Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Breakfast for Dinner?

Hello! My reception is at 5:30 p.m. on a June Saturday. My fiance and I dig breakfast/brunch foods (we always have fun experimenting with it, make it a big production on weekends, etc.). I thought it would be fun to have those for our reception and I got a quote from the caterer for bacon/sausage/hash browns/assorted quiche/waffle station. I don't love cake, but a local "hip" (think maple/bacon and champagne/pop rocks) donut shop does mass orders, and though we want beer/wine, we could also have mimosas.

I was excited at the idea, but a brief survey has shown a lot of people think it might come across as cheap or just odd to have those foods in the evening. The brunch buffet isn't that much different price-wise from plated dinners for chicken, veggie, and beef. Not sure if it matters, but the venue is exposed brick/dark walls vibe, and we'll have dancing. It'll be around 150 people. 

My fiance and I are paying, so I feel like I should just ignore the input, but also, I don't want people hungry or bummed out at what should be a celebration. I won't die if we have to serve chicken. Most negative input is from people in the 50+ crowd, so this might be generational. Does anyone have thoughts or experience in this "breakfast for dinner" realm? Thanks!  

Re: Breakfast for Dinner?

• Options
    I think it's odd.  Not so much cheap, but odd.      

I'm also not a breakfast fan.   When I do eat breakfast it's 1 egg, bacon and toast.  Maybe a yogurt.  I can't eat pancakes, waffles and such without going into a sugar low about 45 minutes later.   Well, I can, but I have to very careful and plan accordingly. So not worth it to me to eat them while out.

Even the rare times I do got to brunch I eat the lunch items, not really the breakfast items.

This could be a know your crowd thing and well, it seems like they have spoken.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I preface this by saying I am a HUGE breakfast food fan and love love love breakfast food at any time of day.  If there is a restaurant that serves breakfast food all day, chances are I'm ordering breakfast food instead of off their dinner menu.

That said, when I'm out with a group of friends at one of these restaurants, I'm usually the ONLY one in our group ordering breakfast for dinner.  I also know lots of people who just don't dig traditional breakfast food in general.  And I also know lots of people who would feel that breakfast foods skew 1) sweet, and 2) very carb heavy which is something some people may not want at dinner (and I definitely feel more satisfied for longer with protein than carbs).

And ultimately, the reception is about thanking your guests and as hosts you should want to make sure you're finding things that please the greatest amount of people - it's not just about what you and your FH want.  There isn't anything inherently wrong with doing brunch for dinner, but just know that not everyone is as crazy about breakfast food at any time of the day as you may be.  If you do it, I would definitely recommend you work to add in more of the lunch part of brunch to offer more savory, less traditional breakfast items.  So far the items you describe skew clearly towards the breakfast part of brunch with quite a few sweet options.  I would add a soup or two, a salad option, a vegetable or two, and maybe a carving station with sandwich rolls and condiments to make a sandwich to truly make it BRUNCH with both parts represented.  That will probably go a long way towards pleasing the more traditionalists who don't want breakfast or sweets for dinner.

You also could do a more savory dinner menu that's a riff off brunch items.  Such as an appetizer of deviled eggs garnished with bacon to play off bacon and eggs.  You could do a passed app or station of mini sliders that's composed of chicken and waffles, etc. 
  • Options
    Hello! My reception is at 5:30 p.m. on a June Saturday. My fiance and I dig breakfast/brunch foods (we always have fun experimenting with it, make it a big production on weekends, etc.). I thought it would be fun to have those for our reception and I got a quote from the caterer for bacon/sausage/hash browns/assorted quiche/waffle station. I don't love cake, but a local "hip" (think maple/bacon and champagne/pop rocks) donut shop does mass orders, and though we want beer/wine, we could also have mimosas.

I was excited at the idea, but a brief survey has shown a lot of people think it might come across as cheap or just odd to have those foods in the evening. The brunch buffet isn't that much different price-wise from plated dinners for chicken, veggie, and beef. Not sure if it matters, but the venue is exposed brick/dark walls vibe, and we'll have dancing. It'll be around 150 people. 

My fiance and I are paying, so I feel like I should just ignore the input, but also, I don't want people hungry or bummed out at what should be a celebration. I won't die if we have to serve chicken. Most negative input is from people in the 50+ crowd, so this might be generational. Does anyone have thoughts or experience in this "breakfast for dinner" realm? Thanks!  
    I think breakfast for dinner is like serving Vietnamese food, or Ethiopian, or whatever.  There is nothing inherently wrong with it (I like all of those, including breakfast food), but it may not have the general appeal needed to please a crowd.  DH and I love Indian food, but we didn't serve it at our wedding, because our love was by no means universal among our guests.  There are 364 other days of the year to eat breakfast for dinner, I would avoid it on your wedding day if the feedback from potential guests is negative.  Heck, you can have breakfast for dinner every night of your honeymoon, if you choose.

As for the bolded, the first half of your sentence misses the point:  you don't invite guests, ask for their feedback, and then ignore them and deliberately choose something they've said they won't like.  The second half of your sentence is spot-on.
  • Options
    Chiming in as someone who is NOT a fan of breakfast for dinner.  I think this is really the type of menu that you must know your crowd to pull off, and your crowd sounds like it is saying no.  Because your crowd seems to be saying no, I think you need to change your meal plans. 

However, I don't think that necessarily means ditching breakfast elements all together.  Would you be willing to consider taking some breakfast ideas but incorporating them into a more dinner-inspired plate? Say for example, chicken and waffles as an entree choice or a savory crepe option.  Or maybe appetizers that pull from breakfast ideas - bacon wrapped anything, mini quiches, etc.  And if you want donuts for dessert instead of cake, I think that's a good place to compromise.

Then, you and your new spouse could plan to have an extravagant brunch the next morning.
    Anniversary

• Options
    If this is something your guests really aren't into, especially since you've actually asked them, I'd stick with dinner items for the reception.

That said, you could have a really nice day-after brunch with some of these ideas.
  • Options
    I would go for it. I really really wanted to do this, too, but fiance was the one arguing "other people will find it odd even though I love breakfast for dinner and ask you to make omelettes and pancakes for dinner all the time." And that was literally his only argument. Not that he or anyone else would actually dislike it, but that someone might find it odd. And I'm totally okay with odd. (But he's not and I respect that so we're not doing it. But you should.)

Like any other menu, you'll be able to find specific foods that appeal to a broad crowd and have enough options to accommodate vegetarians and people with other dietary concerns.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

How about adapting the theme to fit the meal?  Chicken on waffles is a surprisingly good combination...  Deviled Eggs... Bacon, egg, and cheeseburgers...  Tater tots...  Hash brown potatoes..  Omlet station (since these can be an any time of day meal)...  Steak & Eggs...  The donut cake can work, just ask yourselves who is going to do the setup for you because it's a huge PITA... 

Yes, it's a "know your crowd" thing.  You could host a brunch on Sunday for those guests staying around long enough and really go all-out with the theme.  My main concern whenever there's eggs on the buffet/meal is that they're served HOT!   

• Options
    I love breakfast for dinner. It's a huge thing in my family, I have no idea how your guests might react to it though. 
  • Options
    I agree that this is a know your crowd thing.

It's not wrong, but it's also very non-traditional. I love breakfast for dinner, others don't. 

I agree with sticking to a more standard dinner meal but finding ways to incorporate breakfast items into it. 

Are you by chance doing a late night buffet? You could serve breakfast stuff then. 
  • Options
    I hate breakfast for dinner. I would think you were being cheap, find it odd, and think you care more about your twee ideas than entertaining. I'm 31, if that helps. 
  • Options
    I agree with others that it is probably not a crowd pleasing idea to do breakfast as dinner and you should stick with something more traditional.  But I think you should have the donuts.  They sound delicious and could be a cake substitute, part of a dessert bar or a late night snack.
  • Options
    I don't even like breakfast for breakfast so my vote would be no and I'm only 24. I'd be totally cool with the donuts for dessert though. 

If you do decide on this though, can I recommend maybe a fruit and yogurt station/option? 
  • Options
    I like breakfast for dinner occasionally, but at an event, I would find it odd.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My SIL's wedding had breakfast for dinner. Everyone there loved it! Personally I like to occasionally have breakfast for dinner so I loved it too. I don't think they told anyone before hand what it was, just said it was something different. When I saw french toast I got really excited. I say go for it!

What I will say is if you are doing something odd for dinner you might want to consider having cake instead of donuts. Some people might be upset by dinner and then look forward to cake only to be disappointed a second time. Alternatively you could keep the donuts and do a more normal dinner (though personally I'd want the breakfast).

Bottom line is I think it's cool to have something a bit different than usual but you don't want to make everything be different or people might not be as happy so pick what is most important to be different and go a bit more traditional on the other thing. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It isn't about what you and your FI love, it is about the hospitality you show towards your guests - ie what the masses would like. I can see a back up at the waffle station. Is there anything wrong with this. Not really, but my thought is this is the probably the biggest most important party you will host and you should be more interested in what your guests would like. I just think a wedding dinner deserves more than breakfast. As far as "everyone loved it" - if I attended a wedding with breakfast for dinner I would never say out loud what I would be thinking because it is rude. And, like most guests, I would probably tell the B&G what a great time I had and how good the food was.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    It isn't about what you and your FI love, it is about the hospitality you show towards your guests - ie what the masses would like. I can see a back up at the waffle station. Is there anything wrong with this. Not really, but my thought is this is the probably the biggest most important party you will host and you should be more interested in what your guests would like. I just think a wedding dinner deserves more than breakfast. As far as "everyone loved it" - if I attended a wedding with breakfast for dinner I would never say out loud what I would be thinking because it is rude. And, like most guests, I would probably tell the B&G what a great time I had and how good the food was.
    I agree with the statement that if I were a guest and hated the food I would not tell the B&G but at least from my post where I say everyone loved it that came from my conversations with the guests as I was a guest. Trust me we had plenty to complain about for the wedding so if people didn't like the food then they would have just said so. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds great!!! I say do it! I love different options for wedding food:) good luck and happy marriage
  • Options
    Haha I wanted to do this so badly. As long as there are lots of quick food options like fruit salad available so people aren't starving waiting for waffles then I don't see what's so controversial. Nobody hates breakfast food (that I have ever met) and no catering option will please everyone. It is very hearty so nobody will be left hungry- I would keep some lighter options too though, because I know if I was wearing a tight dress for a friend's wedding I may stay away from belgian waffles or oily potatoes :) 
  • Options
    I'm doing donuts too btw
  • Options
    Haha I wanted to do this so badly. As long as there are lots of quick food options like fruit salad available so people aren't starving waiting for waffles then I don't see what's so controversial. Nobody hates breakfast food (that I have ever met) and no catering option will please everyone. It is very hearty so nobody will be left hungry- I would keep some lighter options too though, because I know if I was wearing a tight dress for a friend's wedding I may stay away from belgian waffles or oily potatoes :) 
    I know several people that loathe breakfast food.   They just don't get into the heavy carb-laden options.

I think this has the potential to work but it also could fall flat.   A waffle station would be a bit of a pain without multiple industrial irons.    And I'd rather see more brunch - style options for those that aren't into pancakes and eggs.  
  • Options
    I think the question you want to ask yourself is - 

Would you rather have some people love the meal and some people hate it (as you'll get with something like this), or have most people think it's "pretty good" or "not bad" (which is more likely with a "crowd-pleasing" traditional wedding meal)

Personally - I think this is doable as long as you include lots of savory options (also some non egg based ones); ham, sausage hash, etc. No matter what though, some people will not be a huge fan of this. However, am I usually a fan of the meals served at weddings? No, I tend to find them kind of bland. Do I understand that the host is being kind enough to host me and serve me something appropriate and reasonable? Yes. 

Have lots of options and your guests certainly won't starve. Will it be everyone's favorite? Probably not, but you also have the opportunity to pleasantly surprise a number of your guests as well.
  • Options
    I hate breakfast food. I would eat a salad for breakfast if H didn't think it was super weird. banana468 said:
    I know several people that loathe breakfast food.   They just don't get into the heavy carb-laden options.

I think this has the potential to work but it also could fall flat.   A waffle station would be a bit of a pain without multiple industrial irons.    And I'd rather see more brunch - style options for those that aren't into pancakes and eggs.  
    I agree with @banana468 to make it possibly work (and it still might not) add more brunch foods, eggs, meats, cheese so it's a mix of breakfast and lunch, at dinner. 
  • Options
    In love the idea of breakfast for dinner if it really connects with you and your fiancé!

HOWEVER,  I can completely understand how some may not enjoy this idea.  Instead of making it only breakfast as an option, why not serve a traditional dinner and have a waffle Sunday bar as dessert.  This way you can have waffles, but it would be a novelty item as a dessert.  You could also have stuffed French toast quarters as a dessert option.

Maybe opt for a donut cake to bring the theme home.
  • Options
    In love the idea of breakfast for dinner if it really connects with you and your fiancé!

HOWEVER,  I can completely understand how some may not enjoy this idea.  Instead of making it only breakfast as an option, why not serve a traditional dinner and have a waffle Sunday bar as dessert.  This way you can have waffles, but it would be a novelty item as a dessert.  You could also have stuffed French toast quarters as a dessert option.

This is an old post, but I love the idea of a waffle Sunday bar!
  • Options

I am loving this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards