Chit Chat
Options

Cat Ate Garlic Help

My cat ate garlic. I've tried googling and I've seen answers that it's good for them and also that it's bad for them. Animal poison control and the animal hospital will only give me an answer if I pay a fee (I'd do anything for him but don't have as much as they want). So is it bad and what do I do?

Re: Cat Ate Garlic Help

• Options
    How much did he eat? You can sometimes give peroxide to induce vomiting, but garlic is one of those things that's bad but only in large doses, a little usually isn't too bad. He may throw it up. My dog ate a lotion bar with tea tree oil in it (bad bad bad) and was never the worse for it. 
  • Options
    Just a couple licks of some garlic powder that I had in a bowl. I think he only got a little bit before I saw and flipped out at him.
  • Options
    Also, look at online vet help forums. They usually require you pay a fee too, but most of the time your  question has already been asked by somebody else, and you can see the answer. 
  • Options
    If he's fully grown, I wouldn't worry. I would push water and food and watch for lethargy or pale gums, but he should be fine. I know mine have accidentally stolen garlic laced food off our plates with no ill effects. Toxicity is more common over repeated exposure. 
  • Options
    If it's only a little and he seems fine, I'd wait it out and monitor his behavior. Give him lots of food and water and if he appears sick, try to induce vomiting. But a little garlic powder shouldn't hurt them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Call an emergency vet and see what they say.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Emergency vet was my first thought. They said to call animal poison control.
  • Options
    Luckily everything and everyone I've asked so far say that he should be fine. Thanks so much guys. I'm also going to call the normal vet tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Teddy917, so glad to hear that! Keep us updated. In the future you will find extremely swift and knowledgeable help if you post over on the Health board at TheCatSite.com forums. I have been a member almost five years and it's one of my favorite forums. :) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards