband aren't invited to the wedding and I couldn't say if/when I'll ever see her again. FI has met her a few more times than I have but I wouldn't say that he knows her well.

What do I say in this note?

Re: Thank you note help

• Options
    Perfect! Thank you!!
  • Options
    FI and I received a wedding gift in the mail this weekend and I'm stuck on what to say in the thank you note other than "Thank you so much for the flatware set."

The woman who sent it is someone I've only met once- she's a close friend of FI's aunt from work. (FI's aunt is like a mother to him.) I only figured out who she was because the initials of their company were after their names on the card. She and her husband aren't invited to the wedding and I couldn't say if/when I'll ever see her again. FI has met her a few more times than I have but I wouldn't say that he knows her well.

What do I say in this note?
    Don't overcomplicate it. Thank her for the gift, tell her why is is important, how you'll use it and that it was so nice for them to think of you. I know a lot of people like to talk about when they'll see the person next, but a Thank You note is really about the gift and the generosity of the giver. 

"Dear John and Jane, 
    thank you so much for the flatware set. It's such an exciting time for us as we build our home together, and this gift is going to be so lovely in creating memories. We will think of you and your generosity when we use it over the years, during Christmases, birthdays, family dinners and more! Thank you so much for thinking of us."
    This! @LondonLisa you should give thank you note writing lessons! 
  • Options

@LondonLisa, damn girl. Damn.

That sample will be my motivation to write beautiful thank you notes from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards