Wedding Woes

::sigh:: 4 men in the world

Dear Prudence, 
A few months ago my boyfriend broke up with his ex-girlfriend and started dating me. He said he was looking for new places, but fast forward a few months and he hasn’t moved out of their apartment. He says he’s really picky about his living situation, and he’s paying his ex’s rent because she’s jobless. He’s over here all the time and has expressed deep feelings for me, but it’s become obvious his girlfriend is not over him. I appreciate his empathy, but am I being stupid? When do you stop being patient and draw the line?

—No Room Live-In Ex

Re: ::sigh:: 4 men in the world

• When do you stop being patient and draw the line?

Um, when you find out your "boyfriend" is living with his "ex" and neither of them have any concrete plans to change that?
  • Dear Prudence, 
    A few months ago my boyfriend broke up with his ex-girlfriend and started dating me. He said he was looking for new places, but fast forward a few months and he hasn’t moved out of their apartment. He says he’s really picky about his living situation, and he’s paying his ex’s rent because she’s jobless. He’s over here all the time and has expressed deep feelings for me, but it’s become obvious his girlfriend is not over him. I appreciate his empathy, but am I being stupid? When do you stop being patient and draw the line?

—No Room Live-In Ex

Yes. Yes you are absolutely being stupid. And naive.

• *crickets*

"No, babe, we're totally broken up."

• You know one day she's going to find out that her "boyfriend" is married to this chick, and she's going to just be SO SHOCKED....

SaveSave
  • @mrs.conn23, silly question: does '4 men in the world' refer to something in particular? My google searches (not in depth) haven't come up with a clear answer.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2016
    bizzy592 said:
    @mrs.conn23, silly question: does '4 men in the world' refer to something in particular? My google searches (not in depth) haven't come up with a clear answer.
    It's a Wedding Woes-ism (started by Kuus or Hmo, I think).  It basically refers to people who are ridiculous relationship situations and don't see how their actions have led them to this shitty ass place where they feel they have no 'options' for a better partner.
  • bizzy592 said:
    @mrs.conn23, silly question: does '4 men in the world' refer to something in particular? My google searches (not in depth) haven't come up with a clear answer.
    It's a Wedding Woes-ism (started by Kuus or Hmo, I think).  It basically refers to people who are ridiculous relationship situations and don't see how their actions have led them to this shitty ass place where they feel they have no 'options' for a better partner.
    "There are more than four men in the world" = plenty of fish in the sea = DTMFA
  • Heffalump said:
    bizzy592 said:
    "There are more than four men in the world" = plenty of fish in the sea = DTMFA
    And also in the, "Why did you marry that dude?!" sense.  (I'm thinking of that lady from a week or two ago who 'has' to put up with her husband's ex showing up at her house every morning to 'see' the kids off and brag about her designer purchases)
  • Got it. I thought you might  mean 4 archetypes, but this makes more sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards