Not Engaged Yet

Bf insistent on 2016 wedding but hasn't proposed

Hi there,

I've never posted on here before but I'm having problems seeing things from my boyfriends perspective at the moment without including my own emotions and feelings about becoming engaged.

I am 26 year old whom has been dating her 31 year old boyfriend for just over 2 years. We have lived together for 1.5 years and even bought a house in September 2015 and also have gotten a dog together in September 2015.

We have been having an open discussion about getting married and "our future" for about a year but it wasn't until June 2015 that he randomly told me he wanted to buy a house that I opened the discussion a little more. I at first was super hesitant to buy a house before getting engaged and he was upset with my hesitance stating that it was obvious he had future plans with me. I ultimately decided to have faith and take the leap of buying a house together (I didn't put my name on anything because legally I could not and didn't want to until we got married and he totally understood).

Fast forward to October/November 2015 when he told me he wanted to get married in 2016. I was super open and honest with him and told him that weddings usually take at least 6-9 months to plan and that I would need that time to plan if he wanted to get married in 2016. Around Christmas time I had figured out that he had asked my Dad for permission. Just after Christmas he told me to start researching venues and vendors. His reasoning was because he felt my thoughts of getting married and engaged were a little unreasonable financially (I come from a big family that has had $30k+ weddings). I thoroughly explained to him that by researching venues, getting prices, and doing tours with him I would get excited like any girl would and that it wasn't a door we could really close if we opened it. He understood and still wanted me to research and tour venues with him.

Within a few weeks he started getting annoyed with our research and explained that even though he wanted to still get married this year he felt as if I was planning too much and getting too wrapped up in the process because I talked with my family about it and was super excited about it. However he also told his family and even asked his friends to be his groomsmen and would/will bring up wedding research in normal conversation with friends, family, and myself.

Last evening I was very open and honest with him and asked if he was still interested in getting married this year and he was very insistent to say yes. I explained to him that I've been getting a lot of pressure from people in my family whom are just super excited for us and have been feeling sad because I feel like I'm in this purgatory state where I know he's my person and love him but at the same time am just waiting for the question. Am I wrong to feel this way? Am I wrong to think it was silly for him to ask me to research or open myself to doing the research knowing it'd be hard for me to just stop researching?

I honestly do not think I'd feel like this if he wasn't so insistent on it being in 2016.  I'd be totally fine with getting engaged sometime this year and getting married Iin 2017. I have told him about my feelings about this as well and he still feels that it needs to be this year. He also told me last night that the proposal will not be for a few months because he has a big plan for it and is saving up for the ring, which is totally understandable and appreciated.

Does anyone else or has anyone else felt a sense of insecurity about yourself while waiting for the proposal? Am I being silly because I feel hurt that everything is so stop and go in this process? What's your advice?

Re: Bf insistent on 2016 wedding but hasn't proposed

• Thanks for the reply and kudos! I actually do not intend on spending $30k+ but he knew that from my experience in weddings with family that it would shape my thought process. He felt I was talking out of context about weddings and that I was being overly optimistic about cost and had my head in the clouds, which is why he wanted to research. To him research does not equal planning. It's just that: research. I have a difference of opinion but that's okay. Throughout the research process he came to understand that from what he and I both want in a wedding it will be around $17-20k. We have a little over a half saved.

I do really want him to make a formal proposal and he knows that and wants that too. I think I should just stop planning and getting anxious and wait for everything to fall in place. 
  • Thanks for the reply and kudos! I actually do not intend on spending $30k+ but he knew that from my experience in weddings with family that it would shape my thought process. He felt I was talking out of context about weddings and that I was being overly optimistic about cost and had my head in the clouds, which is why he wanted to research. To him research does not equal planning. It's just that: research. I have a difference of opinion but that's okay. Throughout the research process he came to understand that from what he and I both want in a wedding it will be around $17-20k. We have a little over a half saved.

I do really want him to make a formal proposal and he knows that and wants that too. I think I should just stop planning and getting anxious and wait for everything to fall in place. 
    I definitely think that's the best course of action!  What are you doing to help with your anxiety?  Maybe now is the time to learn a new hobby, take up reading, focus on ways you can save more money in order to meet your total desired wedding budget.

• If your boyfriend expressed that he would like to marry you in 2016, and you are in agreement with that, then congrats, you're engaged! Formal proposal or not, you're engaged. If your boyfriend does not believe you are then you two need to get on the same page.  @labro covered it well... an engagement is not defined by a ring, it's defined by two people deciding to get married and starting to plan a wedding - which is what you seem to be doing.

If you and your boyfriend decide you are not engaged, then you should stop wedding-planning until you become engaged. Take things one step at at time!
    --

• Thanks! I think we are on the same page about not being engaged.
  • labro said:
    Thanks for the reply and kudos! I actually do not intend on spending $30k+ but he knew that from my experience in weddings with family that it would shape my thought process. He felt I was talking out of context about weddings and that I was being overly optimistic about cost and had my head in the clouds, which is why he wanted to research. To him research does not equal planning. It's just that: research. I have a difference of opinion but that's okay. Throughout the research process he came to understand that from what he and I both want in a wedding it will be around $17-20k. We have a little over a half saved.

I definitely think that's the best course of action!  What are you doing to help with your anxiety?  Maybe now is the time to learn a new hobby, take up reading, focus on ways you can save more money in order to meet your total desired wedding budget.
    I actually will focus more on myself and working out etc. which is definitely the way to go for me. I actually have newly diagnosed OCD and it's hard to actually not focus on things like this but I'm going to really try hard so I don't over burden him or myself in the process.
  • Are you seeing a therapist for your OCD? He or she may also have some strategies. Also, stick around! We're very good at providing distraction! A lot of the women on NEY are married or engaged now but there are others who are like you too. We've all stuck around to help talk you off a ledge in those BSC (bat shit crazy) moments when the urge to wedding plan becomes overbearing.

• I had been seeing someone but they actually think I'm dealing with it well with my medication. I think it'll be okay and I'm sure if I need anything in the future I'd be open to going back.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • I think @labro covered everything I would better than I could say it (because she is wise).  I also "second" that you should stick around.  I'm married but I remember when a lot of ladies/women here talked me off the edge of worrying about a proposal and instead diverted my energy to more useful things.  In the meantime, help us get to know you and answer the following questions for us...

What do you do?

What does your SO do?

How did you two meet?

Any fur babies?  Pictures are mandatory.  ;)

How do you like your potatoes? 

Do you like guacamole?

Favorite book you've read recently?

Hobbies?

Favorite TV shows right now?
  • Xena is adorable!!!  We love puppy/kitty pictures on this board.  In short, I'm 34, an attorney, love any kind of potatoes and have been married to my H (39 and a software developer/architect) for nearly 3 years...we met online too (on Match).  We are expecting our first non-fur baby in June.  Here is an unsolicited picture of our fur-baby though...his name is Rajah.  He is a Great Pyrenees, 110-120lb, freckle-faced and nothing but adorable trouble at almost 6 years old....so if you think they outgrow their "testing" phase, fair warning, sometimes they don't  :)

• Omg Xena is such a precious pup! I have a nearly 3 yr old lab/border collie mix named Cinders so I'm ALWAYS a big fan of other sweet energetic black dogs. H and I also met on OkCupid around 5 years ago now. We've been married a year and 4 months is but I joined NEY before we were engaged because my sister told me about this site. Anyone who loves guacamole is welcome here!

• Congrats on the baby on the way! That's so exciting! And Rajah is adorable!

• Welcome! @labro covered everything, so no need to repeat.

I'm NEY, my bf and I have been together almost 6 years, and moved in together over the summer. I call this the trial phase. I know from having horrible experiences with roommates, that you don't really know a person until you live with them, so I said I need to live with someone before I decide to make a lifetime commitment. I have a 4 year old German shepherd lab mix who is a traitor and claimed my bf as her own. 

For now, stop researching, planning, and talking to friends and family about your plans. Consider this your trial phase and just enjoy being bf and gf. If your bf suggests you do more research tell him you have a general idea of what you need to save and are doing so, but cannot research or decide on anything until you're actually engaged. 
  • edited February 2016
    Everything @labro and @speakeasy14 said.  And I will second how amazing NEYers are at talking you back from the BSC ledge.  I was the resident BSC NEY lady when I showed up here, and they helped me out with blunt honesty expressed out of a place of concern and kindness.

And since we're doing intros--nice to meet you!  Love Xana...she's so precious!

I'm 29 and a college prof; BF is 45 and a government contractor.  We met when I took his class in grad school.  :-) We've known each other for 5 years, dated for about 3.5 of those, and became an "official" couple in August 2013.  He's been deployed overseas in combat zones for almost all of that time, so while we've talked about getting engaged, it won't happen until we know we're going to actually get to be physically in the same place.  I have one fur-baby, Smudge, a 9-year old lhasa also:
    She lives to beg me for my food.  

Edited because typing.
  • Hi! I'm not engaged yet either, been with my BF for about 6.5 years now, and I'm 24. Im a dog trainer so its my professional opinion that Xena is SO CUTE! I have a poodle puppy named Coraline :)

this group is so great about offering sage relationship advice and shared experiences, and I don't know what I'd do without them sometimes! Stick around and be friends!
  • This actually sounds similar to me and my FI. We had openly discussed our future together and knew we were going to get married, but the proposal just wasn't coming. We bought a house together last summer (but just like you guys, I didn't put my name on the lease because I wanted to be married first.) And his feelings were kind of hurt that I still wanted a proposal after we moved in together (like I was somehow questioning his loyalty or something.)

He was dragging his feet because he wanted the proposal to be this big surprise, but I cared less about the actual proposal and more just about the engagement, lol. Basically, I told him we were past the point where he could surprise me, and I'd rather just mutually get engaged and go look at rings together for a fun date. So that's what we did, and honestly, it was really fun! A big proposal isn't a requirement - at least in my case, it caused more stress just waiting for it.

But to be honest, it sounds like you guys are pretty much already engaged. And you are definitely not silly for having hurt feelings about the whole thing. Have you told him that your feelings have been hurt about it?
  • That is some mixed signals! Telling you to plan, then saying you're planning too much - geeze!

Anyways welcome. I don't post much (more of a lurker!) but I'm also NEY. We've been dating for almost 10 years (come april), and bought a house 2 years ago. I have others (friends/fam) basically planning this wedding, because it's been so long. I think they're just impatient haha. It's hard to stay sane with that around!

• Thank you all for the great comments, advice, and concerns!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    OP, i have the opposite story from yours.
    I knew DH for 9 years, and every year he asked me to marry him, and I said no, go away.  After several bad experiences with other guys, I finally called him.  He flew across the country and showed up on my doorstep the next week.  After four days together, he asked me to marry him again, and this time I said yes.  He flew back to his job in Washington, DC.
    He couldn't wait to get married.  I planned a simple church ceremony and cake and punch reception in two months.  The ring, which was ordered, didn't come in until the week before our wedding.
    We've been married almost 40 years.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards