Wedding Party

Groomsmen Attire

Good Morning! I hope everyone enjoyed their weekends!

Last year my FI needed to rent a tux from Men's Warehouse to be a GM in a wedding. While he was getting measured and ordering I had someone else working there show me what they had for grey suit rentals to get a head start on our GM wedding attire. I was pretty disappointed because they only had one light grey suit option in their catalog.

FI wants for him and his GM's to wear more of a charcoal grey colored suit, not tux. 

FI recently had to buy a new suit for a work conference where he was presenting, and he found a very affordable option at JC Penny's. He spent about $135 on jacket, pants and shirt. He already has a bunch of ties.

We were thinking that since $135 is less than he paid for his tux rental (over $200) we would ask that the groomsmen buy their suits and shirts, and then we would buy them all ties(not as their GM gifts!).

All of the guys work office professional type jobs so it is possible that they could wear the suits again or even to other weddings or events. Its also possible that they have grey suits already and could wear those.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

I'm just curious to hear the feedback if anyone had their GM's purchase suits or wear their own.

I've mostly just seen rentals through Men's Warehouse.

Re: Groomsmen Attire

• dyerwise said:
    Good Morning! I hope everyone enjoyed their weekends!

Last year my FI needed to rent a tux from Men's Warehouse to be a GM in a wedding. While he was getting measured and ordering I had someone else working there show me what they had for grey suit rentals to get a head start on our GM wedding attire. I was pretty disappointed because they only had one light grey suit option in their catalog.

FI wants for him and his GM's to wear more of a charcoal grey colored suit, not tux. 

FI recently had to buy a new suit for a work conference where he was presenting, and he found a very affordable option at JC Penny's. He spent about $135 on jacket, pants and shirt. He already has a bunch of ties.

We were thinking that since $135 is less than he paid for his tux rental (over $200) we would ask that the groomsmen buy their suits and shirts, and then we would buy them all ties(not as their GM gifts!).

All of the guys work office professional type jobs so it is possible that they could wear the suits again or even to other weddings or events. Its also possible that they have grey suits already and could wear those.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

I'm just curious to hear the feedback if anyone had their GM's purchase suits or wear their own.

I've mostly just seen rentals through Men's Warehouse.

You can just tell the guys that they should wear a gray suit.  It can be up to them whether they purchase or rent or borrow from their roommate/dad/brother.    You don't have to make this difficult for yourself.
  • Thanks! I'm not trying to make it difficult for myself, I just wanted to check with others to see what their experiences were with buying/renting/using their own.
  • dyerwise said:
    Thanks! I'm not trying to make it difficult for myself, I just wanted to check with others to see what their experiences were with buying/renting/using their own.
    If you're okay with them wearing what they own, with the colors and styles being slightly different, and with the guys being comfortable with their choice of spending, just let them decide on their own.  It's like telling the bridesmaids that they should wear blue, any style any fabric and letting them decide for themselves how much they spend and what they wear.  I think you're good.
  • edited February 2016
    H told his GMs to wear a navy suit. They could wear something they already had, go buy a new one, or rent if that's what they preferred. They all already owned navy suits and were really happy they could wear something they already owned! Your FI's GMs will probably be very thankful if you go this route. 
    --

• The suits do not need to match exactly, and you can't go wrong with charcoal grey.  Your plans sound beautiful.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We did this. Our guys ended up with black suits from Macy's that they could wear again. They were all really grateful because they'd all basically been renting $200 tuxes from MW for a bunch of weddings over the last few years. It adds up!

That does sound like a great deal, but your FI needs to ask each GM individually for thier budgets and then make sure the lowest budget can still accommodate that figure. If it can, you're good to go! If not, you'll have to do some rethinking.
    *********************************************************************************

• We just did black suits. I preferred the gray look but the GMs already both owned black suits and H was the only one who needed a new one so we did black. I just don't see renting a tux or suit for $200 like you said so picking something they may already own is great 
  • We just asked all of the groomsmen to wear a grey suit. No specific shade or brand. There were varying shades. We didn't care.  In all honestly, the only reason we dictated a color at all was because we didn't think it through and know any better. In hindsight, I would have just had our attendants wear anything they wanted to wear and not dictated the dress at all. It just doesn't matter, and the comfort of our nearest and dearest was most important. 
  • edited February 2016
    First, your fi should talk to each of the gm, privately, to ask their budgets. I think what you're proposing makes more sense that tux rentals. They will have a suit at the end of the day. But it's their money, so you need to check with them first. 

Have you checked MensWearhouse outlet? Would charcoal blazers and any black slacks that the men own work for your wedding?

http://www.menswearhouse.com/outlet-mens-clothes/outlet-sport-coats?cm_sp=2016_01_19-_-MWOHero-_-50OFFBLAZERSSPORTCOATS

My DD and SIL wanted the gm to wear black suits for their wedding. As you know, MW doesn't rent suits. I called a local, family owned formal wear rental shop and fortunately they specialized in suit rentals, rather than tux rentals.

• One of my work colleagues was just telling me a similar situation last week. Her BF is best man in an upcoming wedding, and the groom wants them all to buy a specific suit from a dept. store for about £120. Relatively inexpensive, but for him a complete waste of money.  The suit in question is cheaply made so he won't wear it again, he would actually rather pay double for something he can wear to work and make it worth the money. I get that you guys want a cohesive look, but really it will look fine to have them all in grey suits - if they own already, great. If not they get to rent or purchase something within the budget that works for them. 

• My H asked his GM for their budgets, asked them to get charcoal gray suits. They decided amongst themselves to buy nice, quality suits from Macy's during a sale. They all decided they wanted/needed new suits and it worked out (BIL bought two bc they were such a good deal). Most of our GM wear suits semi-regularly (some daily) for work so they appreciated buying rather than renting. 

If you go the purchase route and you have time I would suggest figuring out when department stores or men's stores your FI likes typically has sales or if they do a bulk discount. We also purchased their ties for them (since they wore navy to match the BM we bought them). 
  • we did this.  All our guys purchased the same navy suit, and then we bought them new white shirts and ties.  Was slightly less expensive than renting tuxes.  
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback!!

I forgot to mention, FI did ask about budgets and all GM's agreed to around $200 since that is what they have typically had to pay for rentals in the past.

I'll ask FI to check and see who has grey suits and who needs them and go from there! 
  • Yes, we did this. 

I liken it similar to BMs buying dresses- ask each individually what their budget is. 

I hear you on buying vs. renting. Renting a suit is NOT cheap! Not that buying a suit is always cheap either, but when you compare what you're getting for the price, buying can be a much better option. DH had to rent a suit from a local suit shop (pretty large company that advertises wedding rentals). It was over $200 and the quality sucked- it did not fit very well. We had to pin DH's vest (and I am no tailor!) because it was so big. 

When we got married, DH asked his GM what their budget was. DH decided he wanted to buy a suit anyway, so he found a company that has made to measure suits that were in the GM's price point. 

I think the simplest route would be to tell them to wear a grey charcoal suit, and leave the rest up to them. If they already own something they can wear that, if they want to buy or rent, they can. If DH has found a suit at JC Penny in the GM's price point, it would be fine to let them know, "I found a charcoal grey suit at JC Penny for X price"- they can follow suit (haha!) if they want to. 
  • I agree with letting them wear a suit they already own if they don't need to rent/buy. 

We're having a more casual wedding. I sent out some info to the WP last month and this was the section on attire -

As far as attire goes, we are going fairly relaxed for the evening, as the reception is essentially a backyard BBQ and bonfire, and our main goal is comfort and fun. (I am wearing a wedding dress and will be a bit overdressed, but I checked, and I think that’s a forgivable offense.) [My FH] will wear a button-down shirt with a vest and no tie. He’ll also wear dark jeans and his boots.

Men, please wear a light-ish blue button-down shirt, in any pattern, with the pants and shoes of your choice. You don’t need to wear a tie or vest. 

Ladies, please wear a floral-patterned sundress in the length and color of your choice. You can wear any shoes that you will be comfortable wearing outdoors for the evening – heels not recommended! Jewelry, nails, hair, and makeup are all up to you. Makeup and hair for me will be DIY, but if you would like to go to a salon to get yours done, that is perfectly fine!

Obviously it's a little different with a more formal wedding, but IMO the principle is the same. Letting them know the general style/vibe (in this case "charcoal suit") so that they feel comfortable having their place "in the spotlight" on the wedding day, but not dictating exact cut, style, price, store, etc. helps to make them (and you guys) comfortable and happy. Keep it simple!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've seen mismatched charcoal suits with matching ties, and it solidified my and DH's decision to do black suits with matching ties. I always think men will look better in a suit of their choosing than a rented outfit. It always seems like the rentals don't fit right. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards