Attire & Accessories Forum

Adding straps to sweetheart dress?

I think I found my dress! It has everything I want AND is in budget! The only problem is, it's strapless, and with my chest I really prefer the extra support. The retailer says straps can be added no problem, but I'm not sure what straps would look best with the dress since I'm not a designer. Any suggestions?

Here's the dress: http://i0.wp.com/weddingoutlet.com.au/wp-content/uploads/products_img/elenora-ruffle-wedding-dress-online.jpg?fit=338,560

Re: Adding straps to sweetheart dress?

• A strapless dress is self supporting, so you can have any kind of straps you want.  Anything from rhinestone embellished to plain satin, depending on your taste.  What a lovely dress!  Since it has no lace, I wouldn't add lace straps.
    My daughter refused to wear a strapless dress, too.  That was difficult in 2011.  We went into one shop that didn't have any dresses that were not strapless!  We did finally find one she loved, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think I found my dress! It has everything I want AND is in budget! The only problem is, it's strapless, and with my chest I really prefer the extra support. The retailer says straps can be added no problem, but I'm not sure what straps would look best with the dress since I'm not a designer. Any suggestions?

Here's the dress: http://i0.wp.com/weddingoutlet.com.au/wp-content/uploads/products_img/elenora-ruffle-wedding-dress-online.jpg?fit=338,560

That dress is gorgeous!!!  I will ask if you tried it on yet...as many people find dresses they like online, but once they wear it change their minds.

I think a simple strap is best, something wide enough that you are comfortable with and just match the fabric color and type. 

CMGragain said:
    A strapless dress is self supporting, so you can have any kind of straps you want. 
    Also bear in mind this in mind...you don't need to add straps at all, especially since this ups your alterations bill and it could (potentially) make that dress not so budget friendly. :)
  • I once added a halter strap to a strapless dress by using some of the fabric they had to take off in order to hem my dress, so it was the same fabric for the halter as the rest of the dress. Although I agree with PPs, once you get it altered to you it won't really be a problem.
  • A good, supportive bra will go a long way towards making you feel more comfortable, and the dress itself is probably more supportive than you realize! Have you tried it on yet? A properly fitted dress won't feel like it's going to slip down and give you that urge to yank it back up again.

As a fellow busty girl, I totally get the feeling of support that even the illusion of straps can help provide. I would consider adding some sort of halter neckline in a similar fabric as the ruffles? Wait until you actually have your dress purchased and then consult with a good seamstress on what she thinks.

• I think there are two things that will look very nice with that dress. 1) Straps of the same fabric that appear like a V over each end of your clavicle- almost a cap sleeve but not quite. 2) Spaghetti strap halter either the same fabric as the skirt or same fabric as the bodice. 

I had spaghetti straps added to my dress; they were the same chiffon as the bust. 

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have not tried on the exact dress since it is only available in Australia, and I'm US-based, but I have tried on very similar and I'm confident that I will love it just as much in person as in the photo. :)
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2016
    here is my dress its suposed to only have one strap but i added two and my dress was a sweatheart top 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards