Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup - Pro or no?

My wedding is about a 90 minute drive from my home in a beautiful tourist area with startlingly few salons. Since I wasn't familiar with either of the ones near my venue and couldn't find many reviews, my fiance and I decided we'll come home after the rehearsal dinner and I can go to my usual salon in the morning to get my hair done and still be at the church in time for pre-wedding photos. So I'm booked with a salon 90 minutes from my venue, but their basic bridal package includes both hair AND makeup (and trials of both). They're willing to reduce the price if I don't have makeup done, but I feel like it's a really good value and I know they're good at what they do, so I'm not sure what to do.

Would you get your makeup done before noon when your wedding is at 4pm and the reception is from 5pm to 8-or-9?

I'd been planning to do my own makeup, so I'm pretty comfortable if I go that route, and I can definitely do my own touchups. I know the hair will last all day (and maybe the next) just fine, but I'm worried about the makeup sliding off my face before the ceremony even starts. I guess that's what trials are for? If it makes a difference, they use Makeup Forever.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Makeup - Pro or no?

• If they use a good primer, there should be no problem with the makeup lasting 8-9 hours.  I've also heard good things about airbrush make-up lasting longer, but that may depend on the formula.

I'd suggest taking advantage of the trial, warn them about your concern, and then seeing for yourself how long it lasts.  They may also have suggestions about easy touch-ups between ceremony and reception.

• I would definitely opt for airbrush makeup, as it does last much longer. And make sure your MU artist knows the timeframe, because they may choose products that have longer lasting value or make some items a bit heavier, knowing they will wear a bit before ceremony. Do take advantage of trials to judge how well it lasts. But, I think you will be okay. 

I got married on a cruise ship (at port before leaving on cruise) so it created a long day that my hair & makeup had to endure.  MU/hair for all wedding party started at 6:30am, done by 8am.  We had to be at port at 10am, for 11am ship boarding.  The wedding was at 1pm, followed by family photos and reception.  So, it was around 5 hours between getting makeup done and my ceremony & family photos... it still looked great.  Then after reception, we had muster drill so ship could leave and didn't start our posed photos until around 5pm... so around 9-10 hours after makeup... it still looked great and photo ready... the only touch-ups I had to make were lipstick.   

• KatCtoKatA, the only thing is that I'd lose some of the value for my money if I booked the full package, did the makeup trial, and then didn't utilize their makeup for the wedding day. But yeah, it's probably smarter to suck it up and see how their trial does.

princessleia22, that is VERY reassuring, and makes the possibility of lost value seem less likely.

Thanks, guys.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2016
    I got my makeup done at starting at 9am and my hair done starting at 12. It was all MAC products not airbrush. Except for my lip gloss that I reapplied right before the ceremony at 4:30 and after dinner everything was exactly how it looked when we left the reception at 10pm. In fact I actually slept in my hair and makeup because we had to leave for our flight at 4am and honestly you couldn't really tell it had been applied the day before!

If I were you I'd just do the makeup to, it's one less thing to worry about that day. My makeup artist told me she decided to do her own makeup for her wedding and even though she's a professional she was so excited that day she couldn't draw a straight line for her eyeliner to save her life. 

ETA for grammar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my makeup done at 9:30 AM for a 1:00PM wedding and everything still looked great through the reception, except for lipstick. But that's unavoidable, you have to touch up lipstick through the day.  If you can afford it (and you like how the trail goes) have them do your makeup. Because then when you leave the salon, you are ready to go and don't have to worry about dealing with it later.
  • I don't know, I hate to be contrary, but I'd do it yourself. I'm doing mine since I'm getting married in another state and I don't want to spend the money. Even if I didn't care about money, I am not going to fly out for a trial or drive an entire day each way. I did my cousin's makeup for her wedding (after a "MUA" relative made her look um..not so pretty). I just like buying and learning about makeup via blogs/youtube but am in no way officially trained. If you find a good bridal make up video online that you like, and you watch it and practice a few times with the exact products you'll use and take some photos of your face, I don't see how anything can go wrong.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't do a make up trial, but got both hair and make up done the day of.

My hair appointment was booked for 9am, then I had make up done at 10. My ceremony wasn't until 3:30pm! Yep, lasted all day and night (yes, minus the lipstick, but I had to scrub the eye liner off). A professional make up artist knows what to do! ;)

If money is tight, then absolutely do your own. But if you have the funds, and they are giving you a great package, I'd say go for it. I'm not great with make up (I can do the basics), particularly not any type of make up that stands out. I also have acne/scaring so I really wanted a good job done on my foundation. And I figure these are photos of myself I'll have forever, and might as well make a day of the pampering. 

I have had my MU done professionally at a salon as well as at Sephora, and both turned out really well. 

• I'll throw another option out there-- have a trial, either with this salon or at a store makeup counter near home, and then do your own makeup with some new products and the guidance they give you. 

I went to the Bobbi Brown counter at Nordstrom and had them make me up; I bought the eye shadow and blush and recreated their look by myself on my wedding day. If I do say so myself, I looked great. 

Otherwise, having your makeup done early as part of the package sounds great. You can touch up on your own during the day with what you know wears out quickly (like me and eyeliner... ugh). 

• I'm sure you will be fine either way, they know how to make it stay and you can use a setting spray! I did my own an was happy with how it came out, just spent the money on good quality makeup that I get to keep :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also recommend using a setting spray if you don't go the airbrush route! Urban Decay sells a great one and I didn't have any issues with my makeup holding up through the entire day or reception. Also definitely recommend a good face and eye primer before you have any make-up put on.

I actually wasn't planning on pro make up until I decided to have make-up done at Sephora for my e-photos. I was so pleasantly surprised and happy with the results that I figured I would give pro make-up a go for the wedding too. I ended up having 2 make-up trials....the first just didn't meet my expectations and the person who did it didn't really listen to my input or do a great job. The salon gave me a free redo and I was much much happier with the second person I worked with. You're already going to the same salon for your hair and the package seems like a good deal so I'd go for it....but don't hesitate to address any concerns if for any reason you aren't happy with the results from your trial.

• I got my makeup done around 1pm for a 6pm ceremony - it held up fine!  No airbrush either (my trial looked awful - redid with traditional and it was so much better!).  No matter what, unless you're very skilled in applying makeup that will be photographed, I would go with a pro.  All eyes will be on you and the pictures will be there forever - to me, it's worth the splurge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards